• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Drive Their Mopar With the Headlights On All the Time?

Its is like driving with lighted digital dash. Dash light in the day time as well as night.

Dont know how many time under city street lights I have failed to turn the lights on on count of this. Our old vehicles dont promote that problem. I use to associate turning the lights on when the dash gauges needed light to read.

But we all here are old enough, and driving long enough to be in the habit of when it starts getting dark, you reach for the lights and turn them on. Have you come to the point of all these unnecessary crap they put on cars that your complacent in your duties of operating a safe vehicle?
We don't need to take the human element out of vehicles, it makes it more dangerous for everybody!

none of my cars/trucks have auto-daytime lights
68 RR (I did add halogen headlights),
Dakota 4x4 (I did upgrade the bulbs zenon 55-65 watt),
2002 f-350 4x4 diesel Dually is my newest OE

there's areas I do put my headlights on during the day
it's rare
there's areas it's required by law here too

Last edited:
Parking lights are not meant to be used when you are in motion. They were originally added on to cars so that if you were pulled over you could use them to be more visible, however, hazard lights took over the use for being stopped in an unexpected location. You should still use parking lights when in a running occupied and parked vehicle, but should not be used when in motion, as this may confuse those old school drivers that recognize they are to be used only when stopped.

Parking lights are not meant to be used when you are in motion. They were originally added on to cars so that if you were pulled over you could use them to be more visible, however, hazard lights took over the use for being stopped in an unexpected location. You should still use parking lights when in a running occupied and parked vehicle, but should not be used when in motion, as this may confuse those old school drivers that recognize they are to be used only when stopped.
Now you tell me !!?! After all these years. I used to think parking lights were used when you were " parking" with your girl, like a " do not disturb " sign ......

I have always despised the idiots driving with their parking lights on, That's a little strong. I have run my parking lights right at that sweet spot before you need your headlights on. Our cars look good just at that time with the light dancing off that shiny paint. Now, hate on.........

I don't "hate" anyone else for whatever lighting choices they (or their cars) are making. It isn't worth the emotional effort, least to me. I only get agitated when fellow drivers come at me with lighting that blinds hell out of me - and you know damn well THEY know their fancy bright as the sun lights are annoying to oncoming traffic, yet do it anyways, to hell with safety concerns.

I'm just saying that every time I've had a vehicle to drive that has DRL's, I've decommissioned them because I don't want them on my own ride.

Now, that said my wife likes the auto light feature on our late-model Charger and uses it at all times.
When it's my turn for Charger visitation (she drives it daily; I get weekends :) ), first thing I do after starting the car is to turn the headlight switch over to manual mode.
I'm not offering any rational (or irrational) explanation of why I do this, I just want to.

The 69 has never blinded anyone. Not possible.

Don't you people know that this was a communist plot by the US Govt. funded by headlight makers so that the headlight Mfgr's. could make more money by selling more headlights? I was never for it to begin with!

Next thing you know, they will want all cars running on coal by 2025!

The 69 has never blinded anyone. Not possible.
In comparison to most any modern lighting method of today, our original sealed beams look like flashlights with weak batteries. :lol:

I’d run with all 4, but always get flack - and not from being blinded.

Back in my 'day' it became a fad of sorts to run with the parking lights on, my brother wired his on his GTO's to come on with the key as did a lot of his buddy's in town. This was before the parking lights illuminated with the headlights. I installed a console in my '63 Plymouth with a bank of lights for brake, blinkers, and headlights. During the day the tiny little single turn signal light on the dash is hard to see and my hearing along with the exhaust noise is impossible to hear the blinker. Just an extra thing I found enticing with the resto that was on the console anyway formerly for low fuel, door ajar, etc.

I hate those BIG BRUTE BLUE Lights?
High-intensity blue spectrum headlights are illegal ? – make it hard to see properly while driving at night.
Why is there seemingly no policing of this dangerous practice?
What are the regulations?

or the ******** with the;
LED Light Bar Nilight 32Inch 378W Triple Row 37800LM Flood Spot Combo Led Bar Driving Lights Super Bright Led Off Road Lights for Trucks , etc ?....

JMVHO, Sonny.

High-intensity blue spectrum headlights are illegal ? – make it hard to see properly while driving at night.

LED Light Bar Nilight 32Inch 378W Triple Row 37800LM Flood Spot Combo Led Bar Driving Lights Super Bright Led Off Road Lights for Trucks , etc ?....

JMVHO, Sonny.

Did you read my reply, well, read it again. The first half I was Quoting someone else. The second half was my reply.

Nope, I only turn mine on as it starts to get dark. 69 Chargers look to cool with the hideaway headlights to be driving around with them open. Yes I'm younger than most but drove mostly older cars and trucks so it's still a normal part of driving for me to turn them on.

I never have only due to that the flip front headlight doors always looks so bad *** on cars when closed, such as Charger, Cougars, GTO's, Camaro's etc.

100_1692.jpg

Agree with Dennis. Given most cars in the Great White North have DRLs, you have to standout as much as you can, lest you become invisible. The buzzer goes off if I leave them on (pretty high-tech for 1969 :) )

JMVHO, Sonny.
gabby (2017_10_11 10_04_54 UTC).jpg

Another angle of all this were some of the old cars that EITHER had parking lights OR headlights on - the switch would not keep the parking lights on when headlights were turned on.
I always hated that and would re-wire the dang thing so they both could be on.
Wonder why they did that? Too much draw through the switch? There wasn't a law at some point, was there?

PS - I always like to run the parking lights towards dusk, right up until it's time for headlights too. Yes, because these cars look cool like that, but also so there's at least some lights on during twilight hours.
With the late-model critters here, that also allows me to run the factory driving lights with the parking lights. Yes, they're aimed properly.

I remember that too. Friend of mine runs parking lights on a 70 ‘Cuda for the cool factor.

Auto Transport Service
Back