• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATF WTF

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
Well as the rest of my tranny is draining after removing (slowly removing) the pan the whole freaken house smells of ATF. My great wife hasn't said a word bless her heart. Anyway I have a good mess I am cleaning up as I get ready to install a nice aluminum pan that has machined flat lip. Did I say flat lip? Yes those old stamped pans are for the birds.

Question my work coveralls have ATF on it. Anyone know what to warsh (hahaha) it in? I find that stuff wreaks even after I wash I mean warsh it.... No I don't have a mullet but if I had hair I would go for it!

MF

Honestly, I've had pretty good luck just washing ATF off with an extra dose of laundry detergent & washing my coveralls all by themselves. It is an oil, so things like mineral spirits will dissolve it, but that often stinks worse than ATF.

Soak the coveralls in a bucket with Dawn dishwashing liquid. Agitate them real good to suds up the Dawn and soak the entire garment. After 24 hours, take to a laundromat and wash, adding a little more Dawn. Rinse twice and you should be good. Let line dry if possible. The dryer with increase the smell tenfold. Whatever you do, DON'T wash and dry them in your wife's washer and dryer.
Ask me how I know. :lol:

Fire might solve the problem but then I would have one more lol

I also soak mine in dawn and hot water if there very greasy. From there into the machine using the Hot water setting. I use Tide and at times and a little Dawn. I try and wash other stuff like towels afterwards before I let my wife wash her stuff

I go to Home Depot and buy Lestoil. My Wife pours it directly on the spots
and lets it soak for a couple of hours before washing. Then she hangs them
up to air dry. If she puts them in the dryer, then I get blamed for putting
on some pounds! Ha!

I have never been able to get the smell of ATF out of clothes. I am serious...I just throw them out.

I have never been able to get the smell of ATF out of clothes. I am serious...I just throw them out.
I just told you how to get it out. The secret is to NOT dry the clothes in a dryer. The heat activates the petroleum and then you're screwed.

I go to Home Depot and buy Lestoil. My Wife pours it directly on the spots
and lets it soak for a couple of hours before washing. Then she hangs them
up to air dry. If she puts them in the dryer, then I get blamed for putting
on some pounds! Ha!
Lestoil smells as bad as aft. Dawn and laundromat but be nice run the machine empty with detergent after your done.

I just told you how to get it out. The secret is to NOT dry the clothes in a dryer. The heat activates the petroleum and then you're screwed.
If the cleaning process removed the petroleum, you could heat it with a torch and it would not be a problem. I have tried Dawn. I have tried Dawn and bleach. I have had **** luck with both!

If the cleaning process removed the petroleum, you could heat it with a torch and it would not be a problem. I have tried Dawn. I have tried Dawn and bleach. I have had **** luck with both!
Dawn breaks down the petroleum, but it doesn't remove it entirely, that's why you should never dry it. I add a little Dawn to every load and over time the smell will dissipate. Or throw them away and buy new. My coveralls are too expensive to throw them away every time I soil them with a petroleum based product.

We're mechanic's, just wear the smell out of them lol... that's what I do.

I misunderstood your response to mean that Dawn cleans the smell out entirely.

Dawn breaks down the petroleum, but it doesn't remove it entirely, that's why you should never dry it. I add a little Dawn to every load and over time the smell will dissipate. Or throw them away and buy new. My coveralls are too expensive to throw them away every time I soil them with a petroleum based product.

Usually it is towels that I contaminate with the ATF. Sometimes I have gotten some on a shirt or pants. I have made the mistake of washing those with other clothes...Damn, that sucks!

Dump 1 or 1-1/2 cups of baking soda in the wash water with the soap and spin the agitator a few times to mix it, before adding your clothes in.

I’ve had good luck with TSP, or trisodium phosphate. You can buy it cheap at any good hardware or paint store. It is the active ingredient in most of the old school laundry detergent, only pure. I put a bunch of it in an empty five gallon pail, pour in hot water, and soak my coveralls overnight. Then wash normally. This also makes your coveralls softer, without wrecking them like bleach.
This stuff is considered toxic, wear gloves.

the real trick is not to get it everywhere in the first place LOL. I use a short storage tub from Wally world underneath the trans when removing the pan , then I buy a new pan with a drain plug. as for the coveralls , thats just an excuse to buy a brand new set .

I have a Hotsy style pressure washer and I usually power wash them with purple power soap

I’ve had good luck with TSP, or trisodium phosphate.

I thought TSP was fake now, meaning it's a substitute for the original, very harsh cleaning chemical. Although, I agree, the stuff is still quite potent. A solution of it is what we use to clean out new boiler feed lines before initial start up to get the residue of flux and grease out, so it has to be strong.

Auto Transport Service
Back