• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any Construction Experts , Home Builders

Bee1971

Local time
4:23 AM
Reaction score
Have some questions on my large exposed windows in my basement , and the construction and framing around these windows

House was built in the Year 2000 , New construction when I bought - Two story home - Basement framing and windows where part of the new construction in 2000

I am not a builder - Just trying to figure out the Sagging above the vinyl windows after I ripped off the cheap paneling

Want to use cedar tongue and grooving or car siding in the section around the windows but don’t like what I see with the framing around the windows

Thanx Scott

Sounds like it was poorly framed
Pictures would help.
Agreed, could be framed wrong and the load is pushing down the header or something.. The "Illegals" do most of the framing down in Delaware near my Parents and it's horrible I don't even know how it passes code with what I seen on $650,000-700,000 homes.

Is there a header above the windows, or is the foundation sill plate all that's there ? You may be carrying the wall framing above, and definitely need a header for correct span. Get some pics up when you can...

Pictures tomorrow

Sorry if I get the terminology wrong

I removed a lot of the insulation looking into the construction , and of course Google

There is an outside rim board or header , that extends the full length over the windows
That extends from the outer corner of the concrete foundation to the opposite side 2 X 10

The floor joists are 2 X 10

Where the floor joists go directly over the windows , they attach with joist hangars (Like you would use in deck construction) to a second rim board or header

So in theory over the exposed windows are TWO rim boards or headers with joist hangars

All these first floor basement joists are dead nuts 100% level - Everything looks perfect when I removed the insulation
Zero issues throughout the WHOLE house - Doors , windows , drywall perfect in 23 years

Its the sill plates or boards or framing above the windows that has me scratching my

They doubled the sill plates from the concrete wall over the windows under the floor joists , everything in the basement and first floor construction is with 2 X 6 framing

It’s the framing itself or boards at the bottom of the double sill plates and the top windows that has settled or bowed

The way they cut some of the boards and layered everything on the bottom of the windows resting on the concrete foundation and the top that I mentioned I just don’t understand the theory

Three windows - Each at 38" X 60"

Yes

Pictures are a thousand words

Last edited:
Is there a header above the windows, or is the foundation sill plate all that's there ? You may be carrying the wall framing above, and definitely need a header for correct span. Get some pics up when you can...
Two headers or rim boards behind floor joists on the outside
Second header or rim board is above exposed windows , each floor joist has an metal hangar attached to header or rim board since new construction in 2000

Last edited:
It sounds like there may be a low spot in the slab. By your description I think it's framed correctly. Pictures would help diagnose the situation though.

Your description is confusing. The joist cannot be "dead level" if they are hanging off the header, but the header is sagging. I was a framer once, and then construction my whole life. I'll await the photos.

And maybe a cross section sketch
of the framing above the window
as to what you think is there.
Are there any cracks in the walls
(especially in the headers above any
door opening upstairs), or in any of
the walls in the basement?
It could be that your sill plate was not
sealed properly, and the headers are
sagging due to moisture.
If no cracks, it could be you're
dealing with warped lumber at it's
initial install. I've seen joists/studs
bowed 1" or more. A framing square
will help visualize how bad it is.

Last edited:
Post #5

All these first floor basement joists are dead nuts 100% level - Everything looks perfect when I removed the insulation
Zero issues throughout the WHOLE house - Doors , windows , drywall perfect in 23 years

And maybe a cross section sketch
of the framing above the window
as to what you think is there.
Are there any cracks in the walls
(especially in the headers above any
door opening upstairs), or in any of
the walls in the basement?
It could be that your sill plate was not
sealed properly, and the headers are
sagging due to moisture.
If no cracks, it could be you're
dealing with warped lumber at it's
initial install. I've seen joists/studs
bowed 1" or more. A framing square
will help visualize how bad it is.
Warped Lumber

Moisture - Heat / Winter

I think you are on to something above the windows

PICTURES THIS AFT

WORK WORK WORK

Anyways in my #5 post i mentioned Terminology in regards to Construction

I guess Rim Boards - Headers - Sill Plates
Terminology and my Wording need to Bee learned

Peace Scott

Look at the sandwich / shim job above and below the windows , once I removed the visqueen and insulation

Anyways

2AEABCDD-4360-4F46-885C-6FEB3EDBDFD6.jpeg

CD8F22EC-C604-42ED-AA2B-6A26D4848CF3.jpeg

8DED5174-8A3B-473F-B6AA-097F8B15D6C0.jpeg

5176F469-3721-4EC2-81B8-0F784474E559.jpeg

61C22150-2561-495D-807E-1680A71986C3.jpeg

Looks to me that you need a proper header over those two windows. Appears that the sag in those two windows is right below the blocking they used. The blocking is carrying the weight. Needs a header

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back