• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone using electric power brakes?

Daytrepper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:27 PM
Reaction score
Someone converted my 66 Coronet years ago to front disc, with a kit from SSBC Brakes.

As far as the calipers and rotors they look good still. Car has the original rear drum brakes -- which I've overhauled.

I've found rust in the master cylinder. Tried to clean it out but I cant get all of it and definitely don't want any remnants.

Ive got a 440 under the hood with a cam that is top of the mild level -- so I'm worried about vacuum for a booster.

Anyone using electric power brakes? Pics of your setup?

I could also stick with the manual brakes and just replace the master. If I'm doing that I'm kind of at the "might as well" thought....

20230114_134109.jpg

I would go manual.
Now, electric steering on the other hand... :bananadance:

They're great because you can feel the pedal pressure.
Show me a 130- 140 mph car on the strip with power brakes... for some reason, they're fine without them..

Show me a 130- 140 mph car on the strip with power brakes... for some reason, they're fine without them..
I'd bet that most 140 mph. strip cars haven't got a whole lot of vacuum for the brakes anyway.

I'd bet that most 140 mph. strip cars haven't got a whole lot of vacuum for the brakes anyway.
They could use hydro boost, if it was in any way necessary.
Basically, if you can hold your body weight upright with leg muscles, you may qualify for man brakes lol.

True that.

I've never had one with manual brakes; nor driven a car with manual brakes -- at least a car with some power. LOL.

My daughter at 110 lbs can stop my '67 Coronet w manual front discs just fine. My Great Grandmother drove it from new until she passed in '94 w manual drums n she was barely 100 lbs. Never a problem. Don't understand why people have such a fear of manual brakes.

Fear of the unknown. In my previous occupation people who only had driven hydraulic brakes were hesitant of air brakes until they used them.

Thanks for all of your advice. I ordered the replacement master cylinder for the manual brakes, going with that.

Most of my other car friends said, "put power brakes on it, you're crazy for sticking with manual brakes!"

I've worked on many different brake systems in my former mechanic days; driven trucks with air brakes, cars with 4 wheel (power) drum brakes; all stopped fine. LOL. But never non-power brakes with a 3500 lb car and a big block.

It does make sense to me to put power brakes on a big car like this with a monster engine, but I've seen 4 wheel drums stop just as much...LOL.

I can say there's no problem with manual drums and a 318. Once you figure out how to manage the initial grab-from-hell, they're no harder to use than power discs. I've been a little concerned about switching to manual discs though - I found a comment that the big Viper discs drove the same as manual drums. May or may not be true, but I'm determined to find out!

Auto Transport Service
Back