• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone lift their empty car body with a tractor's front end loader?

superbee_68

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a John Deere 4105 40 horse tractor with a front end loader. The loader is rated to lift 1,400 lbs. I would like to be able to lift the empty shells of b and e body cars to move them around the shop, load on trailers, etc. Has anyone else used a front end loader attachment on a tractor to move empty car bodies (no drivetrain, suspension, glass, or interior)? Those who have, do you think 1,400 lb capacity is enough? I'm guessing I might need counter weights hanging off the back, weights bolted on the tires, or filling the tires with anti-freeze to keep the tractor from tipping forward. I will attach a picture of the tractor I am looking to buy for reference. I really do not want to go any bigger than the 4105 for many reasons including budget, hydro-static transmission availability, and over-all size. It's another $12,000-$15,000 to go up go up to the 4250 with a larger front end loaded with 1,000 lbs more capacity. It's $3,000-$5,000 more to upgrade to a 5 series tractor with a larger loader, but no hydro-static transmissions are available. For my intended uses, shifting gears and using a clutch is not ideal. Neither of these are an option in my opinion and I do not want to buy a used tractor. Intended functions for the tractor: mow 3-5 acres, clean out horse stalls, work a 150'x250' roping arena regularly, maintain the driveways at my house, move heavy things around with pallet forks, and hoist up empty car bodies for cleaning, blasting, and loading onto trailers. What do you guys think?
Thanks for any input.

john deer.jpg

I have a Case DX45 w/ hydrostat and a quick connect front assy. meaning bucket and forks attach like a skid loader which places the forks/bucket 6" further forward but it worked fine for moving my '64 shell. It's been a workhorse for the past 9 years. I do have a backhoe attached and you will likely need to some kind of counter weight depending on what you try to lift.

Be safe. Good luck with your decision.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/ima...f&.crumb=St6KPxoLWqz&fr=yfp-t-250&fr2=piv-web

scraping junk bodys? looking for an excuse to buy a tractor? only damage to the bodys and tractor will result.... it would be cheaper and easyier to make the chasis roll on wheels or on a jig or rotisery... in a salvage yard they use a front end loader with forks to lift and move car bodys and the front end loader gets beat up but can handle 10x the weight of that tractor and the tires are super duty not turf tires... and they damage the cars when you do it when they do it. but there going to be crushed.... this is so beyond my comprehension i almost cant find the words to reply.... i have seen motors pulled with tractors and it usually is very dangerous and only people with years of experience do it out of lazyness to use a hoist ???? just because some thing is advertised as 'rated ' doesnt mean in all positions 100% of the time 2000 pounds of gravel in bucket is not the same as a 2000 pound car body..... i would strongly caution aghnst this....

- - - Updated - - -

sorry i am 100% wrong someone else is doing it..... great idea man....

The loader looks plenty heavy to me and most likely capable.The limiting factor is and I am guessing here but thinking the hydraulic pump.Another thing to remember is the loader gets closer to the tractor the higher you lift so a car body would be right tight to the tractor.

I doubt it that tractor will lift a car body. I did move my brothers scrap RX7 with the hay spear on the front end loader of an 85hp tractor once. That was pretty funny! Right thru the door!

Nice tractor but seems like an awful lot of money for something that might work, and who knows if it will do it safely (I wouldn't do it). A couple support columns, an I beam, trolley and a hoist would cost a fraction as much as the upgrade and would be safer to boot. Honestly, I use to do about 10X that much daily work with a $2000 Farmal H on my uncles dairy farm growing up, but sounds like you're pretty set on the hydrostatic deal. Myself I'd go buy an old Farmal, Massey or Ford 8N and save the boatload of money left over on a mopar or two..lol Good luck what ever route you go. John Deere has been making good machines for quite a long time.

One problem I've had with the "utility type" tractors, is when you max out the loader capacity, the front axle has so much weight on it you can't even turn the steering. A 2020 JD I had would blow the seals right out of the power steering unit if too much weight was in the bucket.

I also had a 4200 series JD. Bought a three pt hitch boom for the back. Tried lifting a 318 with trans out of a Diplomat. It started out but halfway, the front end lifted and I had my hands full real quick.

The idea sounds easy enough but there are physics that apply that you never see!

That JD looks a little light to me, it will pick it up but as you raise the bucket it will
raise the CG and you can tip if you turn too quickly.
I do it all the time but with a New Holland 545D industrial that weighs 9000 lbs.
It's a really nice tractor.
Good luck!

When I left the Marines in 94 I dreamed of continuing my blunt force trauma skills by providing anti loader tractor protection services for classic American cars.

It is my strong opinion that there is still a call for this type of service, I just don't know how to market the service.

Classic American cars deserve proper protection from loader tractors. All loader tractors found within a 1/4 mile from a classic car should be rained upon with a barrage of munitions, I prefer a cocktail mix of incendiary/armor piercing/explosive ordinance.

Apply ordinance to loader tractor until red hot molten cast iron crater is achieved.

:)

Last edited:
The ability to move empty car shells would have been a bonus and why it was last on the list of intended functions, not a primary reason for buying the tractor. I am asking for people who are experienced with moving empty bodies and working compact utility tractors to give their opinion. I am buying the tractor to mow the pasture, drag the roping arena, maintain driveways, bare bottom horse stalls, move small round bales of hay, etc... After hearing the consensus I will not be trying to move my Cuda around with the tractor so those of you who were blown away by the though of it can rest easy. I like the idea Propwash gave, support columns, I-beam, and a trolley hoist in the shop could be used for a lot of the heavy lifting required when restoring a car.

Smart remarks are not very helpful...

That capacity seems a little high at 1,400lbs, thought they were around 7-800. When they rate those loaders they generally rate them at the pivot point.
I think your gonna be short on capacity. Maybe look into a 4020 with an bullet proof 158 loader.

I have access to a JD 4200 and even tho it's only about 26 hp, it's way to light to pick up anything heavy. Used to have an 'A' frame made of 2 1/4" pipe and the top beam was doubled and it would pick up car bodies with no problem. Just had to work on concrete to be able to move the body on dollies to get them under the A frame and load on a trailer. Bare bodies can also be winched up on a low boy. I just latch onto the K frame and make sure the ramps are in line with the frame rails. This isn't the best way for a 'good' body to be treated but it'll work if you're careful. The last bare body 70 Cuda I sold was loaded this way. Getting it off was done pretty much the same way only I hooked onto the rear frame rails and then go slow getting it off.

When I left the Marines in 94 I dreamed of continuing my blunt force trauma skills by providing anti loader tractor protection services for classic American cars.

It is my strong opinion that there is still a call for this type of service, I just don't know how to market the service.

Classic American cars deserve proper protection from loader tractors. All loader tractors found within a 1/4 mile from a classic car should be rained upon with a barrage of munitions, I prefer a cocktail mix of incendiary/armor piercing/explosive ordinance.

Apply ordinance to loader tractor until red hot molten cast iron crater is achieved.

:)

I would only add to this a circumference of anti tank mines layed out in a fan pattern with a 40# shape charges scattered about the mines with a fresh seeding or lawn on top..... for at least a minimum of 1500 yards around .... A CUDA!?!?!?! or Any other classic car....

- - - Updated - - -

That capacity seems a little high at 1,400lbs, thought they were around 7-800. When they rate those loaders they generally rate them at the pivot point.
I think your gonna be short on capacity. Maybe look into a 4020 with an bullet proof 158 loader.
And a bullet proof cab and Windows.... check a navy demo yard for the plate...

Auto Transport Service
Back