• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody want to identify these internals?

DetSon

Local time
9:39 PM
Reaction score
I recently posted some unknown disc brakes I needed pads for and everybody nailed it. So hopefully this is more entertaining. I'll try to keep it as challenging as possible so the only thing I'll say is I was told it was rebuilt and had less then 5000k miles on it. All things considered I was pleased.
engine4.jpgengine3.jpgengine1.jpg

Looks like a big block bottom end with TRW/Speed Pro pistons. Your main studs look a bit short to me. I like to get a 'full nut' :D Seriously....all threads of the nut need full engagement.

Cranky nailed the pistons! And the rod nuts not only have less than ideal thread engagement but some are on up side down. Those notches or slots are to hold oil for accurate torquing but must face the washer side to work as designed.

Was the block align honed with the main studs or were they added later?

I see no evidence other than on the pistons that this engine was rebalanced after the installation of non stock pistons. Is it possible to remove enough mass from the piston to equal the weight of the factory cast units? Those TRW forged pistons are not light!

Interesting. I love you guys.
Well unfortunately I don't have any information on the engine. Looking at some other pictures I took and that's the same amount of engagement on all the nuts. On the back end of the crank I can see where they took some weight out of it but whether that's factory or not I don't know. I'll try to post a couple other pictures. I know the rockers aren't adjustable, I just wish I knew what the cam was.

I don't plan on racing the car on the norm but I do expect quite a few bursts of acceleration. Do you see a long term issue with this set up not knowing the particulars? The motor runs fine, no vibrations, good pressure etc. I'm assuming I wouldn't find the shortcomings unless I really ragged on it?

Kind of a hodge-podge of main cap hardware but if it works, and we can see the crank hasn't fallen out of it, I'd say go for it if the price is right. I'm sure the previous owner didn't just drive it to church on Sundays at 30 MPH so you are probably fine. When I said rod nuts earlier I meant main cap. Not sure why I was thinking rods because those look just fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back