• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

auction, or sell out right?

Lee hope

Local time
5:24 PM
Reaction score
Been thinking about selling my 68 Charger R\T. Was thinking about trading it for something different but had 3 stents placed in my heart in March and for some reason my health hasn't left me even wanting to wipe it down let alone deal with driving it.

Reason for asking about auction, verses sell out right is my car does not photograph well lol. And the changes made to it might not help in selling it over the net. But in person it is totally different perspective.
Auction there are aspects that draw back, the travel isn't really a option for me (cant drive or be in a car for more than an hour without feeling really bad). Cost of shipping it to a auction and not being there to represent it really hampers it also. But it's the only way to put it in front of people so to speak.

Down fall selling on FB or different sites is the pictures, the million questions from some people that have no intention of following thru, and the purest cussing me for it not being factory stock.

Car has had color change from green to white,
transmission swap from auto console to 4 sp no console.
Numbers Eng.
wrong exhaust
intake
carb
disc brakes from drums on front
QA1 upper arms, thrust rods, shocks all 4, tie-rods. (still have all the stock suspension parts.)

So would you pay somebody to take it to auction?
Or offer it for sell on line and make people come see it, which is kinda unrealistic is these days isn't it? will throw a couple pics in but swear it does the car no justice.

20221005_164738.jpg

20221005_164811.jpg

Good looking car. Someone wants that car today.

Sell it yourself. Not a difficult car to sell these days. eBay gets lots of looks. Put a buy it now price on it with the best offer option.

In the area where you live there is a huge population of potential buyers.

paying someone to auction p, and th auction fees it will just eat up your money.

Car looks fine, if your going to sell rent a bay in your local garage for an hour to take lots of pictures of underside. Then take pictured of outside and interior. You can sell your car on Hemming ONLINE Auctions or BAT which means Bring a Trailer. By taking all those pictures hopefully will reduce questions. Your description above is a good start, probably need more. Don't mention why your your selling buyer don't need that. Set a reserve price high enough so if it sells can live with it. If it doesn't come close to your reserve price maybe to high? If a bidder is close to your reserve and auction ends you could have auction company contact high bidder to see if bidder would split the difference between his bid and your reserve.

BAT you send it the photos of your car and wait for them to decide when your car gets listed. could be a 6 month wait. Which is bad. They write up the text for your car which is good.

I have bought a few cars that are not local on Craigslist and one on Ebay. I use autotempest to search multiple platforms (including Craigslist and Ebay) as far out as I might want to travel. So you do have the opportunity to attract a buyer that will travel to you. In this case, expect a lot of questions and be prepared to provide pics. It's all about representing your car properly so a potential buyer gets the confidence level required to travel, and no surprises when he/she sees the car. Your car is an excellent candidate for such a sale. Heck, I'd be interested at the right price. Road trip!

BAT you send it the photos of your car and wait for them to decide when your car gets listed. could be a 6 month wait. Which is bad. They write up the text for your car which is good.
You can also pay them a fee to have a pro photo your car if yours is accepted.

If you're in VA why not bring it to Carlisle and sell it there? It's only a month away. You'd sell that car no problem.

Good to know, 6 months that is poor business. Thanks

You have made good points in your post. I have sold both ways. My former A33, numbers matching '69 GTX, which I sold two years ago, illustrates the pros and cons of different approaches. I put the car on the for sale site here twice, and generated a lot of interest. I priced it what I thought was a reasonable number based on condition, history, and correctness. Drew lots of folks who were trying to low ball me on the initial contact. Like your Charger, my car was IMO more impressive in person, than in pictures, which didn't highlight the fact it was restored with many NOS parts.

I had consigned the car to Mecum in 2020, but the auction was cancelled because of Covid. I ended up selling the car through Cars On Line to the first person who called. I dropped my ask by 10%, and the buyer did a personal inspection, than showed up with funds and a trailer a week later. However - he then consigned the car to auction, where it hammered for $8000 more than I sold it for. The buyer had to pay transport, entry fee, commission. So in the end he made a few bucks, but had to invest a good bit, plus the risk of a lower bid. And to further muddy the debate, the car recently hammered at $81,000 at auction this spring, no way I ever would have captured that in a private sale.

I had less than great experience at Carlisle. A lot of dealers cruising for steals, not a lot of serious private cash buyers. I took the numbers matching GTX shown below to the covered corral two years ago, and the best offer I got was $20,000, about half what I sold it for privately six months later, on a face to face deal at a local show.
IMG_0086.JPG

Decide what you want for it and list it here in the for sale section.
... before this thread ends up locked. Car will sell by weeks end and nothing lost on your end for transport and sellers fees. Can't see a '68 not selling PDQ.

Hell,post it up on here. I sold mine just because a member saw it in a photo that I had posted.
I had no intention of selling but he made a offer and that was that.

Pm me some info and better pics. Including price u have in mind

A friend of mine locally is looking for a car.
But the fact he bought a 68 charger RT brand new. He may bite.

I would list it here as well. A serious buyer will put in the effort to call you and discuss the car, A photo collector will not waste the time to call you.
If that doesn't work spend a couple of hundred dollars for a pro photographer to take about 50 photos including the underside (rent a lift to take these as suggested above) then list it on Ebay, communicate your phone # to interested Ebay buyers. I am not a fan of E-bay but it really gets the car out there. Hemmings seems to come up on searches as well as Cars-Online too.
Personally I don't like the mods but I think I'm in the minority these days so don't sweat it. In your condition I don't think you're going to want to take it to Carlisle and hang around for a couple of days talking to mostly posers, you're better off investing in proper photographs, listing on line and talking on the phone rather than typing endless text. JMO.

Decide what you want for it and list it here in the for sale section.
... before this thread ends up locked. Car will sell by weeks end and nothing lost on your end for transport and sellers fees. Can't see a '68 not selling PDQ.
100% agree with Wayne. I'd list it here...

I would list it here as well. A serious buyer will put in the effort to call you and discuss the car, A photo collector will not waste the time to call you.
If that doesn't work spend a couple of hundred dollars for a pro photographer to take about 50 photos including the underside (rent a lift to take these as suggested above) then list it on Ebay, communicate your phone # to interested Ebay buyers. I am not a fan of E-bay but it really gets the car out there. Hemmings seems to come up on searches as well as Cars-Online too.
Personally I don't like the mods but I think I'm in the minority these days so don't sweat it. In your condition I don't think you're going to want to take it to Carlisle and hang around for a couple of days talking to mostly posers, you're better off investing in proper photographs, listing on line and talking on the phone rather than typing endless text. JMO.
The part about going and hanging out at Carlisle is very accurate lol. Think I'm Going to give the professional photographer thing a try, then at least I'll have some good photos for my-self loathing after it's gone.

Can B-bodies do an auction? If nothing else would be interesting. And you can be better assured of a respectful buyer. Sometimes that's as important as price.

I understand the site is not designed for that specifically. And it would be a somewhat closed auction. But I think there is opportunity not only for car owner. But site management to expand? Advertize sale online to join B-bodied to bid?

Just thinking out loud. Once again. Lol.

Your car looks fine. Stuff you've changed makes it a nice driver, plus you have all the stock stuff that matters. Sell it here, or try Carlisle maybe - the venue is well run, well kept. Just keep in mind 68BabyBlue's comments. Maybe a local sale will bring the price you want, could be easiest still.

Lee, that is a very pretty ride ! I think you should take more pics and sell it yourself. Carlisle would be a great venue...lots of folks will see it ! Best of luck !

The part about going and hanging out at Carlisle is very accurate lol. Think I'm Going to give the professional photographer thing a try, then at least I'll have some good photos for my-self loathing after it's gone.
There is no doubt in my mind. And I believe most here at B-bodies would agree, that buying is alot more fun than selling. Buyers remorse is usually less severe than a seller's mourning.

Auto Transport Service
Back