• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should you save old parts or sell them?

Myasylum

Local time
4:46 AM
Reaction score
I have converted my Auto on the floor to a 5 speed, I have added a new Autometer dash cluster and other odds and ends. Is it good to save these old stock parts, or to sell them, and try to recoup some of the money from the new parts? Maybe keeping the old parts might be useful if I ever sold the car? It's a Satellite not a Roadrunner so I'm not sure if it would matter to someone or not?

Opinions?

That is your decision to make but I'll tell you what I do.
If the parts are hard to find and one year only, I tend to hang onto them. I even keep some mundane stock/non performance stuff just in case something I have breaks, I could patch the car together so it is still drivable.
I often sell off all slant six and 318 parts, small torsion bars and sway bars, 14" wheels and such because I am quite confident that I'd never revert to that stuff. I'd keep gauge clusters and other stuff that isn't reproduced.

Lots of factors. Year, make, engine? Also what other modifications already made? Are there enough modifications that it cannot go back stock.
True a Satellite is worth less than a RR, or a GTX, but have you enhanced the value of your car? Personally I don't throw much away, or sell things. Things I throw away have no value to anyone and parts that I sell are for vehicles that I no longer have interest in. The biggest question is will they have value to a future owner.

I am the same way. I can't tell you how many cast iron 2 and 4 bbl intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, drum brakes and spindles, 14" wheels etc. I have just scrapped over the years knowing that I would never use them.

In the end it is your decision, when I was younger, every time I sold a part, I would end up needing it within 6 months and then have to turn around and go buy it, and usually cost me more than what I sold mine for! :rolleyes:

I recently sold off about 4 grand of parts that I was hanging on to.
The realization that I will never use them again.
I will say I bought some of the same parts again for double the cost.
So it's up to you.Ask yourself Will I need them ?

The only regret is having sold all the stuff I took off the car back when it was 5 years old - it would have had some good value today. BUT these days, anything I don't need or foresee a need for I convert to cash. As the saying goes, " a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush"

I am the same way. I can't tell you how many cast iron 2 and 4 bbl intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, drum brakes and spindles, 14" wheels etc. I have just scrapped over the years knowing that I would never use them.

I know... Tell me about it! I thew away cast 400 heads because no one wanted those smog things, also threw away 8 1/4 rear end. It was heart wrenching! I'm now sitting on a Cast 4-barrel intake. I'll probably end up throwing that away too. Painful, but I don't have the space and no one wants them.

If you like your car as-is........sell the parts. They take up room, and your heirs will throw them into a dumpster.

In my case perspectives have changed due to getting old-older. The “I could make use of this someday” days are mostly behind. Have ample space to stow stuff I didn’t have when young and more cash where today selling it doesn’t mean much including the extra hassle trying to sell. I also get tired of looking at all the chit I realize would be around when I’m not. With some of the exceptions as others posted, I make more trips to the scrap yard with stuff more than trying to sell anymore.

Sometimes I do hold onto some mundane stuff.
What is really annoying is finding yourself in a position to BUY something that you now need that you once had but sold or threw away.
I have the space to be a hoarder but I try to temper than with practicality.
I do love it when I get a call from someone for some part that isn't commonly found in junkyards anymore. Last week a guy asked if I had exhaust manifolds for a late 70s truck with a 360.
Yes, yes I do...come on over. I often accept Tacos in trade for the parts!
I've given away slant six stuff from cars I've parted out. I've given away parts I've collected from guys that clear out their garages and didn't want to dump stuff that might have value to someone. Sometimes it is as mundane as front drum brakes, hubcaps and wheel covers, body trim that needs refinishing, stuff like that. I still have a small stash of 64-66 A body stuff that I'll never need and would like to see go to someone that needs brackets, knobs, wiring and other 64-66 A body specific stuff.
THIS IS NOT A SALES OR FREE THREAD so I'm not offering this to anyone here on this thread.
I am not trying to lure Toolman into another "delete thread" action. I was just stating that some stuff gets held in place until someone mentions that they need it. I almost get a bigger kick out of giving away mundane stuff than selling things for market value.

Sometimes I do hold onto some mundane stuff.
What is really annoying is finding yourself in a position to BUY something that you now need that you once had but sold or threw away.
I have the space to be a hoarder but I try to temper than with practicality.
I do love it when I get a call from someone for some part that isn't commonly found in junkyards anymore. Last week a guy asked if I had exhaust manifolds for a late 70s truck with a 360.
Yes, yes I do...come on over. I often accept Tacos in trade for the parts!
I've given away slant six stuff from cars I've parted out. I've given away parts I've collected from guys that clear out their garages and didn't want to dump stuff that might have value to someone. Sometimes it is as mundane as front drum brakes, hubcaps and wheel covers, body trim that needs refinishing, stuff like that. I still have a small stash of 64-66 A body stuff that I'll never need and would like to see go to someone that needs brackets, knobs, wiring and other 64-66 A body specific stuff.
THIS IS NOT A SALES OR FREE THREAD so I'm not offering this to anyone here on this thread.
I am not trying to lure Toolman into another "delete thread" action. I was just stating that some stuff gets held in place until someone mentions that they need it. I almost get a bigger kick out of giving away mundane stuff than selling things for market value.
As soon as someone looks over your list and asks a price or a shipping estimate this thread will get taken down.

get a bigger kick out of giving away mundane stuff than selling things for market value
Yeah, it pains me sometimes hauling stuff to the scrap yard knowing some one is out there somewhere that could use them, maybe having limited cash where getting this stuff cheap or free would make their day. Just sent an ancient mopar part to a guy overseas for the cost of mailing it. Still kind of a PIA getting it boxed so it doesn’t get damaged, fill out the paperwork for international shipping, drive to the PO (16-mile trip for me) etc. Nice when someone is near enough to pick it up or meet halfway as has happened a couple times.

and try to recoup some of the money from the new parts? Maybe keeping the old parts might be useful if I ever sold the car? It's a Satellite not a Roadrunner so I'm not sure if it would matter to someone or not?

IMO sell them to recoup cash. I've had the thought that I'd save the parts for the next guy but in reality it won't/shouldn't deter someone from buying your car anyway (or make it less appealing). Its not like people have allot of choices out there. It's a bonus for the buyer to get extra free parts buy costly for the seller.

I've been throwing parts away for a couple years. If a friend comes over and can use it....it escapes the trash can. I have to bust-up lots of things to fit in the big/rolling cans, and my bubby scraps the metal.

As soon as someone looks over your list and asks a price or a shipping estimate this thread will get taken down.

To that, I suggest that they send me a PM directly.

Yeah, it pains me sometimes hauling stuff to the scrap yard knowing some one is out there somewhere that could use them, maybe having limited cash where getting this stuff cheap or free would make their day. Just sent an ancient mopar part to a guy overseas for the cost of mailing it. Still kind of a PIA getting it boxed so it doesn’t get damaged, fill out the paperwork for international shipping, drive to the PO (16-mile trip for me) etc. Nice when someone is near enough to pick it up or meet halfway as has happened a couple times.

There have been times where the shipping takes a bit of the fun out of it. I try to look at it as buying good karma in that, whatever good deed gets done may balance out some offenses I've surely committed.

Shipping has killed my desire to sell online. Nobody wants to pay for it, and trying to make packages moron-proof, can be mentally tiresome. I did well at the NATS, and would attend again. One more big trailer of stuff, and most everything else could go to the scrappers. I'm thinking of having a big mopar garage-sale.

Think this is an interesting discussion hearing about what members suggest or think here. You have a lot of new members who might not know all the rules yet. Some new-be might get real excited about a part they need badly being mentioned and not be aware.

Could this reminder work? If anyone may have interest in any parts being mentioned, do NOT ask here, send them a PM?

Auto Transport Service
Back