• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running late model wheels?

Cevidicus

Local time
10:30 PM
Reaction score
Is anyone using late model wheels on a '68-'70 b-body?

I want to run some 17' steel wheels off of base Charger or 300.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences on that option?

Thanks!

The offset is all wrong, you'd need to run 2'' spacers. Also, the bolt pattern is slightly different, it's only a few millimeters, but it will make the studs crooked... That last hurdle could be taken care of with spacers that bolt to the hubs and have the studs with the correct pattern attached to it... So it would not be as much as a low-buck solution as it would seem at first...
Ben

At the junkyard I put LH wheels on a 5th ave and the fit perfect. Might get you 16s.

I also put Jeep wheels on the same 5th ave and they fit as well.

I'd like to put these on my 74 Charger:

Attachments

• jeep wheels.jpg
    jeep wheels.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 497
LH wheel bolt pattern is very close to the old standard MOPAR, I've read/heard that you can use 'em on the old cars, but, to me it looks crappy! The offset is very different, to me, they just don't look right.

I think the NEW, new pattern (like new Charger/Challenger) is quite a bit smaller.

They made/make a lot of differnt style wheels lately, sometimes 3,4,5 or more per body style, per year. Different sizes, offsets and styles. My "favorite" U- pull charges $25 each.

Those LH wheels had NO issues as far as having to force them or the studs being tight. the offset didn't look bad, either.

The new Chally,300c,maggy, use either a 5x114.3, or 5x115. Super close to the 5x4 1/2 the older cars used.

I knew you would chime in Rev..

Ah, yes!!

Gdemon over on FABO runs the ones I want to use on his Demon....

I believe he used spacers on front and a wider b-body rear. I dont want to replicate the ralley look just black with chrome lug nuts. Not a long term deal for me just have access to the wheels and tires on the cheap. Even if I have to buy spacers it'll still be way less expensive than a new set of 17's, well any that I want.

Attachments

• 6382120-sideresize6-15-10.jpg
    6382120-sideresize6-15-10.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC_0290.jpg
    DSC_0290.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 473
There's quite a few over on FABO that have done the B rear under their As. (66-67 rears?)
Clair Davis had a huge thread on using Fox body wheels on his Valiant. From what I've been able to gleen, there are 2 bolt patterns that Mother Mopar is using on the new cars. I'm not totally sure on the who is who in the zoo, my brain fades at times, but I believe the SRT8s use the larger 115mm bolt circle. Could be related to the Brembo brakes, could be something started with the germans, I really don't know fer sure. Personally, I wouldn't risk using the 115 wheels. I'm not saying anything bad would happen, but I know my luck when things could go wrong.

What about Mustang wheels? Some of the later model mustangs have 17" and the same bolt pattern, but I don't know about the fit on a Mopar.

The two cavaets with the Mustang wheels are the smaller center register bore and the backspacing. The newest body ones have too much offset from my understanding. The Fox body ones have somewhere around 5 5/8" backspacing. Do a search over on FABO, there is way more info and opinions on this subject than I could even begin to absorb.

After years of hearing how rare and valuable A body 8 3/4 rears were, I measured one on a 67 Coronet 500, and then bought it for my 73 duster. In 1991 the price for an A body unit was about 250, and the 67 B was 50. It took me one grunt to push the springs the 3/4 inch per side apart, for the B rear to drop in. Best 200 grunt I ever had :)

Since then the "secret" is out and the A body parts have plataued, and are still at about the same price, but more so for absolute correct guys. B body units have almost caught up. Some people still argue pretty hard about NOT doing it, but they usually have never tried.

Heres a Cuda I saw at Carlisle last year with 18" 05 Magnum RT wheels

Attachments

• IMG_9227.jpg
    IMG_9227.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_9226.jpg
    IMG_9226.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 400
Auto Transport Service
Back