• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone know who will coat a gas tank here in Pa?

QuickBpBp

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of kits for do it yourselfers out there but I was just asked about cleaning and flushing a gas tank in an old 53 MG that I delivered last week. The fuel was old and I could see some rust flakes in the tank. I told him I would drain the fuel and look at the inside/ I guess there was flakes in it so he called the person I delivered it for to ask about a place. I said I would look into it as it might have to be sent out as I don't know anyone offering that service. It’s an exterior painted tank that’s it behind the spare tire. I was thinking maybe a Motorcycle place? Any help is appreciated.

IMG_5880.jpeg

Don't seal the inside, new set of problems. What does it look like inside?
You could tumble it with buck shot or shot. How much is a new replacement?
If they can afford the car, should be able to get a new tank?

There is a product by the people who make Por-15 - we used it on my A100 tank - the original one that is.

One product cleans after a flush, and the other is a coating that goes inside.....if you want to do it yourself that is. Messy but it works.

Here's the sealer...
Fuel Tank Repair

1711229220149.png

Prices shown are in New Zealand pesetas.... :lol:

There is a product by the people who make Por-15 - we used it on my A100 tank - the original one that is.

One product cleans after a flush, and the other is a coating that goes inside.....if you want to do it yourself that is. Messy but it works.

Here's the sealer...
Fuel Tank Repair

View attachment 1633759

Prices shown are in New Zealand pesetas.... :lol:
I saw this but again the owner is not that mechanically inclined to do this project himself...

The trouble with sealers is, after you acid clean the tank inside, somewhere in the process they tell you to rinse it with water. Which starts the rust again and then you seal over it. Then there is the whole tumbling process, but this was with a motorcycle tank, I wouldn't even attempt a car gas tank. I still hate gas tank sealers. Is a reproduction available?

The trouble with sealers is, after you acid clean the tank inside, somewhere in the process they tell you to rinse it with water. Which starts the rust again and then you seal over it. Then there is the whole tumbling process, but this was with a motorcycle tank, I wouldn't even attempt a car gas tank. I still hate gas tank sealers. Is a reproduction available?
Wash it out with methylated spirits after a water flush.

Meths is not harmful to your engine of the fuel.....and it mostly evaporates after a short time.

Don't seal the inside, new set of problems. What does it look like inside?
You could tumble it with buck shot or shot. How much is a new replacement?
If they can afford the car, should be able to get a new tank?
Not my car. New owner got it given to him for free only had to pay for the paperwork. I didn't see the tank once drained. I imagine tanks are crazy priced then it's painted same color as the car. Tanks are $1200-up. He has money owns one of those Bright Star franchises but I doubt he will spend $2,000 on a new painted tank. Again not my car just looking to help.

MG T Gas Tanks

Thought about that too as I use that. He could put a 5 gallon container in it and turn it every so many hours then dump it out. The only thing is I don't really know the condition of the tank... Depending on condition it could still have rust floaters as the tank is used. I may end up asking what it actually looks like inside but sometimes people's opinions are not in line with reality..

fill it with molasses and water for a month?

View attachment 1633910View attachment 1633911
That maybe an option as it could just have surface rust and need a light cleaning... After having some time to think I guess I have to talk to him about it to help him the right way. I am involved Third party and coating the tank was what he was looking to do. It may not need something that extensive and I really didn't want to get involved but I think I have to...

I've had experience with m/c tanks and the outcome not great. Problem is like most things the prep work is 90% of the job. Cleaning the inside properly is almost impossible. Must be squeaky clean for the coating to adhere and remain attached. In the long run a new fuel tank is the best solution. Just my opinion and limited experience. Wish you luck and positive results.

Hope I’m not being too harsh:
A- the guy has money
B- he got the car free
C- he can’t do the work himself

Pop for a new gas tank man!

Not harsh at all. That's reality. Cheaper in the long run.
Actually not that cheap. So $1200 plus tax and shipping on the tank and then it has to be prepped and painted. So I would guess $2,000 minimum for a new tank done and painted. I don't know how bad the tank is it could just have some surface rust and I need to find out more to help him as coating the tank might not even be needed after thinking about it cause it's HIS opinion.. We all know how they can differ..

Auto Transport Service
Back