• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here ever had Bells Palsey?

Sahara

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
Way North Canada. Polar Bear shaped license plates
So Friday I have a bad headache, like I had been bumped behind my ear. My dog plays super rough so I just assumed that she had bumped me while roughhousing.
Saturday I wake up to half of my face sagging noticeably, I can’t completely close my mouth, and I can’t shut one eye.
I’m freakin’, thinking I have just had a stroke or have a brain tumour.
Wife who works in the medical field tells me that I have Bells Palsey. Hmmm…
Search of the web shows to be the case, and other then being super weird and inconvenient it is quite normal and common.
Apparently lasts two weeks to two months.
I’m only five days into it. I’ve been through worse but it is certainly no fun.
Anyone else here been through it? Any tips, tricks, or sage advice for me?

So Friday I have a bad headache, like I had been bumped behind my ear. My dog plays super rough so I just assumed that she had bumped me while roughhousing.
Saturday I wake up to half of my face sagging noticeably, I can’t completely close my mouth, and I can’t shut one eye.
Search of the web shows to be the case, and other then being super weird and inconvenient it is quite normal and common.
My father had it for a short time about 10 years ago. It cleared itself up and is not noticeable at all now.

He's still the angry man he always was. :lol: Best of luck with yours....I'm sure you'll be fine. Main thing is not to panic about it. :thumbsup:

my brother has had and has the suffers from this also it comes and goes. it has been 2 years from the last time it happened to him.

I worked with a guy that got it.

...from job stress.

IIRC about a month for him and gradually got better.

Three or four of us developed physical manifestations of the stress that job gave us.

I'm convinced that was what triggered my full on diabetus.

I worked with a guy that got it.

...from job stress.

IIRC about a month for him and gradually got better.

Three or four of us developed physical manifestations of the stress that job gave us.

I'm convinced that was what triggered my full on diabetus.
Yeah, pretty sure mine was brought on by the stress of three emergency evacuations in less then a year and a half and all that that entailed, both work wise and personally.
Gonna retreat to our place in Mexico and regroup for a month.

Yeah, pretty sure mine was brought on by the stress of three emergency evacuations in less then a year and a half and all that that entailed, both work wise and personally.
Gonna retreat to our place in Mexico and regroup for a month.
That sounds like a good idea!! I'm surprised my wife of over 30 years didn't cause something like that to happen to me but she's been gone for nearly 7 years now and my newly met girlfriend has brought out the kid in me. Wasn't even looking and figured I'd be alone for the rest of my life and bam! Good luck to you and hope the retreat helps!

Has it been a rough week Garth? Usually brought on by stress. Youngest sister in law gets it and the Wife a few times in the past 40 years. Generally related to being totally pissed off, or their Father nagging at them..

Has it been a rough week Garth? Usually brought on by stress. Youngest sister in law gets it and the Wife a few times in the past 40 years. Generally related to being totally pissed off, or their Father nagging at them..
Yeah, it’s been unrelenting for over a year now. We had the three evacuations, including the last one where I nearly cooked. That cost us a fair bit of money and effort , looking after 17 cats, only three of which were ours. Wife and I both have PTSD, as do many in the town. Then, because of budget cuts due to the disasters my employer (the NWT government) hasn’t employed me since September. So there is another financial hit. I had fairly (extremely) painful surgery in May that put me out of commission for another month. Wife has been getting her butt kicked at her job as well, so there hasn’t been much mirth in the Carman household lately.
However, I just got a new job at the hospital, doing my same job only with a different branch of government. Handed in the paperwork yesterday. I start when we get back from Mexico.
Wife is trying for retirement in the fall.
Things are looking up.
I’m not as weepy as this sounds, but it would appear that stress does catch up.
I now bear a startling resemblance to Jean Chrétien. It could be worse, he at least was an O.K. Liberal. For a Liberal.

Hey... It's 10,000 % better than a stroke!!!

That said, get well... kick back and hope the wife gets to ring the bell running out the door!

Wife found a good acupuncturist that cleared it up in a couple of weeks. Ask if they know how to treat it when shopping and do it soon, the sooner the better.

You could but I would go to the Dr or Emergency in case it is a stroke. The symptoms sure sound like Stroke. Don't mess around.

Wife found a good acupuncturist that cleared it up in a couple of weeks. Ask if they know how to treat it when shopping and do it soon, the sooner the better.
I've looked at acupuncture over the years....but wanted to not stop drinking entirely lol

Take care of yourself @Sahara . Make sure to get a positive diagnosis. I had a stroke and it did start with a headache. Knocked my dick in the dirt for a few months but I'm lucky enough to come back 98%. It would have been better if I didn't try to sleep it off...

Undue stress in your life is not helpful or healthy. Can cause many problems and one of the reasons I no longer have a Thyroid gland.

My sister woke up in pain with it something like 12-15 years ago. The changes in her face were dramatic at first but have faded a bit over time. She has one eye that pinches more when she smiles or laughs and the same side of her mouth that doesn't lift as high when she smiles. She has said that no other health issues resulted from the episode, just the appearance on her face.
Nobody seems to care. She is still a beautiful person.

I had it when I was young, left side. Advice I was given was to massage the face muscles daily that aren't working. My smile has a very slight droop, very slight, and I can't wink with the left eye anymore. Took about a month to clear up.

Get well, stress less and also check into Lymes disease. I had chronic Lymes and had some weird stuff going on at that was one of the symptoms thankfully I never got.

Auto Transport Service
Back