• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever have a conversion done by redline?

yup. all good with mine as far as I can tell. gas gauge is a little slow to react on start up but it might be the sending unit. is your amp gauge messing up after they've done the cluster or you haven't sent it in yet?

The amp gauge in my E-bod is acting up and I want to do something other than nuke my harness. I will admit I'm a little hesitant sending my cluster half way across the country.

I sent my whole Charger cluster to them a couple of weeks ago. I've talked to Shannon (the owner) a couple of times and figure my stuff is in good hands. I ended up deciding to keep my ammeter because every wire in the car will be new and I have nothing drawing any more current the when the car was new. Shannon told me they redo the amp gauge studs to make them much more durable than stock. But he did tell me that they do a lot of amp - volt meter conversions also. The total cost from them was almost 20% cheaper than Auto Instruments.

They did a full electronic conversion on my 1970 Challenger non ralley gauge set including adding an oil pressure gauge and tach. It came out great and worked like a champ.

can any of you tell me what your "turn around" time was?

I wanna say 6 weeks. don't remember exactly which tell me that it was reasonable. (basically, i only remember things that piss me off; bad service, bad parts, bad workmenship, etc... none of that here. I also talked to Shannon, good guy i thought. )

can any of you tell me what your "turn around" time was?

In 2007 I talked with one of the guys from Redline at the los Angeles Spring Fling show at Woodley park. They had a small booth there. They had a restored 70 B body guage cluster on the table. Next to it was a worn out original. I asked what it would cost to restore mine. The man said $250. I was shocked. I said..."okay, I bring you THIS (holding the ugly one) and you make it look like THIS (pointing to the nice one) for $250!!? He said yes. I was amazed. Later when I called, the price turned into..Uhhh, it depends...
WHAT ??
Maybe they were quoting a simple cleaning and decal overlay job?

it does vary greatly depending on year, condition and if you want any "goodies" added/upgraded. I also have gotten BS answers at shows about pricing from people at the booths (not Redline, just in general). For this situation it's always best to send them your unit and (if it's redline) and then talk to Shannon after he gets a chance to look at it.

In 2007 I talked with one of the guys from Redline at the los Angeles Spring Fling show at Woodley park. They had a small booth there. They had a restored 70 B body guage cluster on the table. Next to it was a worn out original. I asked what it would cost to restore mine. The man said $250. I was shocked. I said..."okay, I bring you THIS (holding the ugly one) and you make it look like THIS (pointing to the nice one) for $250!!? He said yes. I was amazed. Later when I called, the price turned into..Uhhh, it depends...
WHAT ??
Maybe they were quoting a simple cleaning and decal overlay job?

well I sent in half my cluster today. Talked w Shannon this morning. stay tuned, details as they happen!

Got the call yesterday..... all done and on the way back. I'm hoping to get it by friday. I'd like to make the fox Lake show 0n sunday.....

Well that is a LOT less than the 6 weeks i saw someone here say. SCORE !

That was fast - I'm still waiting for mine, but I told Shannon I was in no hurry.

I used to work there, you're in good hands...Shannon will take care of you. I probably did 100 of those conversions...did one on my Coronet years ago. Shannon was at our shop the other day, (North Hollywood Speedometer) he buys a lot of VDO gauges from us he uses for conversions.
I 'm experiencing the dreaded f'd up amp gauge. anyone dealt with them?
Thanks
Bigs

http://www.redlinegaugeworks.com/default.asp

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=67781.15

UPS tracking says I should have it tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the cluster back in tonite!

I had to reinstall my speedo / tach as they were restored a few years back. I only used the finest Canadian imported speedo grommets. These are a crucial step often overlooked! Do not be fooled by imitations. THANKS BRAD! +Things went pretty smoothly with the exception of the cable for the clock set. I neglected to test fit the cover on the cluster before the install. I had to make a special tool to hold it to the side to get the adjuster (Ferrell??) seated on it. I will loan this tool to any member in need. ::) No time to fire her up for a test yet, but I didn't have any screws left over! They also sent a little diagram of how to read the gauge. One afterthought.... tape your column up well so you don't mega scratch it like I did.

Attachments

• cluster 001 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 001 (640x480).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 197
  • cluster 005 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 005 (640x480).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 191
  • cluster 008 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 008 (640x480).jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 173
  • cluster 009 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 009 (640x480).jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 181
  • cluster 012 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 012 (640x480).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 180
  • cluster 014 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 014 (640x480).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 183
  • cluster 002 (640x480).jpg
    cluster 002 (640x480).jpg
    157 KB · Views: 196
here's an update - I got lazy and just cut/paste from C-C

part1
Well I had her out this weekend. Met up w MOPAR FANATIC Saturday nite, And went down to the FOX LAKE show today. :thumbsup:
And of Corse there's a few things I need to address.... ever notice how one thing leads to the next... :eek7:

First off my fuel gauge finally reads all the way full. Haven't seen that till I pulled the 5/16 and went with the 3/8. Oil Press still reads 80 psi most of the time... once good and hot aybe down to 65 at idle. Is my OP that's good... really ? :clueless:

Secondly my volt gauge (amp converted) is erratic as all get out. Worst at idle, solid at highway speeds. I think I saw a post on that someplace.... :dunno:

Third........ THE NEW CLOCK DONT WORK. :swear: Granted, I did not check the hot lead for "hot" before reassembly.... but everything else in the cluster had power. There are no blown fuses/suspicious looking wiring/bad grounds that I am aware of. Lets pull the dash apart again.... yay! :faint:

part2

Well I had her out this weekend. Met up w MOPAR FANATIC Saturday nite, And went down to the FOX LAKE show today. :thumbsup:
And of Corse there's a few things I need to address.... ever notice how one thing leads to the next... :eek7:

First off my fuel gauge finally reads all the way full. Haven't seen that till I pulled the 5/16 and went with the 3/8. Oil Press still reads 80 psi most of the time... once good and hot aybe down to 65 at idle. Is my OP that's good... really ? :clueless:

Secondly my volt gauge (amp converted) is erratic as all get out. Worst at idle, solid at highway speeds. I think I saw a post on that someplace.... :dunno:

Third........ THE NEW CLOCK DONT WORK. :swear: Granted, I did not check the hot lead for "hot" before reassembly.... but everything else in the cluster had power. There are no blown fuses/suspicious looking wiring/bad grounds that I am aware of. Lets pull the dash apart again.... yay! :faint:

the clock is $hit!... not happy... calling Shannon tomorrow..........

That sucks having to pull the clock out again, but from what I have heard they will make it right with you. I may have missed it in your posts, but did you do the MAD electrical conversion, or something else?

That sucks having to pull the clock out again, but from what I have heard they will make it right with you. I may have missed it in your posts, but did you do the MAD electrical conversion, or something else?

MAD??

Here's todays episode -

I talked with Johnny today ( who ever that is???) as was told Shannon is on vacation. He told me they run the clocks 24HRS before they ship. He recomended that I try and advance the time to see if that does it. Then recomended I tap on it. I said... you really want me to tap on it? He says, well no not really. Any way I tried it again and played w the advance...... JACKZIPDIDDLY!!! FEDEX just picked it up an hour ago.. doubt she'll be out till after the 4th of July...

The needle on the crappolla meter is on the rise.. and BIGS being the patient, understanding guy that he is... DONT NEED THIS PITA! Stay tuned....

Now that Carlisle is over I got the cluster back in tonite. Clock worked as soon as I plugged 'er in. Tomorrow morning were heading down to the Belvidere show. Should be a good "test ride". Total time on this project.... granted Carlisle and all the HOT weather (it was a balmy 86 In the garage tonite, was over 90 last 2 nites) but it took about 6 weeks start to finish. Way too F'n long!

Auto Transport Service
Back