• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone do a trailer hitch?

scottlanes

Local time
5:26 PM
Reaction score
My daily driver is a 68 satellite 4 door and I need to add a trailer hitch. Anyone know a good source for a kit or individual parts I can get? I can drill, bolt weld, whatever, I just need the parts

I built my own

Bryan

Attachments

• exhaust0001.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 264
Look for a local custom trailer builder or RV supply store.

Also if you have a local iron supply business you can get square tubing and angled iron from them.

I also made my own and bolted it up to the frame where the transport hangers use to be connected.

yeah, thats exactly what I want to do. Is the square tube 11 gauge or so? And the flat stock that bolts to the frame looks like its about 3/8?

ok, followup question: Does anyone have a good source for leaf springs? My current ones are a little soft and I seem to remember that you can get extra stiff springs to tow a trailer with less drop on the rear bumper.

look in your area for a shop that builds springs :eusa_think:

No problem getting the boat to the lake in a hurry boys.....

-trailer-hitch-is-a-one-of-a-kind-its-perfect-for-towing-your-camper-or-horse-trailer-photo-2079.jpg

had a hitch on a 68 charger back in the day(almost sacraligeous now)the extra wieght bouncing around broke the upper shock mounting area,so just something to watch for.why not just get some adda leafs for your springs.

had a hitch on a 68 charger back in the day(almost sacraligeous now)the extra wieght bouncing around broke the upper shock mounting area,so just something to watch for.why not just get some adda leafs for your springs.

I'll bet you had air shocks and that is what broke them.

Love it. You know, my 68 GTX had a trailer hitch on it when I got it back in 1981. As I was doing bodywork on it, I removed it and gave it to my brother. Now, I knind of wish I had left it on there. It was a pretty heavy duty hitch...wonder what some previous owner was towing with a 4 speed GTX??

My shaker hood 71 Torino GT was bought to be a trailer vehicle.

I bought it from the original owner, and got the full story.

YY1, so what was the reasoning for a shaker Torino "tow vehicle"?

Original owner said he went to the dealership looking for a tow vehicle.

The salesman pointed to the GT, which apparently had been there too long, and said-
"that'll pull your trailer". I guess he got a good deal, and I guess it did pull the trailer.

351C-4v, auto, a/c, 9" open rear and a class II reese hitch welded to the frame.

When I bought it in 1991, it had snow tires on the back (in Florida?), and the owner came out of the garage carrying the other two rally wheels, still with the original wide oval white letters on them, as was the spare. Original belts, hoses, plug wires, all at 70K highway miles.

Auto Transport Service
Back