• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here ever had Bells Palsey?

Wow, all these stories! I thought it was a virus and it would clear up over several weeks and you'd be back to normal. That's terrible it leaves lasting 'scars' so to speak. I'm sorry this happened to you and all the others in this thread. I wish ypu a speedy recovery! It's a wonder I haven't had it with all the stressors I have in my life. Sheesh!

Sorry to hear this. I think I would have gone to the nearest Emergency Department, just to be sure. It sounds like you have had more than your fair share of crap lately. I hope you are right about Bell's palsey being caused by the stress you have had. Good luck with your R&R in Mexico and your new job. I hope that life slows down a bit for you.

Yes , @Sahara please get checked out to be sure.
I do have a friend that went through it and same basic symptoms.
His Dr. Told him that many times it is stress related but also to change some things in his life because over the top stress can cause many health issues.

In his case , If there was a humorous side to it ... he got a divorce and has never had it again.

Yes , @Sahara please get checked out to be sure.
I do have a friend that went through it and same basic symptoms.
His Dr. Told him that many times it is stress related but also to change some things in his life because over the top stress can cause many health issues.

In his case , If there was a humorous side to it ... he got a divorce and has never had it again.
This gives me hope. Lol

Hey... It's 10,000 % better than a stroke!!!

That said, get well... kick back and hope the wife gets to ring the bell running out the door!
The wife’s stress makes mine pale in comparison, and a lot of it comes from working in medicine in a small town. You frequently see on TV where they have someone “crash”, you know, the whole deal with people doing CPR, nurses and doctors scrambling, shocking the heart etc. They generally spend about two hours of extreme effort trying to save someone. Failure is hard. Wife works like this pretty much every day, and they save lots. Right around Christmas they lost six, including one close personal friend. She hasn’t seemed to picked herself up from that. The feeling that they failed. That’s the danger of that line of work. She’s been in it, in this town, for thirty five years. Some of these people she was in on their birth, taught them Sunday school, then has to be there when they die. Friends die of cancer after you work on them for months. She had stage three cancer and faces survivor guilt.
Going to Mexico helps enormously. No cases to deal with, no reminders, nobody asking for free medical advice while we are trying to buy groceries. Even retirement weighs on her because she feels in some way that she is abandoning them.

I think that anyone who works in the medical field in these crazy times is a true HERO! Thanks for helping your community and take a well deserved rest.

My sister woke up in pain with it something like 12-15 years ago. The changes in her face were dramatic at first but have faded a bit over time. She has one eye that pinches more when she smiles or laughs and the same side of her mouth that doesn't lift as high when she smiles. She has said that no other health issues resulted from the episode, just the appearance on her face.
Nobody seems to care. She is still a beautiful person.
You got pictures?? :lol:

Yeah, it’s been unrelenting for over a year now. We had the three evacuations, including the last one where I nearly cooked. That cost us a fair bit of money and effort , looking after 17 cats, only three of which were ours. Wife and I both have PTSD, as do many in the town. Then, because of budget cuts due to the disasters my employer (the NWT government) hasn’t employed me since September. So there is another financial hit. I had fairly (extremely) painful surgery in May that put me out of commission for another month. Wife has been getting her butt kicked at her job as well, so there hasn’t been much mirth in the Carman household lately.
However, I just got a new job at the hospital, doing my same job only with a different branch of government. Handed in the paperwork yesterday. I start when we get back from Mexico.
Wife is trying for retirement in the fall.
Things are looking up.
I’m not as weepy as this sounds, but it would appear that stress does catch up.
I now bear a startling resemblance to Jean Chrétien. It could be worse, he at least was an O.K. Liberal. For a Liberal.
I was going to mention Jean, I know people that have had the symptoms and it was only temporary. Wish you the best.

The wife’s stress makes mine pale in comparison, and a lot of it comes from working in medicine in a small town. You frequently see on TV where they have someone “crash”, you know, the whole deal with people doing CPR, nurses and doctors scrambling, shocking the heart etc. They generally spend about two hours of extreme effort trying to save someone. Failure is hard. Wife works like this pretty much every day, and they save lots. Right around Christmas they lost six, including one close personal friend. She hasn’t seemed to picked herself up from that. The feeling that they failed. That’s the danger of that line of work. She’s been in it, in this town, for thirty five years. Some of these people she was in on their birth, taught them Sunday school, then has to be there when they die. Friends die of cancer after you work on them for months. She had stage three cancer and faces survivor guilt.
Going to Mexico helps enormously. No cases to deal with, no reminders, nobody asking for free medical advice while we are trying to buy groceries. Even retirement weighs on her because she feels in some way that she is abandoning them.
Have you ever been to Melaqe? Made 5 trips there. Really laid back. Not suggesting you go there though, you already have your place.

I've read that B/P may be a side effect of the C19 Vax. Take a look at what the Real Drs have said about it...

Have you ever been to Melaqe? Made 5 trips there. Really laid back. Not suggesting you go there though, you already have your place.
I hadn’t heard of it, so I Googled it. Seems like a nice place, also. It is such an amazing country. It is not perfect, by any stretch, but that is not the fault of the people. I don’t know how to fix their government, and it’s not my place to interfere anyway.
Mazatlan is awesome, at least for right now. The government is really pushing to develop it, both as a tourist destination and for its port. It used to be really laid back, non touristy, and very homey. As more drunken, demanding foreigners show up we are worried that the happy, good natured nacionales may harden.
We have seen it change a lot since I’ve been going in 2015. If it changes too much we will sell out and look at other options. Leon, who is a member here has a place further down the coast. We may explore that, yet.

Hope you get well soon Sahara, stress shows no mercy. Please get checked out.

I hadn’t heard of it, so I Googled it. Seems like a nice place, also. It is such an amazing country. It is not perfect, by any stretch, but that is not the fault of the people. I don’t know how to fix their government, and it’s not my place to interfere anyway.
Mazatlan is awesome, at least for right now. The government is really pushing to develop it, both as a tourist destination and for its port. It used to be really laid back, non touristy, and very homey. As more drunken, demanding foreigners show up we are worried that the happy, good natured nacionales may harden.
We have seen it change a lot since I’ve been going in 2015. If it changes too much we will sell out and look at other options. Leon, who is a member here has a place further down the coast. We may explore that, yet.
Yes Leon is talking about Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. Stayed there a few times. Took the bus to Ixtapa one day. Walked the tourist beach, couldn’t get off the beach fast enough. Too many tourists making idiots out of themselves. Could stay at Leon’s, seems the property is still kind of like a compound with condo’s. Mazatlan, we stayed away from the luxurious hotels, further down the beach, walked all over. Took cabs had a wonderful time. That was in the early 90’s. Bucket list still has Zihua on it, depending on mobility.

I had something about 7 or 8 years ago that a nerve conduction Doctor said was probably a close relative of Bells Palsey. I was exercising and starting to do some dumbbell row sets and grabbed the weight with my left hand and brought my arm up and the weight stayed on the floor. I had unknowingly suddenly lost all strength in my hand and wrist. I had no grip strength no matter how hard I tried. Freaked me out. The doctor said it would probably run its course in 6-8 weeks and gradually go back to normal and that’s what happened. Hasn’t reoccured. Strange stuff. Good luck, hope it runs its course quickly.

My sister woke up in pain with it something like 12-15 years ago. The changes in her face were dramatic at first but have faded a bit over time. She has one eye that pinches more when she smiles or laughs and the same side of her mouth that doesn't lift as high when she smiles. She has said that no other health issues resulted from the episode, just the appearance on her face.
Nobody seems to care. She is still a beautiful person.
This and possibly the Bells may be along the line of what I had neurosurgery for two years ago. Over a period of 8 or so years, I had a facial spasm that started around the left eye[ faint at first then more pronounced over time] that would even pull my upper lip towards the eye. Sometimes faint and other times it would close my eyelid which made it fun driving, welding etc when you need that depth perception. Of course it would really take off when I was talking to people which would make them look at me funny like I was lying causing the ticks. Got diagnosed with USC and they found that the Vertebral Artery by the brain stem was enlarged, not common but not unknown, which applied pressure to the Trigeminal Nerve and was the cause of the issue. This same problem can also manifest itself into pain, like an electrical shock or burning sensation, on the face. The procedure is called "Trigeminal Nerve Decompression". July of 22 I went down there for the deed. They cut a hole in the skull, left side just behind the ear, went in and put a Teflon sponge between the artery[ after moving it some without cutting] and the nerve. The artery or vessel applies pressure against the nerve causing the problem and can even put a dent on it. It took several months for the problem to pretty much go away. There is no 100% guarantee of it stopping but it's usually in the 80/90% range. As long as it was less than what I had I figured its fine. For me there was no pain issue with the spasm, it was just annoying. On the plus side, I'm now a metal head. Have a Titanium plate where the cut the hole for rock removal.

Yes Leon is talking about Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. Stayed there a few times. Took the bus to Ixtapa one day. Walked the tourist beach, couldn’t get off the beach fast enough. Too many tourists making idiots out of themselves. Could stay at Leon’s, seems the property is still kind of like a compound with condo’s. Mazatlan, we stayed away from the luxurious hotels, further down the beach, walked all over. Took cabs had a wonderful time. That was in the early 90’s. Bucket list still has Zihua on it, depending on mobility.
Our place is out in Cerritos. Right at the end of the road. Wife and I aren’t touristy or party people so we avoid the Golden Zone as much as possible. Cerritos has a nacionales beach which is super cool. Mexicans know how to enjoy a day at the beach without being obnoxious so we hang out there.
It’s a funny thing, we went to L.A. and Palm Springs and didn’t fit in there with the locals. We went to a Mexican market in L.A. and total strangers were talking to us and even invited us to a bar b que. That pretty much mirrors our experience in Mexico. If a person can avoid the tourist crap it and its people are amazing. Mind you, Texans were pretty cool, too.

Background: Bell's palsy is a rare adverse event reported in COVID-19 vaccines. Given the importance of neurological manifestations, the necessity to highlight and scrutinize the incidence of them following COVID-19 vaccination is needed. This study aimed to systematically review the reported cases of Bell's palsy following vaccination against COVID-19.

So Friday I have a bad headache, like I had been bumped behind my ear. My dog plays super rough so I just assumed that she had bumped me while roughhousing.
Saturday I wake up to half of my face sagging noticeably, I can’t completely close my mouth, and I can’t shut one eye.
I’m freakin’, thinking I have just had a stroke or have a brain tumour.
Wife who works in the medical field tells me that I have Bells Palsey. Hmmm…
Search of the web shows to be the case, and other then being super weird and inconvenient it is quite normal and common.
Apparently lasts two weeks to two months.
I’m only five days into it. I’ve been through worse but it is certainly no fun.
Anyone else here been through it? Any tips, tricks, or sage advice for me?
1. I'd get to a DR.
2. I'd get a second opinion
3. What you shared could also be a stroke, and time is of the essence dude.

Had a coworker that experienced this. Scary, but short lived with complete recovery. Stay calm.

Auto Transport Service
Back