• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Axle leaking

OK, drove the car for 24 Miles, stopped at home, looked underneath found LH side no leaks, but RH side leaking.

It was the left side leaking at first??

Just putting this out there, but seems as thought you housing ends are worn/grooved and no matter what you try to do, it’ll leak. Could be time to disassemble the rear down to parade rest and have new ends put on, maybe narrow it a bit while your at it.

Now the LH side has some oil seeping. Both side are leaking now.
I saw couple of pics for rear clean axles, I think my housing is no good and should put another good clean one like 5.7 hemi said,

Those are mine

2.jpg العكس 5.jpg

and this what I think mine should be like

20180630_142307.jpg 20180630_144934.jpg

Last edited:
I am very curious to know were the the axle leaks from, and why, that will give the answer to solve the problem.

Finally I removed my father's 66 SW rear differential, it was the same P/N 2070741 and all the measurements were the same. The only difference is the ratio 3.55, mine is 2.94.
I don't know what effects does the 3.55 axle has on driving over the 2.94?, looks interchangeable though.
Wish someone shed some info on this subject.

Last edited:
Much greater rate of acceleration. Much less top speed and fuel mileage, and speedometer drive gear will need to be changed. Did you try a layer of silicone sealant in the housing bore before inserting the inner seal? I would also apply a bead of silicone around the seal perimeter and spread it with your finger to achieve a smooth fillet. Let it cure for 24 hours before driving.
Mike

You are overfilling the rear end. Should only be filled to where you can touch the oil with your finger through the hole you use to put the oil in. That would be about 3/4" lower than it is now.

Well, I did not install the 3.55 as I wanted everything original. filled the axle with oil till it spilled out of the filling hole. Drove the car for 83 miles, no leaks or oil dripping, I appreciate sharing your ideas in my thread.

One thing I missed to mention in post #44 that the problem of the axle leaking is both axle ends were the bearing sets is somehow oversized, or enlarged.
Axle bearing O.D 2.884"
actual LH axle housing I.D 2.931" RH axle housing I.D 2.987"
the difference is .047" at LH side and .103" at RH side
looks like some work has been done in the past, and that oversized diameter made the axle sets off center line which creates a gap between the bottom of the axle shaft and the inner seal letting the oil out.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back