• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any ideas for an alternate Superbird back glass?

hotrod98

Local time
11:56 AM
Reaction score
I've started thinking about the superbird clone that I'm starting on after the first of the year. I want to alter the back glass but I'm finding it difficult to part with over $3500 for a correct steel plug and back glass. Fiberglass plugs are not an option since we're not going with the vinyl top and I won't waste my money on a lexan back window. I've heard that a cuda back glass is similar but I don't have the measurements of a real bird back glass to make a comparison. It seems to me that the bird back glass narrows up more sharply towards the top than the cuda glass. I've copied pics form the computer but unless the camera angle is identical, it would be impossible to tell just how similar they are. Anyone have the dimensions of the bird back glass that they would like to share?
Here's the two pics that I have for comparison. The first one is the bird back glass and the second is the cuda back glass. In these pics there is quite a bit of difference in shape, but like I said, the angle of the camera can have a lot to do with that.
Just rambling thoughts at this point. Plenty of time to work this out.

backwindowbird.jpg

backwindowcuda.jpg

Last edited:
My two cents. Building a wing car clone isn't easy as most know. Take your Daytona clone for instance: No rear window plug even w/car completely finished wouldn't look complete, not just in your eyes but others as well.
Take your time and build it like a true clone. I know, donate a rear section to you and walla. Easier said than done.
Larry, your clone, your past rides and cars you own now are very nicely done.
Don't skimp on this part buddy.
I'm into my Bird clone, '70 satellite car for 8 grand, front clip/parts car or $300.00 and another $1200.00 in misc. parts so far.
Thanks for the link to Dayclona, haven't called him yet but I will soon as I get my to do list narrowed down next week hoepfully.

BTW, great seing you guys over here, Larry, Stuart......

Mark

Mark, I made this bird build more difficult by deciding not to use the vinyl top. Since it's my wife's car and she hates vinyl tops...it will have a painted roof. The cheapest that I've seen the steel plug go for is $2400.00 and the cheapest glass is around grand with shipping. Then I can either buy the new moldings from Mike at BEA if and when he builds them or make a set from scratch using two sets of standard moldings. Anyway, I'm now into at least $3500 minimum just for the back window. I considered leaving the stock back glass in place, but it really doesn't look all that good to me. Besides, I need the back glass out of this car for a 69 runner that I have on the rotisserie. Are you following me so far. Good, because there's going to be a pop quiz on Friday.
I make every project that I take on just a little more difficult. But, since I have a short attention span, it all works out in the end. :grin:

Pop quiz, I don't well on tests. I understand your reasoning. I almost want to apologise for sounding off like I did. Hey, non of my projects are drivers yet, so shut my mouth more-less, ha-ha.
My Dart is awaiting paint booth time, my bird clone is in a friends sgarage due to wife doesn't know about it yet, but she has seen a lot of parts show up around the hose lately and askes me, whata are they for?

haha.....

Mark

wife doesn't know about it yet

Mark, you haven't changed a bit. lol

And, I didn't think anything about anything that you said.

Hard to get the true feeling about what one says in print sometimes.

I've got to get up early and drive north to Kansas City tomorrow to pick up a trailer load of barracuda parts. Some of the stuff I need for a 70 that I bought back recently and the back window setup for the bird clone. I spend way too much money on cars and parts.

Mark, I made this bird build more difficult by deciding not to use the vinyl top. Since it's my wife's car and she hates vinyl tops...it will have a painted roof. The cheapest that I've seen the steel plug go for is $2400.00 and the cheapest glass is around grand with shipping. Then I can either buy the new moldings from Mike at BEA if and when he builds them or make a set from scratch using two sets of standard moldings. Anyway, I'm now into at least $3500 minimum just for the back window. I considered leaving the stock back glass in place, but it really doesn't look all that good to me. Besides, I need the back glass out of this car for a 69 runner that I have on the rotisserie. Are you following me so far. Good, because there's going to be a pop quiz on Friday.
I make every project that I take on just a little more difficult. But, since I have a short attention span, it all works out in the end. :grin:

cut the top off completely or ge a convertible them you can go plug less easy fix :rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:

Mark, you haven't changed a bit. lol

And, I didn't think anything about anything that you said.

Hard to get the true feeling about what one says in print sometimes.

I've got to get up early and drive north to Kansas City tomorrow to pick up a trailer load of barracuda parts. Some of the stuff I need for a 70 that I bought back recently and the back window setup for the bird clone. I spend way too much money on cars and parts.

call me when your in town i'll take you ot to dinner

Thanks for the offer, but it's going to be an in and out type trip. I have to stop in Bentonville and pick up my wife. She's visiting her mother this week. We have to meet the guy at 6:30 p.m., load the stuff and haul butt back south.
What are the plans for Thursday and Friday evening in S.L.? We should be in Union by 4:00 or so on Thursday evening.
We plan to go over to the gathering on Friday morning with you guys.

Oh, and we've had convertibles...the top stays on. :grin:

Thanks for the offer, but it's going to be an in and out type trip. I have to stop in Bentonville and pick up my wife. She's visiting her mother this week. We have to meet the guy at 6:30 p.m., load the stuff and haul butt back south.
What are the plans for Thursday and Friday evening in S.L.? We should be in Union by 4:00 or so on Thursday evening.
We plan to go over to the gathering on Friday morning with you guys.

Oh, and we've had convertibles...the top stays on. :grin:

i will be in union from weds morning on , you should think more about the convertible thing , just wait till your wife see's my car , i'll convince her it's green to just wait :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Too hot here for a convert. She complained that when she drove the hemi chal convert, the wind made her head hurt form the wind blowing through her hair. I told her to drop down below 100 mph and that would stop. :)

:rolling::rolling::rolling:
Too hot here for a convert. She complained that when she drove the hemi chal convert, the wind made her head hurt form the wind blowing through her hair. I told her to drop down below 100 mph and that would stop. :)
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling:
lead footed momma :rolling::rolling:

I love b-body's and have never owned an e-body , but clone or not if i had an ebody convert It would never get sold !!

I stupidly sold a 70 Barracuda convert that was drivable, but fairly rusty. If I had known that we would eventually see all of these repro parts, I never would have sold it. I like the barracuda converts a lot more than the chal converts.
We got back from KC, MO about 3 this morning. I had a trailer load of stuff for barracudas. I now have the rear window frame, glass and moldings that I needed for the superbird clone. This is going to be interesting. Too bad I can't start on it now.
I contacted Rene to see if he still had pics of the coronet superbird clone that someone had used a cuda back glass on. Anyone else have any pics of that car?
Oh, and I now have enough stuff to finish out the other 70 Barracuda that I have. I'm thinking about making a rat rod out of it instead of a drag car. My son pointed out that we really don't need two drag cars in the family. He'll just let me drive his every once in a while to get it out of my system. Sounds like a good (inexpensive) idea to me.
Stuart, keep you eyese peeled for a decent 70 or 71 Barracuda or cuda for my new friend in Garden City. He's going to get in touch with you. He's around 19 and seems to be a good kid who's interested in mopars. My kind of guy. Reminds me a lot of my son. He would rather have a solid body car that needs mechanicals, if you know what I mean. Couldn't talk him into going the b body route...yet. :)

69 runner...she tried a hat...lost it right around 85 mph. I don't ride in her Daytona pickup with her.

I stupidly sold a 70 Barracuda convert that was drivable, but fairly rusty. If I had known that we would eventually see all of these repro parts, I never would have sold it. I like the barracuda converts a lot more than the chal converts.
We got back from KC, MO about 3 this morning. I had a trailer load of stuff for barracudas. I now have the rear window frame, glass and moldings that I needed for the superbird clone. This is going to be interesting. Too bad I can't start on it now.
I contacted Rene to see if he still had pics of the coronet superbird clone that someone had used a cuda back glass on. Anyone else have any pics of that car?
Oh, and I now have enough stuff to finish out the other 70 Barracuda that I have. I'm thinking about making a rat rod out of it instead of a drag car. My son pointed out that we really don't need two drag cars in the family. He'll just let me drive his every once in a while to get it out of my system. Sounds like a good (inexpensive) idea to me.
Stuart, keep you eyese peeled for a decent 70 or 71 Barracuda or cuda for my new friend in Garden City. He's going to get in touch with you. He's around 19 and seems to be a good kid who's interested in mopars. My kind of guy. Reminds me a lot of my son. He would rather have a solid body car that needs mechanicals, if you know what I mean. Couldn't talk him into going the b body route...yet. :)

69 runner...she tried a hat...lost it right around 85 mph. I don't ride in her Daytona pickup with her.

is it this one ?

coronebird.jpg

Yes it is. I can tell by the dayclona name on the quarters. Dayclona, the company, had nothing to do with this car. People used to put that name on a lot of daytona clones back in the day.
I need some pics of the back glass area. I'll request more pics of this car over on the other site as well.
Thanks Stuart

Yes it is. I can tell by the dayclona name on the quarters. Dayclona, the company, had nothing to do with this car. People used to put that name on a lot of daytona clones back in the day.
I need some pics of the back glass area. I'll request more pics of this car over on the other site as well.
Thanks Stuart
if you find any more pictures of it I want a picture of the nose !!!!
for some reason when it was on ebay thats the only picture i saved of it , I really like that car

Chris G. over on Moparts posted a pic of the back glass on the car in question. Looks good to me. I'm going to go ahead and plan on using the cuda back glass setup. I've already bought a used roof, back glass and moldings from a guy in KC,MO. Picked the stuff up Thursday night.
I'll post more on the transformation when I get started on the superbird clone project at a later date.

cudabackglass.jpg

Here's a shot of a real bird back glass from a similar angle for comparison.
The real bird back glass is about two inches taller than the cuda glass.

birdbackglass.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back