• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have a metal roof put on their home recently?

A few months ago, one of our skylights started leaking (I know, but it's a dark room and they really help).

The roof is coming up on 14 years old, so we got estimates.

17K for shingles (12-20 year life expectancy)

26K for metal, without removing the existing shingles

30K for metal including removal of existing shingles

I've done a little research and there seems to be a trade off of pros and cons regarding leaving the existing shingles on.

Pro- adds heat insulation. That could be a big deal in FL. I've recorded 130 degrees in our attic.
Pro- adds sound insulation. Also could be a big deal with all the torrential downpours we get. I've heard some rain on tin roof and it IS loud.
Pro- saves $4,000

The biggest con seems to be not being able to inspect and/or replace the wood decking.
I totally get that.

Anyone done this recently?

Which did you do, and did you run into any other issues.

It almost seems like a no-brainer to go with the metal. For less than 1/2 the price of shingles, the life expectancy is more than double and could be triple or more.
What!!!! it is twice the cost of shingles are you looking at it backwards.

Redid our roof with a steel roof 1.5 years ago. I think it was about 2k more than a tear off and reroof with asphalt shingles. In NY you cannot have more than 2 layers of shingles. We chose black steel. I had my worries about heat, but due to the two layers of shingles under the steel and the dead air space created by the purlins... the house actually stays much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter ( using less energy) . Also, the shingles and dead air space reduce any drumming in heavy rains. It actually is quieter.

We put metal roofs on a barn and had some issues. In heavy rain the sheet flow is incredible typically bypassing the gutters so erosion around the foundation will be an issue in HEAVY rainfall. We even put larger gutters and downspouts but it still goes over sometimes as it simply can't handle the flow. And like others said it is noisy when it rains.

Meant to say "less than double" -IE to get more than double lifespan for less than double cost.

We put metal roofs on a barn and had some issues. In heavy rain the sheet flow is incredible typically bypassing the gutters so erosion around the foundation will be an issue in HEAVY rainfall. We even put larger gutters and downspouts but it still goes over sometimes as it simply can't handle the flow. And like others said it is noisy when it rains.

A metal roof is very noisy in an open barn, especially one where the roofing is laid over the roof rafters. In a conventional home where the roofing is laid on top of plywood and there are insulated ceilings below, a metal roof is no more noisier than a conventional asphalt shingle roof.

A gravel line solves the erosion problem.

thumbnail (13).jpg

A metal roof is very noisy in an open barn, especially one where the roofing is laid over the roof rafters. In a conventional home where the roofing is laid on top of plywood and there are insulated ceilings below, a metal roof is no more noisier than a conventional asphalt shingle roof.

A gravel line solves the erosion problem.

View attachment 1524906
It that situation a gravel line works but try and put one in a functioning horse barn it becomes a challenge dealing with erosion.. I agree with the noise on a house as it laid out differently. My main issue has been the flow of water. Looks nice and peaceful there for sure RC!!

Auto Transport Service
Back