• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody stack head gaskets for quench

3sloppydogs

Local time
5:22 AM
Reaction score
I need about .040 for a better quench. I'm to close now. I have an extra set of fel-pro that will raise the quench to a tolerable clearance. I am cheap too, so having said that I could stack the gaskets and that would work and save me some cash. I don't want to spend big money on a pair of gaskets if I don't have to
Anybody do this?

You should use a gasket spray between them.

God speed.

Yeah that was a trick I learned from the old guys when I first started. They would reuse old head gaskets and spray them with paint and sealer. I thought they were crazy.
Funny I'm the old guy now

Yeah I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.
That's why I wondering about stacking

A standard Felpro .039" isn't close enough?

Cosmetic makes them. Expensive, but reusable if you have to pull heads. Great for SC applications.
Yeah Cometic might be your only choice. Talked to one of their reps a while back he says ok to reuse for mockup but not after being run. IDK but for their prices I would clean them up and hit with copper coat.

I have the fel-pros. If I stack them i can get the clearance I need. The problem is the piston has a rise above the valve relief, they are KB something and the heads are edlebrock with no relief outside the chamber so the quench is about 010. If I use the single fel-pros it doesn't raise the head enough for proper quench,hence the question about stacking

Sounds like you are using a KB reverse dome with a closed chamber Eddy head. I used them with 906s and the FelPro and still had to clearance the head a wee bit.

I wouldn't stack head gaskets. Never heard of such a thing truthfully. 440'

Early hi perf 409 chevies came from the factory with stacked head gaskets. Racers pulled one set out.

Then again, that's how the apocryphal story goes......
(And the oh-nine didn't have a combustion chamber)

Auto Transport Service
Back