• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone used regular Krylon or Rustolium as engine paint?

Dupli-Color has race-Hemi and street-Hemi orange. I don’t know how close they are to original. I have both both but neither was a good match for whatever the PO painted my Hemi With. Finally bought a can of their Chevy orange and it was a close match. I’ve had good luck with Dupli-color engine paints.

Twenty five years ago I used Eastwood engine paint to paint the engine in my 66 Corvette. It does not have a bunch of miles on it, but many years, and it still looks like it was painted last week.

i used a motorcoater brand , i forget which color exactly. i brushed it on stuff is tuff as nails. i can look when i get home i still have some. fairly inexpensive

1658959124458.png

Dupli-Color has race-Hemi and street-Hemi orange. I don’t know how close they are to original. I have both both but neither was a good match for whatever the PO painted my Hemi With. Finally bought a can of their Chevy orange and it was a close match. I’ve had good luck with Dupli-color engine paints.

Twenty five years ago I used Eastwood engine paint to paint the engine in my 66 Corvette. It does not have a bunch of miles on it, but many years, and it still looks like it was painted last week.
If what you had was a good match to chevy orange, I'm guessing it was painted....... chevy orange, lol.
Race hemi orange (also used on maxwedges) is a very yellow orange, much more yellow than street hemi, or chevy orange either.

i used a motorcoater brand , i forget which color exactly. i brushed it on stuff is tuff as nails. i can look when i get home i still have some. fairly inexpensive
Hubbarocks that looks great, AND looks like race hemi orange. I looked at the KBS motorcoater stuff, and would definitely try it, but they don't list "RACE" hemi orange, and if their hemi orange is for 68up 383, 440, and 426, it's way off of the color I need.

Duplicolor shows hemi orange, and Chrysler orange. Are you saying the Chrysler orange is close to race hemi?

I bought so many cans of orange paint that I think I confused myself. It seems to be OER who markets a race Hemi orange OERK89160 and street Hemi orange OERK89168 and not Dupli-color. I ordered the street Hemi orange but it was straight orange (pumpkin orange) and didn’t match whatever the PO painted the engine with. A Dupli-color Chevrolet orange that had a bit more red toner matched very closely.

I've used regular Rustoleum for basic gloss black items on an engine, brackets and so on, and from the first time I tried it I disliked it. Stays soft and gummy for a long time, when it finally completely cures the gloss dies back. I guess it is probably okay when you just want something on there to protect the metal, it will do that. For the effort needed to clean and prep, I wanted a better outcome.

I've had much better results with rustoleum professional and "painters touch" for the same kind of thing. The paint dries and hardens much better, and less of the gloss dies back although it still does that to some degree.

I've had better results yet from epoxy primer followed by catalyzed urethane shot from a spray gun, in combination with powder coat, so this is what I use on something important to me that I really care about. Quickie/beater projects can get whatever is on hand.

Last edited:
Any brackets and pulleys I like VHT it goes on nicely and looks great years later.

This is the primer and paint I brushed on after using a small propane torch to dry the moisture from the block. The primer and paint was on the shelf at Lowe's. The block is a 327 Chevrolet but according to Uncle Tony (Uncle Tony's Garage) Omaha Orange is a great match for Mopar Orange but can be ordered by Lowe's if it's not on the shelf.

IMG_0505.jpg

Last edited:
Hubbarocks, you da man! Thank you so much! When I looked at KBS's site, I didn't find that! Gonna order a couple pints today!
Might be on the late show. But I confirmed it's the race hemi orange I used. Love this color

20220731_085017.jpg

Rustoleum used to make Chrysler Hemi Orange Engine Paint
Its discontinued
You might find old stock in stores

Rustoleum also made Chevy Orange Red Engine Paint that looked identical

I see that’s discontinued on there website also

As far as gas resistant - I will put my vote on VHT. I just finished repainting my hemis valve covers with VHT wrinkle paint and reinstalling them after adjusting the valves. Upon initial restarting I discovered one of the 6 mo old reproduction fuel filter rubber connection hoses was leaking and gas was running down the length of the right, upper side of the VC. I quickly shut it off and grabbed a wad of paper towels and began soaking up the ethanol, expecting to see a bunch of barely cured black paint to start rubbing off or lifting. That paint completely shrugged off the gas like it was water. No black smuggles on the paper towels or stains on the paint after drying it off. Now as for how correct the orange paint is, that’s on the previous owner.
9FDAFC20-6425-49A2-B7B4-CF11A860E7F8.jpeg

Update:
I decided to redo my Maxwedge-modified TM7 to experiment with the paints I do have, before trying to redo the real max stuff. I found two different krylon oranges that looked promising, more yellow than most oranges.;Gloss pumpkin orange, supposedly with primer, and gloss popsicle orange. I also have about a half can of the Mopar performance race hemi orange P4120751, and a can of Omaha orange from mazzolini that he says is correct (judging from the cap color, I doubted it.) What i found kinda shocked me.....
The probably ten year old (at least five) Mopar paint still worked after I cleaned the nozzle with some diesel and compressed air. So I touched up some bare spots with primer and shot some mp paint on some primered cardboard, and some on the underside of the manifold. Sprayed some krylon on the cardboard too.
Then I tried both krylons. They were both close, and the same color despite different names, but slightly yellower than the mp (which I am assuming is "right". You know what happens when you assume.....)
Then tried the Omaha. Guess I owe Bob an apology, cause it seems like good paint for a spray can, and a dead nuts match for the mp color.
So, what I ended up doing.... put a coat of krylon on it, and then I'm gonna overcoat it with the Omaha, and see what I get.
I will say this. Getting a decent reproduction off this color with a camera phone or tablet is almost impossible, kinda like the Mopar turquoise.

Last edited:
Question: Are there any areas which you would avoid using Tony's "torch" method? Im thinking you'd want to avoid the freeze plugs.

Last edited:
Yes, I avoided the freeze plugs but that’s all on the bare block you need to watch out for.

Auto Transport Service
Back