• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone been vehicle shopping lately ? Or have insight on a downturn?

But our Cummins engines will last F O R E V E R!

If this linked article is correct diesel might be going up in price even more vs. gas
Biden's Diesel Fuel Supply Crisis Could Soon Cripple America in Ways Never Before Seen

I'm NOT trying to inject any politics into this !!
Just pointing out the article.....
What else is new? In 2008 I traded in my diesel pick up because diesel had just hit $5/gal. I guess it's went up and down since but the fact is Diesel has always been overpriced, at least in SoCalif. I don't know how the trucking industry survives, which is very scary

Simple. Don't buy. Don't buy anything.

Buy if you have to, but don't buy the new crap, buy a good used one instead and save some coin!

The best advice I’ve heard!^^^^^^
What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

Worst thing to do to a diesel, especially these new emissions ones is do lots of short 8 mile drives. Diesels should be fully warmed and drove a long distance preferably with a good load on them.

I would wait. Prices are dropping for used cars and are going to be dropping a lot more. Gonna be a lot of desperate people trying to sell cars they can't afford and that means the deals are comin.

Not to sound like the old crotchey man I seem to be turning in to....but dang the prices :(

Anyone have a crystal ball and can tell me when they will come back down?

I just read an article that said the used car market prices have dropped 10% in the last quarter. With economic conditions as they are, I think folks will be guarding wallets for awhile and prices may come down a bit more. Of course the flips side is you'll get less for the one you sell.

Really, a lot of people seem to spend all they can afford to. When food and fuel are up 20% like here in Canada it takes away from them being able to buy something big like a new to them vehicle. The car lots here are saying their inventory is limited but they've got stock jamming their lots and a lot of them are storing them on extra leased lots. I see this with my own eyes as I travel to different towns every week. Hence why I would wait another couple of months before dealing with the shysters.

I love my ecodiesel Grand Cherokee (2014). Nearing 100k miles. It's a fuel economy diesel, NOT a "tow the world" diesel. Long as you remember that (I tow with my Cummins), you'll love it. My Grand gives me mid-high 20s commuting in the mountains and low 30s on highway trips. 5,500#, AWD, Summit trim with ALL the luxury fixin's. Dollars per gallon are higher, yes, but dollars-per-mile? Definitely lower. I know, I track my fuel use because I have company vehicles / tax deductions / etc.

Maintenance? Bah. Fill for life HP8 transmission, no maintenance needed. Oil change every 10k. Fuel filter every 20k. Fuel in tank, DEF in tank (I fill mine once a year, to the tune of about $17...woo. hoo.), air in tires, filters when they're dirty, brakes when needed....and drive. No tuneups, no spark plugs, no coils...easy peasy.

The engine is a tank, too - six bolt (!) main girdle bottom end, compact turbocharger, and plenty of performance headroom - look up the Banks Engineering 630T to see what they're doing with it. It's a serious motor.

In nearly 100k miles, I've had 2 EGR cooler replacements under warranty; a leaking steering rack under warranty; a wheel bearing under warranty....and that's all. I have a list of diesel stations I use that have good fuel...and I just drive it. Starts like a gasser, quiet like a gasser, runs like a gasser, 6k redline like a gasser...but a hell of a lot better fuel economy than a gasser (and no repeated lifter replacements like the pentastar V6!).

As for current pricing...get used to it. Not just cars, but everything. Inflation. And, low supply levels overall. Those two add up to high demand, which results in high prices. Rates going up have started to end the "it'll be that much for it; do you want it or does it go to the guy behind you?" situations, but...demand still outstrips supply, and with the dollar worth less and less every day...well...everything costs more dollars now.

Didn’t GDP (I think that’s the tuner) have a good tune for those? I’ve read that the Eco got some serious power when it was tuned.

Worst thing to do to a diesel, especially these new emissions ones is do lots of short 8 mile drives. Diesels should be fully warmed and drove a long distance preferably with a good load on them.
For some reason I can't get a good T-stat for my 97. It either searches all the time or never comes up to temp so I just block the radiator. That plays some havoc with the AC though but as long as it's moving, the AC works well. Summer time it's blocked 65% on the highway (which I don't do much anymore) and winter time, 90% works well in town or highway. Being loaded is a different story.....

What engine, and what temp thermostat are you using? My '01 5.9 24v runs a 190 thermostat, and it's rock-solid at 180 empty or loaded and 190 pulling a trailer. 280k+ miles.

It seems everybody buys a vehicle because they want to. How many buy one only because they need to? I fit in the later category, because I prefer to have more sense and keep my hard-earned money!

Last edited:
What engine, and what temp thermostat are you using? My '01 5.9 24v runs a 190 thermostat, and it's rock-solid at 180 empty or loaded and 190 pulling a trailer. 280k+ miles.
5.9 12v.....have tried several and well gave up lol

It seems everybody buys a vehicle because they want to. How many buy one only because they need to? I fit in the later category, because I prefer to have more sense and keep my hard-earned money too!
As long as my old junk keeps running, I won't buy any new/newer junk..... :D I've 4 new vehicles....1 bike and 3 trucks with the last one being a 2000 fully loaded Durango. It's an SUV but with the trailer tow package, it did tow better than a car.

Yeah, my Grand is likely the last new car I'll buy unless something drastic changes in the industry. '14 was the last year without start-stop "technology", and it'll be out of warranty soon so it'll probably get deleted at that point. We'll see. I'll drive it as-is until (if) I start having problems, then see from there. But with its track record...it'll probably stay stock for a long time!

Cranky, you need to buy a Cummins thermostat, period. Nothing from the parts store, they tend to not work correctly and not last. I changed my original thermostat in my 11’ 2 years ago. Replaced it with a Cummins OEM, works as it should. Your rig should have a 190* thermostat in it.

As long as my old junk keeps running, I won't buy any new/newer junk....
Yeah, and they finally die at the most inopportune time! Then you have to carry collision and a vehicle payment!

Yeah, and they finally die at the most inopportune time! Then you have to carry collision and a vehicle payment!
So far so good plus I have 3. Ironic that my oldest driver is a 95 Dakota then a 96 Dakota that's really nice and then the 97 diesel which is still pretty decent except for the paint on top but that was bad looking when I bought it and is the reason I got it cheap. The ironic part is the succession of the years. Had the 95 since 98 (dad's truck when he passed) and the diesel came along in late 2000 or early 2001. The 96 has been around about 4 years now. Had to replace the water pump in the 96 along with a bearing in the AC clutch and an idler pulley. The others are still kicking along on mostly original parts....knock on wood. The 96 has the coldest AC of any vehicle I've ever owned!

More good news...

View attachment 1361889
That sucks!!

Auto Transport Service
Back