• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any opinions or suggestions for inside frame rail coatings?

clemul

Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
I have my front floor pan out in my 67 plymouth Belvedere and have great access to the inside of my frame rails. They are in very nice shape and I am going to blast them with my pot blaster to remove light surface rust.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to optimum coating to use to coat inside of front frame rails? As of now I am planning on using black epoxy (DP90LF) after blasting, and PPG Concept urethane black over the DP90LF. Any methods,opinions, suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated...what have you guys used and would suggest?

After coating inside frame rails I plan on hitting welding surface with Medallion etch seal rs512 welding primer (http://www.medallionrefinish.com/prodview.asp?prodID=1525)

Last edited:
I think the epoxy after blasting is the key. After all the welding is done, I would spray Eastwood internal frame coating or something similar inside to catch the spots where the epoxy burned off.

Go to Sherwin William Paint store and get 2 quarts of bridge paint, which is fortified with aluminum. Far better and will out last anything. Second choice go to PM Industries in New Jersey. Pat Mastrancola was the designer of Por-15 and is 1/2 the price of Por 15. before you apply these paints buy yourself a long Furance fLUE BRUSH WHICH HAS A WIRE HANDLE AND STICK IT IN FRAME AND SCRUB THE **** OUT OF IT. THEN APPLY THE BRIDGE PAINT WITH A PUMP SPRAYER. yOU WILL HAVE TO THIN THE PAINT WHICH IS OK. IT WILL REQUIRE 2 COATS. IF YOU WANT IT TO GO EVERYWHERE THEN ADD A SMALL AMOUNT OF FISH EYE ELIMINATOR WHICH IS NOTHING MORE THAN DETERGENT THIS WILL GET PAINT TO SEEP IN ALL THE CRACKS.

Another real good option after everything is welded up and coated, is use a under panel coating like 3M Rustfighter or Rustfighter II. You twist the bottle onto a standard body schutz gun, use a flexible 3' long flexible wand and spray it in any nook and cranny you can get it in (like frame rails, extension panels, rockers ect..ect...). It has the consistency of petroleum jelly, never dries and is an excellent moisture barrier. I know several high end resto/body shops that exclusively use it.

14348.gif

Propwash, I agree. Another option would be fluid film with the same type of 360* wand. Yet another option is Raptor bedliner sprayed with a wand. One thing to remember is that our cars will most likely not see the winters and rain like they did when they were new. Anything will be better than nothing!

I think the epoxy after blasting is the key. After all the welding is done, I would spray Eastwood internal frame coating or something similar inside to catch the spots where the epoxy burned off.

I would concur with the Frame Coating. Its very easy and the high zinc content and seeping action is substantial. It can get into very small spots.

I have used it and its very runny so using the tube to spray it can help keep it under control.

Randy

Auto Transport Service
Back