• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attaching k-member and trans to engine

dodge68charger

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
Im going to be installing my engine from underneath my 68 B-body. Just wondering how you guys attatched your k- frame and transmission to the engine and mounted it underneath the car ready to install. Are the 4 carb bolt holes strong enough to hold the engine/trans/k-frame while setting it on the dolly. Thanks

I made a cart that holds the complete engine and tranny and I assemble as much as possible before installation. This includes the steering and suspension, brakes, headers, wires, etc.. To install I use a body hoist system that I built and raise the front of the car to about eye level and roll the engine and tranny under then lower the body. You can even leave the hood on! Once the body is back on the front casters I lift the engine into position with the crane using a chain connected to the 3/8 bolts in the heads. I have pictures posted on here somewhere.

I sat the motor and transmission on 2 pallets (the top one has a cut out for the oil pan). The car is on the lift and I plan on using the pallet jack to position under the car.

Attachments

• DSC00906.jpg
    DSC00906.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 456
  • DSC00909.jpg
    DSC00909.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 424
How I did it

Below ow are the pictures of Ho I just completed mine. They are not in order but you get the idea. I place my k member on a padded furniture dolly and slid under the car. I then picked up the engine off the stand and lowered it through the engine bay. I then attached the k member and picked the entire assembly up and bolted the k member in place. I then used a jack to install the trans. All went well. Is you use the 4 carb studs, was here'd and torqued they will hold the weight. Good luck

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Is you use the 4 carb studs, was here'd and torqued they will hold the weight. Good luck

That is going to be one sharp looking car you have there. I think the op was asking if he could lift the motor, tranny, and k-frame as one unit with the 4 carb bolts. It might hold, but I know that I wouldn't try it - especially if he has an aluminum intake.

Assuming the bolts are 1/4" , he is using 4 bolts and the bolts are roughly 50,000 psi tensile, they should hold roughly 9800 lbs weight. Go grade 8 bolts and you are significantly higher. An aluminum intake would be you weak point, but still plenty strong.

That is going to be one sharp looking car you have there. I think the op was asking if he could lift the motor, tranny, and k-frame as one unit with the 4 carb bolts. It might hold, but I know that I wouldn't try it - especially if he has an aluminum intake.

carb plates have have been around for years and are a reliable method of hoisting the engine and trans. Granted the K member adds addition weight, reality is if done correctly, studs or bolts are measured for correct length and are fully engaged in the intake thread holes, tightened properly they will hold.

carb plates have have been around for years and are a reliable method of hoisting the engine and trans. Granted the K member adds addition weight, reality is if done correctly, studs or bolts are measured for correct length and are fully engaged in the intake thread holes, tightened properly they will hold.
I know you are correct, but it just makes me nervous with all that weight swinging on four 1/4" bolts.

id be concerned with what those bolts are threaded into. id not be comfortable threading into aluminum 1/4 20 to hold all that weight especially the engine plus trans plus complete k frame,in fact id not even use it if it was the cast iron manifold. Why chance it. Cast anything be it ferrous or non ferrous can crack.

Im going to be installing my engine from underneath my 68 B-body. Just wondering how you guys attatched your k- frame and transmission to the engine and mounted it underneath the car ready to install. Are the 4 carb bolt holes strong enough to hold the engine/trans/k-frame while setting it on the dolly. Thanks

FWIW: At around 1:00 it shows a cart being used, I would find another way to lift the entire assembly instead of the carb bolts. Lifting the car is the way to do it, especially if you have headers.

[video=vimeo;97706448]http://vimeo.com/97706448[/video]

I set the engine on the K-frame then attached the transmission…

4FAD2632-F0A9-4105-8395-2CB651401327.jpeg

The cart I used for the install was a modified furniture dolly.
133E59B3-D8A8-4C45-8E75-A742F65B0F0D.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back