• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone still looking for Retro style SUN Tachometers?

kiwigtx

Henchman #4 and Jack-Stand Racer #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:44 AM
Reaction score
I know a couple of people were looking a while back...and they apparently disappeared off the market. I was looking at Summit tonight and found they have been rebranded - Bosch has taken up the agency it seems.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bgs-fst8000

upload_2020-5-1_20-37-18.png

Certainly looks the same as my modern SUN Tach...
upload_2020-5-1_20-39-55.png

3zihuw.jpg

:lol:

I still have mine from 1978/high school sun supertach 2 and its in my car today and boy that makes me really happy!

I recently bought a new Bosh tach that looks like the Sun Super. I haven't installed it yet, but I am impressed. First impression was how it was packaged from Bosh---You will not believe how well it is packaged. Inside a clear plastic box and screwed down so it can't move around. Got both mounting brackets and a rubber pad. For the most part, the chrome on the cup is fairly good..not perfect, You can see a few buff marks in one small spot. but that can be hidden. Face ring is very good chrome. Shift point needle stays where you put it. ...Glass lense. I shopped on ebay, and it pays because I got free shipping. Note, it does not say Sun Super Tach on the face......................MO

I know a couple of people were looking a while back...and they apparently disappeared off the market. I was looking at Summit tonight and found they have been rebranded - Bosch has taken up the agency it seems.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bgs-fst8000

View attachment 944203

Certainly looks the same as my modern SUN Tach...
View attachment 944204

View attachment 944205

:lol:
Still have the one in my 66 Belvedere set at 4500.....but it was a /6 car. Max rpm was about 4800 lol. Let's see, got the car in 88 and had the tach for who knows how long before sticking it in.

saw a bunch related stuff on E-scam
search results from Sun Super Tach
range from $39 something to $400

this ol' org. rusty thing for $399
View attachment 946586

https://www.ebay.com/i/372915666628?chn=ps
And that nasty old thing is not even the desirable one. That looks more like the cheap Sun Pro version. The original Sun Super had a large red needle for the shift point with the adjuster knob in the center of the lens..........................MO

Still have mine purchased in 1965.
So , I expect yours from 1965 has the separate transmitter? I don't know when they changed to the all contained in the tach, but mine in 1968 was. Possibly they offered both versions at the same time? ...................................MO

Several on ebay right now.....It appears that the Sun Super Tach was the original , manufactured by Sun. It has the larger red shift point needle with the adjustment knob in the center of the lense, The Sun Super Tach ll has the small red pointer adjustable around the outer edge. That one , not sure if it was manufactured by Sun or was Sun Pro.....................................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back