• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever own a Toyota MR2 MK1?

70chall440

Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
It appears that I am going to be coming into a 85 Toyota MR2 in the not too distant future. This is a 1 owner car which supposedly had every option but an AT (its a 5spd). The car has been sitting for the last 18 years. I have owned a Japanese car or 2 (lived in Okinawa for 9 1/2 years) along with a Mopar badged Mitsubishi or 2 but in reality I don't really know a lot about them. I've watched a lot of videos about them and that community is every bit as dedicated as the Mopar community. Not exactly sure what I will do with it, might keep it as a parts runner or I might sell it depending on how it runs. Just thought I would see if there are any members who know something about them.

bought one wrecked and fixed it to sell back in the day...... I remember it being less than impressive, a lot less......that's why I remember it

Most of them make a lot of noise but don't go anywhere but thats ricers in general although some of the tuners make some pretty big power.

I drove one way back in the 80s and thought it was a disappointment. Lots of body roll, low on power, mediocre appearance.

Beat one with a Mitsu Tredia turbo 5 speed with 2 other people in the car.....he was by himself. Walked away from it pretty easily. Thought they were faster than that.

20F7B349-589C-4DB7-A44E-1B99BA74C6A0.jpeg
6BD4D7D5-02FE-4480-A2EB-0CE1BF6C9FCD.jpeg
B300D64F-F01E-41E5-B64D-C8C0B5A2CEA0.jpeg
17026020-CCB5-4CCE-AB5F-5AF6F251FC13.jpeg
0248DA15-D2D3-4655-B753-86C7EC5F4202.jpeg
Had one a few years ago what a fun little car 7500rpm redline
1989 MR2 Supercharged
You’ll have fun with it the mid engine is a little different

I was barely a teen at the time (1985) and there was a 20 something hot chick that drove around in a red one in my small little town. Wish she would have given me a ride!

I know they aren't fast in stock form, 116-128 hp (numbers vary) but they weigh about 2300# so I am thinking they might be "interesting" to drive. I have looked at MGs and Spitfires for a long time but never pulled the trigger on one so I am thinking that this might be fate.

I know they aren't fast in stock form, 116-128 hp (numbers vary) but they weigh about 2300# so I am thinking they might be "interesting" to drive. I have looked at MGs and Spitfires for a long time but never pulled the trigger on one so I am thinking that this might be fate.

somehow I don't recall fitting into the MR2 being a problem at 6-1 225 ........ but the wife's TR6 is just too small for me; I can drive it, but it sucks

I just watched a vid of a guy who is 6'2" or something talking about how much room there is in one which is good. Again, I am not sure what I will do with it but if its fun I might hang onto it for awhile.

Unfortunately this is the first year and I believe its carbureted but I am not really sure.

No...but I have a friend who has long held a dream to convert one into a 3-wheel Chopper style motorbike.

My nickname for him is Taliban....when I call his office line I make a sound like a turkey call.....he just says "Hi Roger" :D
We go back a long ways.

Toyota MR2 you say? Never owned one - but I knew at least one, quite in-depth...
Ed Story Time - you've been warned:

A good friend I worked with in the late 80's raced in SCCA's SSC (Showroom Stock C (slowest) class) in
an MR2. Rod was a quiet, polite, unassuming fellow who was advanced in years from the rest of us
younger folks; I wouldn't find out until much later he'd been retired as a Navy Lt. Commander and had
"seen some ****" in Vietnam, as the story went.
You'd never know it to speak with him or work with him; he never brought it up much at all; once I found
that out though, a lot of his mannerisms made sense. Just very precise in his work, very direct, yet easy-going
and quiet.
He worked our reproduction room (blueprinting mostly, running one of those massive old
ammonia-powered behemoth monsters I wound up helping to fix all the time. I can still smell that damn
thing...)

All of that to say that this quiet, shy-appearing older fella of smaller stature had a hobby - road racing, SCCA
style - and once behind the wheel, the quiet left and the competitor emerged.
Again, Rod never bragged about his racing exploits (of which, it turned out, he had many, going all the way
back into the early 60's, in those days racing an Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite).
He was a perennial top 5 guy at the National Runoffs each year; he was known as being able to get every
ounce out of a car and would race you hard, yet never dirty.
That sort of amateur racing was spendy, even in those days - you had to be pretty hardcore to compete at
that level, all for what they joked about being "a $5 plastic trophy".

By the time I met and eventually befriended him in 1986, though, he had sold off his beloved Sprite and
decided to step back to regional racing only and he wanted a fuss-proof car to do it in.
The rules favored certain new-car models for the Showroom classes and he chose an MR2, new and bright
red, bereft of any adornments, not even a spoiler - because he knew Lotus had been instrumental in
designing the suspensions on them.
The engine was truly tiny, but it had dual overhead cams and the redline was insane for those days - perfect
for road racing, where you just wrung it out and kept it up there all race, if it would take it.
Well, Rod didn't know much about electronic fuel injection and ECU's and such and he was alone in life, so
since he knew I was a greasemonkey for a hobby, he and I hit it off and I became his "crew" on the Toyota.
No, I didn't know a damn thing about the car either (and true to 'Murican prejudices and Mopar blood, didn't
really care much about 'em prior, honestly) - but for Rod and for going to the races at Summit Point?
Sure, what the heck, I'm in....

In Showroom classes, you weren't allowed to monkey with anything much at all. You even had to run the
stock sized tires (any DOT brand was acceptable) - but since that thing had like 112hp, it handled a ton but
went like pokey.
Ed being Ed, though - I learned ways to "fool" the computer into doing things, the sort of cheats it would take
someone sharp to catch - in order to get Rod competitive with the other cars in his class.
The driving part, he was one of the best of ANY class out there (and everyone knew Rod at the races too, of
course) but he needed some power, so I set about messing with sensor lines, mechanical advances, things
of that nature and got him a little more to play with.
The results? The 3 years I crewed for him, he won his class championship twice - once in SSC, then later in
ITA (Improved Touring A class) when the car became too old to stay in SSC.
That MR2 took everything Rod and I threw at it, pounded mercilessly as racing does to them - and never gave
a moments' problem. Not one...

In the end...
I left the company after that; Rod had finally retired-retired as the economy crashed in 1990 and the company
collapsed from lack of work and I eventually lost track of Rod and the MR2, much to my later regret.
It's one of those all-too-brief periods of my life that I look back fondly on now and realize with hindsight
how much there was left to benefit from, had I not been so youthfully hasty to move on constantly...
I genuinely miss Rod, the MR2, my life at that stage of it (entering my third decade shortly thereafter).
Great car, for what it was. Great friend, that guy too.
Rod's up there givin' them hell in heaven's Saturday features somewheres...
I hope to see him again one day.

It's an interesting car, I would jump on it.

2.4 engine? I think my daughter had one in her Celica at one time. Ignition coil would crack from engine heat I think.

2.4 engine? I think my daughter had one in her Celica at one time. Ignition coil would crack from engine heat I think.

Actually I think the engine is a 1.5... but interesting enough there seems to be a lot of transplant options if that was something I wanted to do (which I don't).

Toyota MR2 you say? Never owned one - but I knew at least one, quite in-depth...
Ed Story Time - you've been warned:

A good friend I worked with in the late 80's raced in SCCA's SSC (Showroom Stock C (slowest) class) in
an MR2. Rod was a quiet, polite, unassuming fellow who was advanced in years from the rest of us
younger folks; I wouldn't find out until much later he'd been retired as a Navy Lt. Commander and had
"seen some ****" in Vietnam, as the story went.
You'd never know it to speak with him or work with him; he never brought it up much at all; once I found
that out though, a lot of his mannerisms made sense. Just very precise in his work, very direct, yet easy-going
and quiet.
He worked our reproduction room (blueprinting mostly, running one of those massive old
ammonia-powered behemoth monsters I wound up helping to fix all the time. I can still smell that damn
thing...)

All of that to say that this quiet, shy-appearing older fella of smaller stature had a hobby - road racing, SCCA
style - and once behind the wheel, the quiet left and the competitor emerged.
Again, Rod never bragged about his racing exploits (of which, it turned out, he had many, going all the way
back into the early 60's, in those days racing an Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite).
He was a perennial top 5 guy at the National Runoffs each year; he was known as being able to get every
ounce out of a car and would race you hard, yet never dirty.
That sort of amateur racing was spendy, even in those days - you had to be pretty hardcore to compete at
that level, all for what they joked about being "a $5 plastic trophy".

By the time I met and eventually befriended him in 1986, though, he had sold off his beloved Sprite and
decided to step back to regional racing only and he wanted a fuss-proof car to do it in.
The rules favored certain new-car models for the Showroom classes and he chose an MR2, new and bright
red, bereft of any adornments, not even a spoiler - because he knew Lotus had been instrumental in
designing the suspensions on them.
The engine was truly tiny, but it had dual overhead cams and the redline was insane for those days - perfect
for road racing, where you just wrung it out and kept it up there all race, if it would take it.
Well, Rod didn't know much about electronic fuel injection and ECU's and such and he was alone in life, so
since he knew I was a greasemonkey for a hobby, he and I hit it off and I became his "crew" on the Toyota.
No, I didn't know a damn thing about the car either (and true to 'Murican prejudices and Mopar blood, didn't
really care much about 'em prior, honestly) - but for Rod and for going to the races at Summit Point?
Sure, what the heck, I'm in....

In Showroom classes, you weren't allowed to monkey with anything much at all. You even had to run the
stock sized tires (any DOT brand was acceptable) - but since that thing had like 112hp, it handled a ton but
went like pokey.
Ed being Ed, though - I learned ways to "fool" the computer into doing things, the sort of cheats it would take
someone sharp to catch - in order to get Rod competitive with the other cars in his class.
The driving part, he was one of the best of ANY class out there (and everyone knew Rod at the races too, of
course) but he needed some power, so I set about messing with sensor lines, mechanical advances, things
of that nature and got him a little more to play with.
The results? The 3 years I crewed for him, he won his class championship twice - once in SSC, then later in
ITA (Improved Touring A class) when the car became too old to stay in SSC.
That MR2 took everything Rod and I threw at it, pounded mercilessly as racing does to them - and never gave
a moments' problem. Not one...

In the end...
I left the company after that; Rod had finally retired-retired as the economy crashed in 1990 and the company
collapsed from lack of work and I eventually lost track of Rod and the MR2, much to my later regret.
It's one of those all-too-brief periods of my life that I look back fondly on now and realize with hindsight
how much there was left to benefit from, had I not been so youthfully hasty to move on constantly...
I genuinely miss Rod, the MR2, my life at that stage of it (entering my third decade shortly thereafter).
Great car, for what it was. Great friend, that guy too.
Rod's up there givin' them hell in heaven's Saturday features somewheres...
I hope to see him again one day.

Awesome story and thank you for taking the time to share it. I have been a Mopar guy all my life (since I was 14) and while I have owned other things along the way I have always come back. I sometimes wonder if I should have "broadened" my interests more? I will see where this goes, we have a pretty strong autox group here in WA that I have always wanted to engage but never seem to find the time (working on one of the projects).

I've always thought I needed a foreign car in the stable "just because" and as I said I have looked at MGs, Fiat 124s, Spitfires, etc. a lot and actually arrived at a Porsche Boxer as the car that I would probably acquire. However as fate has it perhaps this car might fill that bill in a way that works out even better. I know it isn't fast but then most of the others I was thinking about aren't either except the Porsche (relative to what I am considering).

I guess the bottom-line here is that I am falling into this car so it doesn't really matter in the end, if I don't like it I will flip it, if I do like it then it can hang around for awhile.

The MR2's had a supercharger option. I remember a guy I worked with bought a new one. Never rode in it though.

The MR2's had a supercharger option. I remember a guy I worked with bought a new one. Never rode in it though.

Yeah they did but not until like 89, the one I am getting definitely is not one of those unfortunately.

Yeah they did but not until like 89, the one I am getting definitely is not one of those unfortunately.
1988-89 had the supercharger option
The first Gen MR2 suspension was designed with help from lotus

You are correct, sir. Toyota used the same 16V engine in the "hotrod" sedan those couple years.
Interesting - transverse mount in the MR2, conventional front/rear in the sedan.

I guess the bottom-line here is that I am falling into this car so it doesn't really matter in the end, if I don't like it I will flip it, if I do like it then it can hang around for awhile.
Pretty much sums it up right there, eh? :)
I watched Rod make that thing do things I didn't think possible - but then, his tow car was a 70's Cadillac
Coupe de Ville, which he also made do things on back roads that defied the laws of physics.
Dude could wheel, man. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back