• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

any tricks to remove stuck pipe plug?

You could replace it with one like this

DSCF6139.JPG

First off I removed the housing and held in a vise. I don’t have any oxygen/acetylene torch so I was over able the heat with map gas torch. That go me nowhere. I tried breaker bar and impact gun. Impact gun finally stripped it round. I cleaned the recess as good as I could and brought out the mig welder. Laying a large nut on top I filled the recess and burned right into the nut, tried it twice but I couldn’t get the initial penetration in the recess. Only a 110v mig. I then placed a bolt into the recess and welded it in. The bolt broke right away but I had a solid weld to the stuck plug. Ground it clean put another nut on top of it and got a good burn onto the broken off bolt. Came right out after that.

Great time to upgrade to an aluminum pump housing and water pump, lighter just an idea.

the heat of the weld will free it up every time..... threading the nut on only a couple turns, the extra time it takes to "fill up" the nut allows the heat to travel down the threads

whenever I break something off, this is my "go to" when possible

Yup, fill the nut to the top.... That extra wire your burning into the hole is also extra heat into the hole..

You were worried about discoloring the paint? Really?
Yes , I know what I’m like. I had just refinished the front and top of engine. Afterwards I decided I wanted a gauge, so I needed to remove that factory plug. So I ended up removing it all and refinished to better than before. Makes a difference to me. Just waiting on a nos sending unit for the factory gauge then I’m done.

IMG_9715.jpeg

IMG_9714.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back