• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know what aftermarket RB blocks are avalable nowadays?

2quick

Local time
8:36 AM
Reaction score
Think I hurt the motor in the Satellite last week and I'm looking for a new short block. I have a complete 440 in the car with all the goodies including -1 heads that where really worked on and flow a bunch of air. The heads are way to big for my current application and if I'm going to do it, It will be a big RB like a 572. I called INDY and they do not have any iron blocks available, only MAX aluminium blocks, but even then cranks are out till next year. Current motor make about 660ish (I think) and runs 10.70's@125 at 3,950lbs with me in it, In street trim, through the exhaust. Car weighs 3700lbs. What are my option in todays world. I have some money, but not sure I really need or want to spend $14,000 on a MAX short block, although weight loss would be nice.

Goals:
Very low 10's N/A
Mid 9's on a 200 shot, My kit is adjustable, and will spray up too 500hp, but don't think I would ever do that!
Want to do drag and drive events like Drag week so needs to be stout!
Show Car / Street Car / Race car (in that order)
Must be able to drive anywhere, and i'm not nice to it!

For those that don't remeber or know the car, see the build thread below. It's been awhile since it was updated.
My 66 Satellite street car project

Let me know what you think?

Callies was doing them for a teet under 6K, as far as "available"? Well that's a crap shoot in 2022....you'll probably be waiting awhile for whichever you choose.

I chose the "new" (2019) Bill Mitchell aluminum RB big bore (4.49) aluminum block and Molnar crank and rods for my 572. Same applications as you.

Auto Transport Service
Back