• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone recognize this as an Assembly Plant Paint marking?

b-body fan

Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
I was taking a picture of a front bumper bracket that is missing a bolt on my 71 Hemi Road Runner and discovered what is possibly a production paint marking/signature?? MOTA
The only connection I can make is the car was built in St Luis “MO”. the car had one repaint in the early 90’s and I’m sure the bumper was off for that but don’t know what value there would be in writing MOTA on the bumper during a restoration. Anyone ever see anything like this or know if the paint pen pattern looks like other known markings? The blotting is unique at the start and finish of each line.

78BCEB34-20E3-4F52-8833-70311FD371FA.png

67C86B2D-167C-4195-971D-EA981F7BFB23.jpeg

Not factory

That’s a more modern paint pen. Seen them on junkyard parts bought in late 70’s even.

Junkyard identification or maybe a paint shop ID for the parts while they were off during repaint

Could be a shop ID put there by a rechromer; looks like a paint pen, which I haven't seen on factory cars.
Back in the '80s, I knew a hispanic guy who referred to marijuana as "mota"...

Could be a shop ID put there by a rechromer; looks like a paint pen, which I haven't seen on factory cars.
Back in the '80s, I knew a hispanic guy who referred to marijuana as "mota"...
Hope there was no MOTA being smoked when they built it. Thanks for the reply’s!

"mota".....forgot all about that, kind'a like colita, cola, gange

Junkyard paint pen. Used to ID parts, and to mark what is sold in case customers try to return something. I have a lower control arm on my truck marked ODAS. (I purchased it at Old Dominion Auto Salvage.)

Auto Transport Service
Back