• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back in the day, Where was the gas filler?

R413

Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
Back in the day it was behind the plate. The prices were higher then.

F6C18160-844B-42FB-B4E2-190C22645D23.png

They were either on the quarter, behind the plate, in the bumper, in the tail light or under the front bonnet.

Who remembers gas station attendants looking like her!
:usflag:

Coronet is still behind the plate, but, she's not!!

and pressurized by the spare tire?

Lol, that was the windshield washer that was pressurised by the spare tire.

Having the gas tank in the front of the car seemed a little scary but I never remember a explosion or fire when a beetle was in a head on, not saying it didn't happen. Now the Ford Pinto was a different situation when rear ended
hair-fire.gif

Last edited:

Having the gas tank in the front of the car seemed a little scary but I never remember a explosion or fire when a beetle was in a head on, not saying it didn't happen. Now the Ford Pinto was a different situation when rear endedView attachment 950724

I'm slipping.

My early VW super beetle had a gasoline heater. WTF were they thinking? 440'

Not all VW Bugs was down the hood. Laters were at a side on fender. I think since 68 or so.

3012.jpg

Last edited:
I'm slipping.

I'll tell you about something that was done with the Beetles back then that was quite scary. I'm thinking it was a aftermarket item and not done by VW but it was a heater, mounted under the dash that ran off the gas in the tank! I kid you not, twelve volt blower with a heat exchanger, using a spark plug to ignite it.

My '63 Plymouth has the cap behind the license plate; not long ago finally used a wire tie to leash the gas cap, was always a concern where to set it while filling up or forgetting to put it back on.

My old vette had the filler in the middle of the rear deck - what a pia that was to ensure not dripping gas on the paint from the nozzle to and fro.

My old vette had the filler in the middle of the rear deck - what a pia that was to ensure not dripping gas on the paint from the nozzle to and fro.
I took a shop rag and cut a hole in the center for the Wife's. Nicely stored right inside the flap. Thanksfully she doesn't miss that plastic thing....
corvette2018 023.JPG
corvettecleanupspring2018 136.JPG

Having the gas tank in the front of the car seemed a little scary but I never remember a explosion or fire when a beetle was in a head on, not saying it didn't happen. Now the Ford Pinto was a different situation when rear endedView attachment 950724

The VW didn't go fast enough when it hit something to explode and the Pinto went too slow to get out of the way :lol:

I worked in several gas stations in the early to mid seventies and helped with pumping gas when things got busy. Some cars became a scavenger hunt trying to find the cap. I only remember a couple of times having to ask the owner where it was and got a rude reply, like you would know where it was hidden. '50s and '60s autos were quite good at incorporating the filler in the chrome trim or tail light assembly.

The most fun we would have was watching the new guy trying to find the early VW gas filler.

I took a shop rag and cut a hole in the center for the Wife's. Nicely stored right inside the flap. Thanksfully she doesn't miss that plastic thing....
View attachment 950737 View attachment 950738

They would make me nervous when one pulled in for a fill up. I would always shake the nozzle out away from the car first, show that I cared and place a rag, then while filling try to listen for the tank getting full. All of this while the owner was watching over you!

Of course the GTX was behind the plate and no I don’t ever remember an attendant looking like her. If they did I’d still be working as a pump jockey...

Auto Transport Service
Back