• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running Shell Rotella oil? How is it doing for you?

RTDaddy

Local time
3:44 AM
Reaction score
Looking for an oil with a bit more zinc in it, what is everyone running?

Brad Penn or Penn Grade, no issues .

I ran it in my old 440. That’s what the old owner was running. Seemed to work well. The guy that built my new engine broke it in with Driven oil. That is what I am using now

Valvoline VR1 is what is most easily accessible around here.

I run it in my Cummins, but awhile back (a few years ago) I read that it doesn't have as much zinc now as it used to.

no problem in my Bee :thumbsup:

Yes, Rotella, Delvac and similar will work fine in our old cars. While its true that the ZDDP levels are slightly lower than before, they still run in the range of 1250 to 1450ish ppm, so that is quite adequate.
The only exception is if you see a lot of RPM; as I understand it, the 'diesel oils' like Delvac don't have nearly as much additive packages that protect against 'shear' as quality automotive or 'race' oils do. If you use a lot of RPMs, pop for something like the Valvoline 'hot rod' oil that has the ZDDP and the high shear/yield protection.
Just my .02$ from what I have read [extensively] YMMV

I run it in all my vintage cars. But I’ll caveat that I don’t have anything with more than a mild street cam, all single valve springs with damper. I would switch to VR1 or Brad Penn if I was reving lots and had a lot of pressure over the cam nose with dual springs.

I’m running it on 4 cars with flat tappet cams and no problems.

Yep, anything with stock valve springs. No drama.

VR-1 comes in 5w/30 also. Run that in one of my RT’s with heavy valve springs.

If you want something synthetic, try this.
1707153848796.png

Here's the spec's on it.
1707153882188.png

Looking for an oil with a bit more zinc in it, what is everyone running?
I have used Rotella. It still is one of only 2-3 with the proper rating on it. I forget the letter, S maybe?
They did modify it maybe 3 years back now. I still get it for my 8.1/Allison but that doesn;t push RPM very high, on account of it doesn;t have to.

Delvac is for my tractor. It does alright. A poper SAE 30 would be better but that is not great in WI winter, which is when it runs most. I don;t use it in cars, it seems to break down faster in that application(tried it in one older pushrod Ford V8)

I had really good luck with Mobil 1 in a 94 5.0 Mustang. I hear great things about Amsoil all the time as well, but I have never run it myself. I run Mobil 1 in my '13 Charger as well. I think I will try Amsoil in the Dakota this spring. Right now I put NAPA house brand dinosaur juice in because it was on sale for give away price, I didn;t know what previous owner had used or when he did the last change, so I am doing a 2k mile oil change/filter as more of a flush than anything else for the winter.

Use to use it in all my diesel tow rigs, Rotella

My Granddad "Whitey" was a Shell oil VP lubricants dept./div. for 44 years
a bit of brand loyality

Brad Penn 10-40 is what I use in all my cars. Its green in color so you know it has vitaminz and electrolytes in it! Use to be able to buy it for a decent price off Amazon prime but since Bidumb been in office it has gone up quite a bit.

I run a straight .30 weight in mine year round. And I add a bottle of Lucas ZDDP adaptive as well

Might not be a good thing for other parts of the country.

Auto Transport Service
Back