• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anybody ID this 8 3/4 ?

Look again, that is a clutch S/G, ramps and wedges....
Yep, you're right. Third pic LOOKED like a cone to me, until I looked closer after reading your post. Fourth pic clearly shows a clutch. My bad. Maybe that's why I put my post as a question?

Yep, you're right. Third pic LOOKED like a cone to me, until I looked closer after reading your post. Fourth pic clearly shows a clutch. My bad. Maybe that's why I put my post as a question?
Third picture nearly fooled me to, but I scrolled to #4....
Nice unit to have around....

A friend of mine (since passed away) who owned a rearend shop, set me up with a 742 with a 3.91 gear, got me gears and a Detroit locker at his cost, and set it up for free, (for me. I had the 742 case). The locker now costs at least double what I paid. I wonder how much it's worth.(NOT intending to sell.... unless I decide to put a dana in my car.)
There was a guy on here a few months/years back that was asking about a locker, wondering what kind of "posi" it was. He got set straight.

1964dodge440cleanup2023 022.jpg

A friend of mine (since passed away) who owned a rearend shop, set me up with a 742 with a 3.91 gear, got me gears and a Detroit locker at his cost, and set it up for free, (for me. I had the 742 case). The locker now costs at least double what I paid. I wonder how much it's worth.(NOT intending to sell.... unless I decide to put a dana in my car.)
Prices have gotten crazy.... I see people asking $750-$900 just for the pumpkin... I've bought complete Dana's for less...
I have a set of 4:30's in my red car that I might rehome in the next year or so... I'm changing to a 5 spd & that has enough gear in 1st without so much gear in the back...

Currently 4.30 x 2.45 = 10.53
with the 5 spd 3.55 x 3.27 = 11.6
4.30's with that trans would just be stupid.... 4.30 x 3.27 = 14.06

Auto Transport Service
Back