• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever own a Toyota MR2 MK1?

Well it looks like I will going to retrieve the MR2 next month, we will see how that all works out.

Is there anyone here from CA? The guy with the car lost the keys and he is telling me that no one in CA will make him a new one even though he has the title. The car is registered in WA and has a WA title in his name. I don't know if this is just some crazy CA crap or if this guy is BSing me.

Just to put a bow on this, I did in fact go and pick up the MR2 last weekend. It was a long drive but for the most part uneventful.

All in all I am very happy with the condition of the car, virtually no rust whatsoever, about 98% complete but hasn't run for about 14 years (last registered in 08). Since getting it home I have been working on removing some of the "sin" the previous owner did which s mainly a crap load of speaker wire (seems he had a big stereo at one point). I am working dropping the gas tank which is 1/2 full of very old and nasty fuel. I am going to replace the fuel pump and filter, then try and get it running.

The car was repainted with some ghost flames added and then everything was cleared. I think a lot of the paint will buff out and I have no intention of repainting it, but I think it will turn out pretty well.

IMG_5553.JPG
IMG_5576.JPG

After a bath, still wet so it looks far better than when it dries. Also removed the stupid fender arch chrome trim

85 MR2 1st clean.jpg

to the op's title question

NO & I never will...

to the op's title question

NO & I never will...
:rofl:
I dunno.....kinda like the looks of them but have never even rode in one. The guy I raced with the Mitsu was a co-worker and he passed on from a heart attack shortly after so never got to ride with him.

:rofl:
I dunno.....kinda like the looks of them but have never even rode in one. The guy I raced with the Mitsu was a co-worker and he passed on from a heart attack shortly after so never got to ride with him.
I worked for about 20+ Toyota dealerships
I seen & sat in them, one of my buddies was a Parts Mngr at
Concord Toyota, he bought one for his wife
(like the 3rd or so year model, SC'd too)
I was never impressed, it was fully optioned out too...

IMO too small for my taste

I don't hate Toyota's either

Matter of fact, they are great brand & have many good offerings
I've owned several mostly *2 wd & 4x4 SR5 or *Tacoma 4x4 trucks
& Lisa's (2) 82 & then 89 Turbo Supra's
*I'd put my daughters in them too,
I wouldn't do that if I didn't trust them...

an MR2 isn't one of them in my mind...

reminded me of a Fiat X19 or a Fierro,
another (2) car/s I'd never ever own

to each their own, my $1.25

I thought they were interesting but wasn't attracted to them. I liked the 2nd generation - back in 1990, 200 hp. was a lot in a small car. (turbo version)
1994_MR2_Color_2-1500x985.jpg

Years ago, a coworker of mine owned a 1991 or 92 MR2. He called it "mister two".
It was Turbo charged, and if I recall, around 200hp. I thought it was quick...

Auto Transport Service
Back