• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking opinions of the value of this 69 Road Runner.

70ChargerRT

Local time
3:36 AM
Reaction score
I’ve been talking to my good Mopar friend about buying a 70 Bee and out of the blue he offered me his 69 Road Runner for sale. I was kind of shocked because this thing is mint inside and out and really needs nothing but tires. He’s in his early 70s and told me hes going to retire and he can’t drive them all. So hes only keeping the GTX and selling the RR and his wife’s 67 Nova SS. I was kind of looking for something for my wife to attend the cruise ins with me and when I showed it to her she loved it. The only thing I personally don’t like about it is when he restored it he made a color change. The car is an original rally green, white interior and white vinyl top car which I would assume is rare, maybe not? Has the Original Fender Tag and I forgot to ask about a build sheet but will. He made the car triple black, put HD rear springs and a Dana 60 in it but he still has the original springs and 8 3/4 323 geared suregrip that goes with it. The car was solid when he restored it 26 years ago and retains all of the original sheet metal and matching motor and auto transmission. Every bezel, trim piece, inside and out has either been replaced with NOS or sent off and redone including a NOS woodgrain steering wheel. The engine bay and underneath of the car is absolutely amazing and spotless. I’ll have to ask him again but I don’t think the car even has a thousand miles on it since restoration but he starts it every once in a while. He keeps the car in a heat and air controlled environment with a dehumidifier. I’ll get some more pic’s today as I’m taking the wife to go show it to her. The car ain’t cheap but I don’t think it’s crazy stupid either. I know opinions may very but I want to hear what you guys think it’s worth by what I told you.

EBD833EE-BE11-4759-9038-03E0C856D641.jpeg

C07432A2-75BB-495E-81A4-9B639208011A.jpeg

3588ADBB-3BA0-46C5-955B-D52B1DB561E7.jpeg

Last edited:
This car has had a paint and interior color change & to me, that hurts the value. I personally like the original color scheme, but it's his car. Black looks nice, but good like keeping it clean & scratch free. For the last couple of years, top dollar for a typical properly restored, matching numbers, 383 Road Runner hs been in the 50-55K range. Scanning through carsonline, for comparison, I found a couple that look fairly good ...

There are several more priced in the upper 60's, but they have been for sale for a while.

On a side note, I was watching Mecum yesterday & it appears that musclecar prices are starting to soften, which is good news for buyers.

Nice RR, without seeing it in person I'd say for a 383 automatic car somewhere in the mid 40's depending on paint quality. I've been shopping around for awhile now for a clean 69 RR for a future purchase but for me it has to have a 4-speed which seems to add several grand.

This car has had a paint and interior color change & to me, that hurts the value. I personally like the original color scheme, but it's his car. Black looks nice, but good like keeping it clean & scratch free. For the last couple of years, top dollar for a typical properly restored, matching numbers, 383 Road Runner hs been in the 50-55K range. Scanning through carsonline, for comparison, I found a couple that look fairly good ...

[/URL]

[/URL]

There are several more priced in the upper 60's, but they have been for sale for a while.

On a side note, I was watching Mecum yesterday & it appears that musclecar prices are starting to soften, which is good news for buyers.
I just looked at both runners. Not very many pics of the top one but the bottom is questionable with some of the pics, no mention of drivetrain. I know there’s no perfect cars but a horrible attempt at the Organasol with notable fish eyes. I do agree on the color change and I believe the rally green with the white interior and top would be beautiful but the black car is an absolutely amazing car and detail is amazing. Looks like a concourse restoration inside and out.

CF2FFAAC-4902-4011-806B-8E0E35FB308B.png

D8624325-8ABC-4A5B-AA0B-627DA26B45AC.png

8EBE91C5-7A41-4059-B484-A71C7DE7D0C3.png

Nice RR, without seeing it in person I'd say for a 383 automatic car somewhere in the mid 40's depending on paint quality. I've been shopping around for awhile now for a clean 69 RR for a future purchase but for me it has to have a 4-speed which seems to add several grand.
The paint is amazing and the car looks like a concourse restoration. After I post this I’ve been looking at many roadrunners all morning and I haven’t hardly found any to the level of this car as far as attention to detail and some have been even priced higher and those cars in the 40,s and 50,s are not even close to it. From the engine bay to the underneath of it. There’s no pitting or hazing, scratches on any of the trim. Like I said. It’s all either NOS and stainless has been sent off to be professionally done. This car is on a different level to the most I’ve looked at this morning so far and my wife loves the black and the automatic is a plus for her but I do like the thought of her maybe entertaining the thought of putting it back to original one day if we buy it. Rally green with white accents I think would be beautiful. I will post more pics later today. Plus I could put the Dana in my Charger lol but I’m going to take everybody’s opinion of value serious when I go look at it in a bit.

I didn’t scrutinize those two examples that well, but without getting too nosey about his asking price, is 55K in the ballpark or too low?

Looks like he did a very nice restoration, and it would bring strong money if he listed it for sale online. While black is beautiful when freshly cleaned, I personally will never own another one. If you like it and can get it bought for mid 40's or less, you will come out ok if you ever decide to sell imo. To bad he didn't keep it the original color, but like stated above, it is his car. I have done the same, painting cars a color I like better than what it came with originally.

Not quite apples to apples comparison, but I bought a '69 GTX in 2022 which was in similar condition. A few differences - car was a broadcast sheet restoration done in original colors. Like the Road Runner in question, it was near concours condition, except for satin black undercarriage paint instead of factory paint treatment. Windshield and driver's side quarter glass replaced with non date coded pieces. I knocked off $3000 for those items. Also had to replace tires and incorrect wheels. Sold the wheels to another FBBO member so that was a near wash. Another factor was history - this was the first GTX I ever drove, back in 1970. On the paperwork side, it had every possible document, including the original dealer invoice, and shipping papers. Heavily optioned car, console automatic with A/C, only missing two factory options.

I paid a bit over the Hagerty book price at the time for excellent condtition. Some folks might say that was high, but a few FBBO members who have viewed the car say I stole it, based on condition. I got a nosebleed offer on the car while I was at Carlisle, and turned it down. There are few specimens of this level that come up outside the auction circuit.

You are right about those cars in the 40s and 50s. They are a solid tier lower than the one you are considering. The color change does muddy the water, though.

There is some value in buying a car from someone you know. He's owned the car quite sometime and he's not looking for the fast flip dollars. Assume you know this guy is a fellow car guy and not out to screw over a friend.

When price discussion comes up here the only advice I give is any B Body Mopar under 50 is far from perfect.

I too watched Mecum yesterday and agree prices are softened. Hip shot says overall 10% down for most muscle cars.

For a numbers matching RR the color change does not help. But, to me what off sets that minus is you know what is under that color change.
To me knowing a cars history adds weight when adding up plus and minus.
Also your not shipping a mabey good across the country.

But here's the deal, You have shown it to you wife as her new car, ( she loves it )
Stick a fork in you, grab your check book.

I don't actively participate in that era of car as it is too rich for my blood, but IMO if he is asking less than 50k his price is very good. You know the history of the car and have had a chance to really nuts and bolts inspect it. If he is asking less than 40k he is giving it away.
Don't take advantage of an amazing deal and hurt a friend's feelings by offering less if he is already in that ballpark. He may already have dropped some off his price for you for what he feels is fair.

As for the color change, triple black will draw more interest from younger buyers, and will likely offset the "loss of value" from not being stock, I wouldn't even worry about that. If the paint is really that good, get it detailed and put a coating on it, should help with upkeep.

Not an F6 fan on a RR, myself I don't think the colour change hurts it that much, automatic probably hurts it more. You know the car and I think that makes it okay to go higher than you would on an unknown car. It's hard to judge values these days, not sure I could stroke a check for more than $45k on a 383 anything though. Honestly RR's have always been abused more than most so finding a good one is not as easy as a person would think.
Looks like drum brakes and no A.G. but auto would work well for your wife for sure. I love 69 R.R.'s (so does everyone else) I'd have a hard time letting that one loose I think.

Maybe I missed it, but is this a bench column auto ? If so, plus the color change, my useless opinion is in the $40's. And, I'd swap the Dana out ( don't need it) for the 8 3/4 and sell that to offset some of the $$.

I didn’t scrutinize those two examples that well, but without getting too nosey about his asking price, is 55K in the ballpark or too low?
I know you didn’t. From the way he’s talking I think it’s going to take $60k to get it but I wouldn’t dare insult him with a lowball offer and lose his friendship. He has all receipts for everything except for some of the NOS parts he has bought but he still has the original packages and boxes they came in. This man didn’t throw anything away. The car was stripped down to bare metal and done right. Im flirting with the idea of giving it only because my wife likes it and I know the car personally just how good it is. I told my wife I was hoping to get it for $50-$55 but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. She knows how much it takes to build a car and she would rather just buy this one because we know the car and it’s super nice even though I personally think it’s a tad high with a color change but even if we have to give $60k I don’t think we’ll be hurting too bad with the prices of 69 runners I’m looking right now. I sure to hell couldn’t restore it for that with all of OEM and NOS parts on it. Lord knows the money I’ve flushed down the toilet over the years on cars. As soon as she gets back from church we’ll be heading down to his place to look at it.

Speaking from having owned seven second generation GTXs over five decades, I think you are better off to pay on the high side for a really good car. You find out what they're worth when you sell them. I haven't lost money by paying healthy prices for really good ones, and I've had no unwanted surprises with them. Hard to put a price on that.

Not quite apples to apples comparison, but I bought a '69 GTX in 2022 which was in similar condition. A few differences - car was a broadcast sheet restoration done in original colors. Like the Road Runner in question, it was near concours condition, except for satin black undercarriage paint instead of factory paint treatment. Windshield and driver's side quarter glass replaced with non date coded pieces. I knocked off $3000 for those items. Also had to replace tires and incorrect wheels. Sold the wheels to another FBBO member so that was a near wash. Another factor was history - this was the first GTX I ever drove, back in 1970. On the paperwork side, it had every possible document, including the original dealer invoice, and shipping papers. Heavily optioned car, console automatic with A/C, only missing two factory options.

I paid a bit over the Hagerty book price at the time for excellent condtition. Some folks might say that was high, but a few FBBO members who have viewed the car say I stole it, based on condition. I got a nosebleed offer on the car while I was at Carlisle, and turned it down. There are few specimens of this level that come up outside the auction circuit.

You are right about those cars in the 40s and 50s. They are a solid tier lower than the one you are considering. The color change does muddy the water, though.
I asked asked him if he’d get rid of his correct color B5 4-speed GTX and he reclined. It has the numbers matching motor but not the original 4 speed but it is a date corrected GTX 18 spline. That’s the one he wanted to keep. It’s absolutely beautiful. I took these pics probably 10 years ago.

41F7624A-573B-4E79-B1D9-44BC3C797F5D.jpeg

9A9A528A-6C10-4F0E-A64A-4FEE1EB34643.jpeg

GTX number three was a completely original, garaged, well maintained rust free one owner car, with the exception of a 1977 repaint in a GM color (previous owner wanted it to match his Chevy Pick Up.) That hurt a bit on resale, but I still sold it for what I paid for it, which at the time was fairly pricey. The upside was I had zero surprises with the car, didn't even have charge the factory A/C during the seven years I owned it. It's still running around the Detroit area today, with the same paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back