• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone know of a reputable paint shop that can color match custom paint without a code?

67charger440

Local time
4:30 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to avoid respraying the whole car. I have fender that is off white to the rest of the vehicle. Does anyone know of a paint shop they would recommend that i can ship my gas tank lid to so they can match the color? If they could ship me a quart of the paint? Thank you.

IMG_3514.PNG

IMG_3515.PNG

You seriously don't have a body shop in your area that can match that color ?????

I just had my hood painted at literally the closest shop to home.
They had a gun to read the paint color.
It is very very close but I think white can be a tough one.
1656527843632.png

Parts stores that supply body and paint shops have a gun that can read your paint. Most jobbers will not charge for this service as long as you are buying supplies from them.

Local shop matched my aged EW1 off white perfectly.

Three times!

I think the "gun" has a hood that might be slightly larger than your fuel door.

They used the surface of my trunk lid.

That same shop also matched notoriously difficult JY3 and YY1.

...and the first 2 times it was an 18 year old kid with dreadlocks that did it!

Last edited:
Local automotive paint supply store near me put a camera (or such) on the hood and got whatever info it provided. Mixed up the paint and put it in a rattle can for me. Not cheap for a rattle can, but it was a perfect match.

White is a very tough color to match without blending into the next panel.
My advice for what its worth is with lack of a correct paint code get the color camera matched like mentioned above.
You will need prob a few more shots than just the gas door. Sometimes lady luck will shine on you and a panel paint will match , but with white ???? Blend onto the door.

I know of a top of the food chain guy up in Mpls - but I can 100% guarantee you won’t like what he charges. I sold my X to a close buddy up there and he had to get a fender resprayed - not even custom - when I painted it I used a color I discovered off a brand new 2003 Lexus on the lot when I bought my white one. It was a pearl garmett. Never looked good or sold well for Lexus so I think it was only used that one year - but when I saw it I made a mental note that I had just found the color I was going to paint my X if and when I ever restored her. Well I did restore some 20 years later - and I did use that color. All people could talk about was that incredibly beautiful color and paint job on the car. So of course it had a code. My buddy went to the best up there for the fender respray. And yes the guy did his thing and of course it turned out perfect. But when told what he charged - I lost all my teeth, emptied my bladder and bowels right then and there. Holy sh*t - Yeah I know a guy. And his prices are all “walk a way” prices. Either you pay him what he wants or you walk away. There’s zero negotiation. But he’s that good.

PPG is also very good at matching paint.
Though I don't know if you have a distributor
close to your location. They can also match
and fill rattle cans for touch-ups.

I am trying to avoid respraying the whole car. I have fender that is off white to the rest of the vehicle. Does anyone know of a paint shop they would recommend that i can ship my gas tank lid to so they can match the color? If they could ship me a quart of the paint? Thank you.

View attachment 1306054

View attachment 1306055
Did you at least get Stevie Wonder's autograph after he sprayed that fender?

Was told by an Anthropology Professor that Inuits have 200 words to describe the color white.

Routine procedure at any good automotive paint store. At least it is here in the "big" city. They use a Spectrophotometer then the paint tech makes any fine adjustments by sight if needed. 100% match. Don't you have any automotive paint stores in your area? Or body shops that have their own mixing equipment. Any large body shop can point you in the right direction as to who's the best

Auto Transport Service
Back