• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking opinions of the value of this 69 Road Runner.

I'm late to the party, but here's my thoughts:

Hopefully your friend either comes back accepting your offer or comes back with a counter offer somewhat less than he originally wanted. In either case, I'd suggest accepting his offer.

Why? First, as many have said, this sounds like a car you can trust. Almost any other car is a buyer beware and often times hidden problems are later discovered. You can probably bet that with some fluid changes (especially brake and antifreeze in addition to the obvious) this car will be awesome and trouble free.

You are not doing this as an investment, but to enjoy and please the wife. If you have the means, buy it. Where else are you going to find another this nice (and for less)?
I’m thinking the same thing.

I'm late to the party, but here's my thoughts:

Hopefully your friend either comes back accepting your offer or comes back with a counter offer somewhat less than he originally wanted. In either case, I'd suggest accepting his offer.

Why? First, as many have said, this sounds like a car you can trust. Almost any other car is a buyer beware and often times hidden problems are later discovered. You can probably bet that with some fluid changes (especially brake and antifreeze in addition to the obvious) this car will be awesome and trouble free.

You are not doing this as an investment, but to enjoy and please the wife. If you have the means, buy it. Where else are you going to find another this nice (and for less)?
I never bought any of my cars as an investment but it was always nice to be able to sell them for sometimes double what I paid for them! Also always bought them with the intention of driving them and did that and some were rode hard and put up wet....but something as nice as the car that the OP posted....not sure how I would react to it since it would be way tempting to drive it hard too.

I never bought any of my cars as an investment but it was always nice to be able to sell them for sometimes double what I paid for them! Also always bought them with the intention of driving them and did that and some were rode hard and put up wet....but something as nice as the car that the OP posted....not sure how I would react to it since it would be way tempting to drive it hard too.
I’ve never bought a car for an investment. It always ok to drive them hard, that’s what they are meant for. I just try to not put them up wet anymore lol.

My wife always wanted a Mercedes SLK. I absolutely hate Mercedes partly because of what they did gutting Chrysler at Chryslers peak. However We bought her one because she deserves what she always wanted I figure. We've lost easily half of it's value in 10 years but I don't care, I do want to sell it before it starts breaking down however. Anyway even if you were to pay a bit above market value for this Runner you still won't lose like we have and it doesn't matter anyway.

I've been working a deal for 2 1/2 months. Might still make it. Sometimes patience pays off.

My guess is he's thinking about how much you and your wife would love owning that car and maybe that's worth something. I think your offer shows your respect. Offer $30k and you'd still be friends, but you wouldn't be considered as a buyer.

How is it possible to put only 1000 miles on a car in 26 years?

By driving 38.461538461538 miles per year (I did the math).

You are not doing this as an investment, but to enjoy and please the wife.
I’ve never bought a car for an investment.

It is an investment - in life and happiness. Not all investments are based on the almighty dollar.

Truer words couldn’t have been spoken. I do have OCD bad and my car is evident of that. It ain’t perfect but as perfect as I can get it. That why I drive my cars and enjoy them even though it could be a show winner it’s definitely not a trailer queen. My wife said you’ll probably be working all year and we wouldn’t get to enjoy it this year, her thinking i wouldn’t want her to drive the RR without me. I said no. We are trying to buy it for us to enjoy. If I’m working away you can drive it all you want. My boy has real nice 83 Monte SS so her and my boy can go cruising all they want. For the ones who don’t know my car here is a few pics of it and my boys 64k Mile original paint and interior 83 SS, we plan on putting the original rims on it. Video of my engine bay but I’ve since then reconfigured the AC and replaced most bolts with ARP 12 points.

View attachment 1587074

View attachment 1587075

View attachment 1587076

View attachment 1587077!

Beautiful cars and I dig both the colors. But is that a speck of dirt I see right there by the.....never mind, it's on my computer screen.

@70ChargerRT I'm throwing in this pic taken between Christmas and New Year's just a week and a half ago. My wife has had a green 73 Mustang since before we met 38 years ago. It hasn't ran the last 20. Since I don't rebuild engines, and never got into the car, this was my solution. Yeah, it's 1 of 8.2 billion Mustangs built, but it's green and the top goes down. The smile on her face says it all. Now she's going out to the garage to admire it, and she's picking up the detail rags, and she's making plans to get it out and run it. Totally worth the $ spent. I'm looking forward to hearing that you're able to make the deal that works for you!

20231229_122755.jpg

On a related note, does anyone want, or know someone who wants a Mustang project?

Last edited:
Truer words couldn’t have been spoken. I do have OCD bad and my car is evident of that. It ain’t perfect but as perfect as I can get it. That why I drive my cars and enjoy them even though it could be a show winner it’s definitely not a trailer queen. My wife said you’ll probably be working all year and we wouldn’t get to enjoy it this year, her thinking i wouldn’t want her to drive the RR without me. I said no. We are trying to buy it for us to enjoy. If I’m working away you can drive it all you want. My boy has real nice 83 Monte SS so her and my boy can go cruising all they want. For the ones who don’t know my car here is a few pics of it and my boys 64k Mile original paint and interior 83 SS, we plan on putting the original rims on it. Video of my engine bay but I’ve since then reconfigured the AC and replaced most bolts with ARP 12 points.

View attachment 1587074

View attachment 1587075

View attachment 1587076

View attachment 1587077

That is one beautiful Charger my friend. These night shots are killer…

If I may offer a suggestion, based on personal experience. What if you told him you would just match his best offer ? In that scenario, both parties are comfortable in knowing neither is getting taken advantage of.

How is it possible to put only 1000 miles on a car in 26 years?
You know me or at least of me and my X from Mpls. Well when I left Mpls to take several corporate moves, including to where I reside now. I kept the X in a pole barn at some guys farm one my brothers knows out by Stillwater. That bad boy stayed stored in there for about 30 yrs until I pulled it to completely restore about 10 or so yrs ago and then brought it out here to SoCA. During that time it had zero miles put on it. When I sold to my buddy the ODO read 58k. I had only put 2k at the most on it before I sold it to him. A lot more goes into that story but that’s the gist of it - So as you see anything is possible.

Last edited:
If I may offer a suggestion, based on personal experience. What if you told him you would just match his best offer ? In that scenario, both parties are comfortable in knowing neither is getting taken advantage of.
I'm just spitballing here, but it seems this would require the seller to solicit legitimate bids that he had no intention of following through on. Not really fair to someone who's licking the paint (used car salesman's term for drooling on the car) and/or offering full price.

I like this approach, did the same when I bought the current car. I ended up buying the car for what I had offered the seller three years earlier when I last tried to buy it. Wife and I had discussed the number for years. When I inspected the car, I came in a bit lower, as I now had the market risk of liquidating the car I owned at the time to make room. I was willing to take some risk at the price I offered, and wasn't surprised that the seller didn't want to go that low. A month later I sold the current car to another FBBO member, freeing up the garage space. Called the seller, and his "best offer" closed the deal. A matter of semantics here, as I was the only prospective buyer at that point, kind of like the OP's situation. We ended up exactly in the middle of both of our starting numbers.

Last edited:
My wife always wanted a Mercedes SLK. I absolutely hate Mercedes partly because of what they did gutting Chrysler at Chryslers peak. However We bought her one because she deserves what she always wanted I figure. We've lost easily half of it's value in 10 years but I don't care, I do want to sell it before it starts breaking down however. Anyway even if you were to pay a bit above market value for this Runner you still won't lose like we have and it doesn't matter anyway.
I did the exact same thing for my wife. She had 180k on her 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. She always buys base vehicles and she keeps them forever. I told her to start car shopping so she said I really like those Mercedes SUV,s. I told her to pick one out and get it. I tried to talk her in to a 450 but she wanted something smaller and said those are just too expensive lol. She liked the GLC 300. She really liked the one with AMG package, fancy grill, panoramic sun roof, special lighting package, 20” rims and so forth but she said it was too high with the extras and she would just buy the base model lol. I called the salesman and we struck a deal and I got her the one with the AMG package so she was tickled to death.

E63149D8-1D08-4560-8E93-C2204A5C3CC7.jpeg

I did the exact same thing for my wife. She had 180k on her 2015 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo. She always buys base vehicles and she keeps them forever. I told her to start car shopping so she said I really like those Mercedes SUV,s. I told her to pick one out and get it. I tried to talk her in to a 450 but she wanted something smaller and said those are just too expensive lol. She liked the GLC 300. She really liked the one with AMG package, fancy grill, panoramic sun roof, special lighting package, 20” rims and so forth but she said it was too high with the extras and she would just buy the base model lol. I called the salesman and we struck a deal and I got her the one with the AMG package so she was tickled to death.

View attachment 1587097
I kind of did the same for my wife a couple of weeks ago. Only for her it was a complete surprise. I bought her the BMW X6 Connect40i M Sport pkg. Everything you could get on it. I’ve always bought Japanese cars for the unparalleled reliability factor and eschewed the German machines as not to be trusted. This time I said screw it - I knew this is what she dreamed of so I pulled the trigger.
IMG_1533.jpeg

I've been working a deal for 2 1/2 months. Might still make it. Sometimes patience pays off.

My guess is he's thinking about how much you and your wife would love owning that car and maybe that's worth something. I think your offer shows your respect. Offer $30k and you'd still be friends, but you wouldn't be considered as a buyer.

By driving 38.461538461538 miles per year (I did the math).

It is an investment - in life and happiness. Not all investments are based on the almighty dollar.

Beautiful cars and I dig both the colors. But is that a speck of dirt I see right there by the.....never mind, it's on my computer screen.

@70ChargerRT I'm throwing in this pic taken between Christmas and New Year's just a week and a half ago. My wife has had a green 73 Mustang since before we met 38 years ago. It hasn't ran the last 20. Since I don't rebuild engines, and never got into the car, this was my solution. Yeah, it's 1 of 8.2 billion Mustangs built, but it's green and the top goes down. The smile on her face says it all. Now she's going out to the garage to admire it, and she's picking up the detail rags, and she's making plans to get it out and run it. Totally worth the $ spent. I'm looking forward to hearing that you're able to make the deal that works for you!

View attachment 1587089

On a related note, does anyone want, or know someone who wants a Mustang project?
Thanks! That’s a good looking Mustang and she should be proud of it. My brother use to be a big time Mustang guy and over the years he’s gotten away from them. He had an awesome 69 R Code in Gulfstream Aqua and sold it and then he bought a 67 c-code fastback off of me that I had picked up on the cheap because I knew they were getting hot and then he restored it to his liking. I wasn’t crazy about the red but he fixed it up and sold it to fund another project. Maybe in a few days he’ll call me.

2CBAAC32-611A-44FA-99AA-DC863B96E450.jpeg

350F3639-12A1-4A00-BB34-D4CC7C4A6013.jpeg

I kind of did the same for my wife a couple of weeks ago. Only for her it was a complete surprise. I bought her the BMW X6 Connect40i M Sport pkg. Everything you could get on it. I’ve always bought Japanese cars for the unparalleled reliability factor and eschewed the German machines as not to be trusted. This time I said screw it - I knew this is what she dreamed of so I pulled the trigger. View attachment 1587102
That’s super nice. My uncle bought my aunt a x-7 I think a year go and it’s bad *** and fast AF.

455BEA84-E36B-4006-8426-529AB4447379.jpeg

C4EFD636-079B-4542-8FF5-5D3C1D9F7BDA.jpeg

I'm just spitballing here, but it seems this would require the seller to solicit legitimate bids that he had no intention of following through on. Not really fair to someone who's licking the paint (used car salesman's term for drooling on the car) and/or offering full price.
Of course, and your key words is "legitimate bids". No intention ? Not necessarily. The seller can sell to the other bidder if the "friend" fails to match/better that offer, or if the seller accepts his friends discounted offer. Hey, if the buyer wants to pony up a gazillion dollars, so be it. I've been on both ends of my scenario, and both parties come to an equitable conclusion.

Of course, and your key words is "legitimate bids". No intention ? Not necessarily. The seller can sell to the other bidder if the "friend" fails to match/better that offer, or if the seller accepts his friends discounted offer. Hey, if the buyer wants to pony up a gazillion dollars, so be it. I've been on both ends of my scenario, and both parties come to an equitable conclusion.
You're right and that could be a way for the seller to get a better price, but not necessarily the best tactic for the OP to get his best deal. His best chance is likely to get the handshake before it goes public.

You're right and that could be a way for the seller to get a better price, but not necessarily the best tactic for the OP to get his best deal. His best chance is likely to get the handshake before it goes public.
Yeah, it can go either way. The seller realizes his asking $$ is way too much, OR the buyer has to pony up more $$.

matching numbers, 383 Road Runner hs been in the 50-55K range. Scanning through carsonline, for comparison, I found a couple that look fairly good ...

On a side note, I was watching Mecum yesterday & it appears that musclecar prices are starting to soften, which is good news for buyers.
:thumbsup: in the photos shown it's a nice car
(color change can hurt it in resale AS MUCH AS 20%, ask almost any MoPar person)
for a 'decore interior' std 11"x3" manual drums 383 4bbl 335hp/727tf column shift,
$55k-maybe $60k is really good money for the seller (some areas, that's all the $$$ too)
if it was as the fender-tag/VIN states, near perfect, professional looking job

don't get me wrong
I'm a Day 2 guy all the way now, if the color is good
& presents itself well, not a cheap job
I don't think it deters me or would lessen the value much...

& Mecum, the better higher-end cars in Kissimmee
Auction 4,000+ cars
"allegedly" are from Wed. to Sat. later this week,
as to your statement about soft prices
the 1st & 2nd day (last Fri. Sat.) was some decent buys, some bargains
not, the way overpriced, pie in the sky higher prices too

IMO auctions aren't the best, to base prices off/from either
maybe on the higher-end prices, than resale on the open market
with captured audiences there to buy & approved credit

there's lots of cars, asking prices
on the open market are higher than they should be,
why they haven't sold too