• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone in Phoenix, Surprise AZ that knows this car?

@Billccm Do you remember this car being advertised several years ago in Sun City (Phoenix)? It was the one with no contact information. Crazy.

It hasn't been advertised since that time (I've been checking periodically). It might be worth driving up and down the streets one weekend to see if the car is sitting in view. Maybe go to barbershops in the area and ask them if they recognize the car or if they know a "car guy" who might know. Maybe someone at a paint and body shop knows who has the car?

It was parked outside of an older home...since when has a house been built with a one car garage? Finding the older neighborhoods in Sun City might help narrow the search?

The sticker on the rear window might be a for car club?

Screenshot_20220712-175423~2.png

Last edited:
I do remember that car and the craigslist ad. The Mopar community in Phoenix is fairly close knit and no one could ever get me any leads.

That car is probably long gone. I think it's been 6 years since that listing was posted. What app did you use to find the address?

Had my FBI-guy :hifu: do it since he wasn't doing anything else! LOLz

No - actually, a little detective work... - just Google earth, then street-view. Everything needed was in the posted picture and @DeltaV 's observation about the "age" of the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Had a go with a gal that had a 69 charger for sale. It was a scam for sure. If you can't see the car in person, then no go for me. The combo that is led me to believe something is at myth with the car. It just don't sound right.

That car is probably long gone. I think it's been 6 years since that listing was posted. What app did you use to find the address?

That house last sold in 2016, about 6 years ago. Sellers may have wanted to clear it out.

I live in Surprise... Mopar junkie for 40 years . No 100%expert but know what #s are etc . LMK if I can help.. its115° during day...

When someone says you couldn’t get a 4speed with AC I would question that statement. Back in 1970 I ordered a 340 A Body with bucket seats, Auto on the column and 3:91 sure grip. Someone in early 2000’s said to me (via Internet) you couldn’t order 3:91 gears in an Automatic. We’ll I did! Plus I ordered an A4 paint code which in all the Chrysler literature it clearly stated it was one of the colors not available on A Body’s. It took going to numerous dealerships at the time until I found a recently opened dealership that contacted Chrysler to approve my paint code request. It was approved by Chrysler for an additional $125. So, when someone says you couldn’t get someone or it was available I question that statement. Now, I don’t know and I’m sure someone out there more knowledgeable than me would know, but would the four speed tranny have a stamped number that matches the motor?

Correction: My previous post should read “when someone says, you couldn’t order something or it wasn’t available” I politely question that statement.

Chrysler was definitely the most accommodating car company when it came to building unicorn cars. There are quite a few one of one special order mopars out there in the world. Without a build sheet it won't be easy to prove one way or the other on this car.

Special order paint was available throughout the muscle car era. They are commonly referred to as “999” paint code cars. Nothing special there.

They took silver away in 1970 from A, B, and E bodies. And you see quite a few “999” code 1970 cars with silver. A fellow club member has one in a 70 Challenger RT/SE.

The 3.91 with auto is not shown in the ordering book printed at the beginning of model year. BUT there are all kinds of options and special packages added and deleted throughout the model year.

Your 3.91 with automatic is option code A31. And available here: https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/PIBs/1970/1970 Plymouth pib 9 pg1.jpg

These Product Information Bulletins are lesser known and harder to find. Barry has been collecting them and sharing them in his Hamtramck Historical site. There’s still many that he don’t have record off.

In early 2000’s these Bulletins weren’t shared publicly like they are now. And the list of them is growing.

Last edited:
When someone says you couldn’t get a 4speed with AC I would question that statement. Back in 1970 I ordered a 340 A Body with bucket seats, Auto on the column and 3:91 sure grip. Someone in early 2000’s said to me (via Internet) you couldn’t order 3:91 gears in an Automatic. We’ll I did! Plus I ordered an A4 paint code which in all the Chrysler literature it clearly stated it was one of the colors not available on A Body’s. It took going to numerous dealerships at the time until I found a recently opened dealership that contacted Chrysler to approve my paint code request. It was approved by Chrysler for an additional $125. So, when someone says you couldn’t get someone or it was available I question that statement. Now, I don’t know and I’m sure someone out there more knowledgeable than me would know, but would the four speed tranny have a stamped number that matches the motor?
How about an explanation... You could not get A/C with a 440 and a 4 Spd.... Basically if it has a Dana it can't have A/C.
You could get A/C with a 318/340/383 & a 4 Spd as long as it didn't have a gear numerically higher than 3.55...
You couldn't get A/C with multiple carburation no 340-6 no 440-6 & no 426 Hemi either 4 Spd or Auto....

Your 3.91 with A/C should not happen and most likely wasn't coded for the gears... Dealers swapped gears to sell cars... Chrysler didn't bend the rules unless you had some pull....

And yes starting in 68 the 4 Spd should have the VIN stamped into it...

How about an explanation... You could not get A/C with a 440 and a 4 Spd.... Basically if it has a Dana it can't have A/C.
You could get A/C with a 318/340/383 & a 4 Spd as long as it didn't have a gear numerically higher than 3.55...
You couldn't get A/C with multiple carburation no 340-6 no 440-6 & no 426 Hemi either 4 Spd or Auto....

Your 3.91 with A/C should not happen and most likely wasn't coded for the gears... Dealers swapped gears to sell cars... Chrysler didn't bend the rules unless you had some pull....

And yes starting in 68 the 4 Spd should have the VIN stamped into it...

I don’t think his 340 3.91 gear, auto duster has a/c.

Im confused if A/C comment about his Duster or just the an example. If he could clarify, that would be great.

The firewall has been patched in where the A/C stuff would be on this car, so it’s not original to the car.

I don’t think his 340 3.91 gear, auto duster has a/c.

Im confused if A/C comment about his Duster or just the an example. If he could clarify, that would be great.
Clarification: My 340 ‘70 Duster was not an AC car. I have the original window sicker. If you would like to see it you can email me ([email protected]) and someone can post it since I don’t currently hold a gold membership. Maybe someone can interpret the paint since it doesn’t indicate 999.

Clarification: My 340 ‘70 Duster was not an AC car. I have the original window sicker. If you would like to see it you can email me ([email protected]) and someone can post it since I don’t currently hold a gold membership. Maybe someone can interpret the paint since it doesn’t indicate 999.
I just pulled up the window sticker and on the top left (color code) 09 is indicated.
And yes, A31 high performance axle package is indicated.

I just pulled up the window sticker and on the top left (color code) 09 is indicated.
And yes, A31 high performance axle package is indicated.

In different years special order paint was not coded "999", but many people just call Mopars with special order paint "999" code.

I'm not sure what codes were used for what years.

Recently here on FBBO, an original owner posted about 73 or 74 Road Runner that he ordered with special order paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back