• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any ideas for an alternate Superbird back glass?

A $4000 decision.
Let's put it into perspective.
Trust me, no one would confuse this car with a real superbird even if it had a real superbird back glass. It will be that much different. :grin:

Hotrod, after viewing photos. It doesn't look that far off, go for it.
I sold my bird clone to be last Monday also, made about $3800.00 by doing nothing basically.
Bought another '72 Dart the other night, #9 A body for me now.
Oh, and no, wife doesn't know about it yet either, hahaha.....

I hope to buy another B body soon though.

Mark

This back glass thing may all be for nothing. We're thinking seriously about buying the v code bird on e-bay right now. Should know by tomorrow. The way my luck goes, the car will be gone by the time I get the verification on the vin.
If I buy this real one, I'll just leave the back glass stock in the clone and throw the car together with the repro stuff and put it on e-bay as a project superbird.
I'll keep the real bird wing of course. I have nice fenders and hood, a correct dated block and an original six pack setup.
I'll post more if this new deal goes through.

I talked to the current owner of the rusty v-code bird. He said that it needs front and rear frame rails, floor from firewall to rear body panel, dutchman panel, both quarters, both doors, upper outer cowl and of course all of the parts that are missing. But the good news is the rockers are pretty solid.

I blew the pics up and it looks like it may also need a roof panel, outer wheelhouses, part of the core support, the plug or partial repair of the plug, possibly the tail panel, the rear frame crossmember, fuel tank supports, etc...etc...etc...
I'll keep looking. I would rather not have a bird than to get into a project like this. You can't weld new sheet metal to rust.

I read an artical one time and if memory serves me, there is some GM car that has an almost identical rear window, but I can't remember what GM car it was.

I read an artical one time and if memory serves me, there is some GM car that has an almost identical rear window, but I can't remember what GM car it was.

Early 70's Vega.

I think it was a chevy monza hatchback for the superbird and vega for the daytona.

For some reason it stuck in my mind that Chrysler was using 4 dr back windows for the bird. Is that just an old man's mind playing tricks? If not, you could just grab a sction of roof as well, weld it in, and that kills several birds with one stone. No pun intended

no its a totally different shape and look then anything else
the cuda idea works ok but its still way smaller

but the vega stuff is very close for a daytona and works great examples below

Attachments

• roughplug.JPG
    roughplug.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 630
  • vegahatch1.JPG
    vegahatch1.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 578
I'm thinking I need to do the Vega rear plug on mine....

I should probably quit thinking....it's not one of my better quality's

100e0860.jpg

Worth a try

I remember someone telling me they used one of the Chevy vega rear glasses and it was verry close. I dont remember witch one but worth a try. This may be for Daytona as well.

yea..I do have a torch & a sawzall

Attachments

• convert daytona.JPG
    convert daytona.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 476
Is that OE charger glass or Vega glass?

One day, I would like to build a Clone. I think OE charger glass looks cool, so...

thats OE charger if it had a vega hatch it would look more like a fast back not sunken in like stock in that picture .

here is what intailed to install a vega hatch ., you also have to shorten the decklid a daytona deck lid is not very wide to accomidate the fast back styling and clear the wing .

Attachments

• vegapluginstalled.jpg
    vegapluginstalled.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 451
  • roughplug.JPG
    roughplug.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 496
Auto Transport Service
Back