• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are 67 GTX stripes coded on the underhood data plate?

AR67GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
Can you tell from the data plate if a 67 GTX was originally optioned with over the hood and trunk stripes? If so, how please?

yes iirc...under the UBS on the right lower corner.. under the letter S would show them.. my 67 barracuda formula s had a B there for black

Thanks - I'll check.

yes iirc...under the UBS on the right lower corner.. under the letter S would show them.. my 67 barracuda formula s had a B there for black

What was coded, when it was coded, how it was coded and even where it was coded on the tag changed year to year and plant by plant. What was done on a 67 A Body from Hamtramck may be different on 67 B body from the LA plant.

You should NOT find any stripe codes under the S on a 67 GTX.

Stripes on a 67 GTX are coded under the PNT code such as the picture below.
67_P6K_800.jpg

i knew it was on the tag..just couldn't remember where!

Not having a lot of luck with the decoding sites for fender tags - every one gives me a different result. I've owned this car about 18 years but Knew some of it (drivetrain for sure) is not original so I never bothered to check it out before. But now I'm starting to suspect this tag does not go with this particular GTX. See if you can make sense of this.

ab hj p u
65 74 6 1

A F RS X
1 5 11 1

AX TRM PNT UBS
48 P6R WW1 Q

RS23 83 5 485 517 02044

S/N is RS23L77217135

Thanks for any clarity you can provide.

check your front rad support for the so number, 02044

Will do. So that is the shipping order number and not the serial number stamped there? It's pretty loaded up with paint and very hard to read but didn't look like it matched the VIN so that may explain it.

Most of the crap that comes up on Google for fender tag codes are production codes for the broadcast sheets. Finally found a 67 Charger Source Guide listing that provided most of them and now I believe the tag is original to the car. A few of the codes were not listed which could be some difference between Dodge and Plymouth coding. The ones I could not match up are:

b-5, p-6, AX-48, T(TRM)-P

No number under S in UBS so it appears my car did not have the stripe option.

Anyone help with these other codes?

Thanks

AX 48 is a Suregrip 3.23 8 3/4 rear

B5 is Rear armrest with ashtray

P6 is remote driver side outside mirror

Stripes not coded on tag

Yes, front Rad rapport number is not a vin

I think I googled my way through the other codes:

b5 - bucket seats
AX48 - 3.23 Sure Grip
p6 rear speaker

Still not completely sure what the TP code is under TRM? I think Chargers TRM codes start with "S" for sports trim so it may just denote GTX or Satelite trim (?)

Stripes not coded on tag

Looks like I replied right after your post. Mine has a small "p" for p6 which I found as rear speaker. Is this right? Is the remote outside mirror a capital "P" P6? I do have a remote controlled outside mirror but it may have been added later.

You would think someone would have compiled a complete list of these fender tag codes for 67 by this time.:rolleyes:

Stripes not coded on tag

Will do. So that is the shipping order number and not the serial number stamped there? It's pretty loaded up with paint and very hard to read but didn't look like it matched the VIN so that may explain it.
The ones I could not match up are:

b-5, p-6, AX-48, T(TRM)-P

No number under S in UBS so it appears my car did not have the stripe option.

Anyone help with these other codes?

Let's see if we can get you back on the right track.....

TRM code: The standard trim code contains three different items of note. The level of trim (low to high) or how 'classy' it looks or model specific like the Charger trim. Signified by the first letter. They type of seat (bench, bucket, split, reclining etc) and material (Cloth, vinyl, mixed, leather, etc) used, signified by a number, and color, signified by a letter.

P = Premium level of trim. "Nice" door panels, seat pattern etc
6= Bucket seats in vinyl
R = red interior

Look at post 4.

67 GTX stripes are NOT, repeat NOT, coded under the S. You should NOT find any code under the S on a 67 GTX.

The hood/trunk stripes on a 67 GTX ARE coded as shown in post #4

Last edited:
Mine has a small "p" for p6 which I found as rear speaker. Is this right? Is the remote outside mirror a capital "P" P6? I do have a remote controlled outside mirror but it may have been added later.

p/6 = outside remote mirror. So Yes.
P/6 = I don't think you'll find this coded on any 67 fender tag.

Check out the Data and Color and Trim books at Hamtramck Historical. I think they will help explain some things. http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library-2.shtml

Last edited:
OK - looks like the info I found on p6 was wrong and that does make sense as my car has outside remote mirror but I don't believe it came with a rear speaker. It had some aftermarket dual speakers under-deck in the rear when I bought it but no sign of an original one.

I got off track on the "S" coding from the Charger Source Guide as it mentioned the stripe color under it. Thanks for correcting.

What about F5? I found someplace that said this represented GTX but not too sure of that now since RS23 also does so and some of the random references I found Googling are not panning out as correct.

Any chance it's for power steering? Pretty sure this car originally was built with PS - if not F5 what would the code for it be?

FWIW - no build sheet in this car. Someone must have removed it years ago.

Have carpets been changed or removed ever? If they haven't check for a BS under driver seat, probably need to loosen or remove seat. My 66 was a St Louis built.

Hi Fran - yes, they have been replaced. But I stripped the entire interior out of the car years ago and looked under everything and nothing left.

What about F5? I found someplace that said this represented GTX but not too sure of that now since RS23 also does so and some of the random references I found Googling are not panning out as correct.

Any chance it's for power steering? Pretty sure this car originally was built with PS - if not F5 what would the code for it be?

FWIW - no build sheet in this car. Someone must have removed it years ago.

Not all options are coded on a tag as the purpose of the tag is to be a durable rolling indestructible carrier of information on the body in white, drive train, paint and trim.

Generally, if something requires a hole punched in the body (the radio code indicates an antenna is needed. Punch a hole in the fender. Or if the remote mirror and tach option are ordered, the codes on the tag tell someone to punch a specific hole in the door or cowl as needed) the option is likely called out on the tag.

Each year and plant are different. What was done at 67 St.Louis was different than 68 Hamtramck which was different than 69 Lynch Road which was different than 71 Jefferson. One has to learn the nuances to fully understand tag coding.

'67 F/5 = sales code 365 = GTX 'package' if you will.

67_Code_365_800.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back