• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking opinions of the value of this 69 Road Runner.

Wow again a beauty. Can you hint at your offer? I’m thinking it’s the $55k….
He was wanting more than I first thought but yeah I made an offer of that. I told him I mean no disrespect of lowballing you and he said I wouldn’t care if you offered me $30k we’ll always be friends and that made me feel a lot better. I don’t think he’ll take it but I’ll see what he comes back with. He doesn’t need the money and this car is super nice plus the wife said it was beautiful and she would never paint it green lol

Yes but non power brakes and all 4 drums, no ac
I had a 1968 roadrunner drag car that ran 10.68 with manual four-wheel drums and never had any problems stopping it....could even make the first turn off without fade from 126 mph at the very old Houston International Speedway.

I'm an old guy and prefer cars with the correct with the correct color combination,, but I also have a few that have been changed.
When I buy an old classic car my first preference is the originality of the body, mechanically, and the history of where it came from. Original color does not influence me at all.
In the eighties I worked at a Hospital,,,(74-84)
I saw rich people that met their last days, and poor people as well, and but Not one of them was able to take their money with them, except by maybe writing themselves a check and putting it in the casket.
So, that being said, you are really only renting that roadrunner, until you pass and another guy gets to own it.
My older Brother could always have bought that 67 GTX he admired, but said they were to pricey.
Then, he was diagnosed with cancer at his retirement physical from the Maricopa county Sheriffs dept.
In Arizona.
He then went right out and bought the 67 GTX he wanted. It was crooked, and poorly restored in my opinion, and too high priced.
But, he thanked me for looking at it, and bought it anyway.so I flew to salt lake city, met him with his 07 ram and trailer, which used to be mine, and hauled it phoenix, as he didn't feel competent enough to drive it himself.
He loved that car, crooked as it was. And 2 years later he passed..

So, condition is everything, and money can be replaced. I read somewhere that about 50% of the 70 roadrunners sold were destroyed in the first six months of ownership. So there aren't many around that survived being trashed, or stolen.
I imagine the 68-69's suffered as well. I remember seeing them around all the time damaged due to accidents. Another common problem was the car would be for sale because the owner was drafted into the Military. So, it was a buyers market with them, and they would also frequently be found in fields on fire in order to allow the owner to collect the Insurance.
as a result, today nice intact cars are at a premium,,,, plus My Charger has manual drums and manual steering with no A/C. So I see it as the bare bones 68 roadrunner I always wanted but could not find.
Go for it I say,and Automatics are all good!

Last edited:
I'm an old guy and prefer cars with the correct with the correct color combination,, but I also have a few that have been changed.
When I buy an old classic car my first preference is the originality of the body, mechanically, and the history of where it came from. Original color does not influence me at all.
I saw rich people that met their last days, and poor people as well, and but Not one of them was able to take their money with them, except by maybe writing themselves a check and putting it in the casket.
So, that being said, you are really only renting that roadrunner, until you pass and another guy gets to own it.
My older Brother could always have bought that 67 GTX he admired, but said they were to pricey.
Then, he was diagnosed with cancer at his retirement physical from the Maricopa county Sheriffs dept.
In Arizona.
He then went right out and bought the 67 GTX he wanted. It was crooked, and poorly restored in my opinion, and too high priced.
But, he thanked me for looking at it, and bought it anyway.so I flew to salt lake city, met him with his 07 ram and trailer, which used to be mine, and hauled it phoenix, as he didn't feel competent enough to drive it himself.

So, condition is everything, and money can be replaced. I read somewhere that about 50% of the 70 roadrunners sold were destroyed in the first six months of ownership. So there aren't many around that survived being trashed, or stolen.
I imagine the 68-69's suffered as well. I remember seeing them around all the time damaged due to accidents. Another common problem was the car would be for sale because the owner was drafted into the Military. So, it was a buyers market with them, and they would also frequently be found in fields on fire in order to allow the owner to collect the Insurance.
as a result, today nice intact cars are at a premium,,,, plus My Charger has manual drums and manual steering with no A/C. So I see it as the bare bones 68 roadrunner I always wanted but could not find.
What you say is all correct and should be thought thru by all. You’ll not take anything w/you - Money or possessions. I sold my 48 yr love of my life to one of my closest friends for an absolute song because he’s a cancer survivor and his wife has progressive MS and I was no longer that active w/it so I wanted to pass it along. I just bought my wife a pretty expensive new ride - She’s a two time cancer sufferer and why would I ever want to regret not fulfilling a dream car of hers when I could accomplish that w/o going to the poor house? My mind has completely changed on many things like this as I age and serious health issues have affected both of us. Do it while you can and don‘t look back……… May God Bless us everyone!

In Arizona.

Thank you for sharing that - and your point about any of us being stewards of these cars is a most valid one.

How is it possible to put only 1000 miles on a car in 26 years?
Exactly lol. I don’t even think he has even put a 1000 miles on in it he said and it’s obvious with the condition of the car and tires. The GTX doesn’t even have 100 miles on it and the Nova about the same lol. He owns a drywalling business and stays covered 24-7 and plus he has other stuff going on and he’s just one of those guys that loves to tinker on them here and there trying to making them perfect because he has OCD bad. He bought the GTX in 91 and the Runner in 94 and completed the runner in 98.

Exactly lol. I don’t even think he has even put a 1000 miles on in it he said and it’s obvious with the condition of the car and tires. The GTX doesn’t even have 100 miles on it and the Nova about the same lol. He owns a drywalling business and stays covered 24-7 and plus he has other stuff going on and he’s just one of those guys that loves to tinker on them here and there trying to making them perfect because he has OCD bad. He bought the GTX in 91 and the Runner in 94 and completed the runner in 98.
My car has a nearly identical back story. OP won’t regret it if he takes the plunge.

That car sounds like a real good one to own, hope he accepts your offer.

Purchasing a car that nice is something that I have minimal experience with.
But knowing much of the car's history AND knowing/trusting the seller are (2) highly coveted ingredients present here.
I'm really hoping you score here for your wife :thumbsup:

"Color change" gets thrown around like it's some easy feat.
Unless someone has completely taken a car part and done it themselves, that's all just talk.
The work.
And a good black paint job is infamous.
So, show cars and keeping it for the next person aren't my thing anyway.
Unless it's family.
You got eyes on the car and know what to look for it seems.
What's the car worth to your wallet?
There are things intrinsic to you alone.
That's the only thing that counts.
So what if you pay 10K more than the other fellow would?
Will that take food off your table?

What you say is all correct and should be thought thru by all. You’ll not take anything w/you - Money or possessions. I sold my 48 yr love of my life to one of my closest friends for an absolute song because he’s a cancer survivor and his wife has progressive MS and I was no longer that active w/it so I wanted to pass it along. I just bought my wife a pretty expensive new ride - She’s a two time cancer sufferer and why would I ever want to regret not fulfilling a dream car of hers when I could accomplish that w/o going to the poor house? My mind has completely changed on many things like this as I age and serious health issues have affected both of us. Do it while you can and don‘t look back……… May God Bless us everyone!
Truer words couldn’t have been spoken. I do have OCD bad and my car is evident of that. It ain’t perfect but as perfect as I can get it. That why I drive my cars and enjoy them even though it could be a show winner it’s definitely not a trailer queen. My wife said you’ll probably be working all year and we wouldn’t get to enjoy it this year, her thinking i wouldn’t want her to drive the RR without me. I said no. We are trying to buy it for us to enjoy. If I’m working away you can drive it all you want. My boy has real nice 83 Monte SS so her and my boy can go cruising all they want. For the ones who don’t know my car here is a few pics of it and my boys 64k Mile original paint and interior 83 SS, we plan on putting the original rims on it. Video of my engine bay but I’ve since then reconfigured the AC and replaced most bolts with ARP 12 points.

B59F80A7-D634-4DB7-AEB6-AF8918F1D1D8.jpeg

71BEFAD5-C922-4BE5-8CC2-4ADAF65CC17D.jpeg

71BCAD46-0C5F-4A7A-9D5F-66380C0983F8.jpeg

DA65C3ED-90B5-49CC-9AA3-62B639884778.jpeg

"Color change" gets thrown around like it's some easy feat.
Unless someone has completely taken a car part and done it themselves, that's all just talk.
The work.
And a good black paint job is infamous.
So, show cars and keeping it for the next person aren't my thing anyway.
Unless it's family.
You got eyes on the car and know what to look for it seems.
What's the car worth to your wallet?
There are things intrinsic to you alone.
That's the only thing that counts.
So what if you pay 10K more than the other fellow would?
Will that take food off your table?
Good point

How is it possible to put only 1000 miles on a car in 26 years?
I didn't let my 70 Challenger sit that long but it probably got 1000 miles put on it in the last 10 years that I owned it and is one of the reasons I sold it. The 71 now was a different story. I drove that car a lot until it got too expensive to chance it being in a wreck....so it got sold off too and I've regret doing that ever since. On a more recent note, I bought a pretty nice 96 Dakota a little over 4 years ago and so far, it's averaging 1000 miles per year. My 97 diesel powered 2500 has gone a whopping 100 miles in the past year. :(

Truer words couldn’t have been spoken. I do have OCD bad and my car is evident of that. It ain’t perfect but as perfect as I can get it. That why I drive my cars and enjoy them even though it could be a show winner it’s definitely not a trailer queen. My wife said you’ll probably be working all year and we wouldn’t get to enjoy it this year, her thinking i wouldn’t want her to drive the RR without me. I said no. We are trying to buy it for us to enjoy. If I’m working away you can drive it all you want. My boy has real nice 83 Monte SS so her and my boy can go cruising all they want. For the ones who don’t know my car here is a few pics of it and my boys 64k Mile original paint and interior 83 SS, we plan on putting the original rims on it. Video of my engine bay but I’ve since then reconfigured the AC and replaced most bolts with ARP 12 points.

View attachment 1587074

View attachment 1587075

View attachment 1587076

View attachment 1587077

Nice cars!! And if I had the SS, it would be lowered a bit. Sits too high for my liking and would handle better too.

I'm late to the party, but here's my thoughts:

Hopefully your friend either comes back accepting your offer or comes back with a counter offer somewhat less than he originally wanted. In either case, I'd suggest accepting his offer.

Why? First, as many have said, this sounds like a car you can trust. Almost any other car is a buyer beware and often times hidden problems are later discovered. You can probably bet that with some fluid changes (especially brake and antifreeze in addition to the obvious) this car will be awesome and trouble free.

You are not doing this as an investment, but to enjoy and please the wife. If you have the means, buy it. Where else are you going to find another this nice (and for less)?

Auto Transport Service
Back