• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else listen to alternative rock?

SteveSS

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
Luckily we live close to the United States Air Force Academy which has an alternative rock radio station. No commercials. Lots of new music. How can you not like music from two guys that look like this?

Wild Child by The Black Keys.

I have everything the Black Keys and Dan Aurbach have ever put out. While they have been put into the blues-rock box and they cite blues artist as influences, they have their own sound and style, which is one of the things that make them so great! I heard them called Indie-garage-rock-blues which is kind of complicated, but a much clearer definition. You do not hear tons of traditional blues chords in their songs.

I put Aurbach on the level with Fogerty and other guitar-writer greats: Distinctive and prolific. I have to say I like them best with the earlier stippped-down two piece sound, but I they are equally great with added members. "Brothers", "El Camino", and "Magic Potion" are must have's IMHO.

I just like listening to alt-rock because they don't play rap or classic rock. I don't need to hear Hotel California three times a day anymore. If it wasn't for the USAFA station I wouldn't have heard of The Black Keys.

Here's their link. They say something like listened to by more astronauts than any other radio station.

https://www.usafa.edu/radio/

Last edited:
So if you guys know about music, which I don't, I just know what I like. Is this blues-rock? When I first heard it I thought it was an old black man. KALEO, Way Down We Go. I like this a lot.

So if you guys know about music, which I don't, I just know what I like. Is this blues-rock? When I first heard it I thought it was an old black man. KALEO, Way Down We Go. I like this a lot.

kaleo is excellent, check out their song hot blooded and yes they're kind of the same genre as black keys

I like the Black Keys, had their music since they started. To me, they're a little harder version of The White Stripes. (Jack White's feud with them notwithstanding)

Didn't "alternative" become "mainstream" in the early 1990's?

I listen to a lot of 60's 70's classic rock or 80's pop stations but it gets repetitive, I dont like local alt radio in texas it's also too repetitive with all the 90's stuff. I'm not big on spotify either, I prefer live DJ's that know the music. The only good alt radio in my opinion is on streaming, unless you are local to get it on your car radio. two that I have listened to since college are:

1) WBER Rochester NY - WBER 90.5 FM – The Only Station That Matters.
2) WFUV NYC - WFUV | Music discovery starts here.

The benefit of listening to stations like this are that they are run by people or college/high school students who keep up with new music so you dont have to. hearing new music in genres you enjoy keeps the mind active and engaged; like steve said, I dont need to listen to hotel california 500 times a day. I could probably listen to the rolling stones 500 times a day though as long as its a mix of deep cuts.

Then there's stuff like Greta Van Fleet that sounds as if led zeppelin wrote new music in the 2010's.
Greta Van Fleet - Highway Tune (Official Video) - YouTube

just a few that I've been listening to for ages

Last edited:

I like it enough to listen to it everyday, which I do!! I've posted it before.
I like this one too.

Auto Transport Service
Back