• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Back to Mopar After 38 Years!

I purchased my 67 GTX in late 69 while serving in the USAF in Anchorage Alaska for 1800 bucks and I still have it...The transformations have gone from day 1, day2, drag car, and back to day1.

Mine is probably day 2 with day 1 exterior appearance. I like that for now but have to get used to the engine mods.

Part 7 - Good bye GTX:

I used this car as a daily driver for close to four years in Illinois. If you had a decent car up there you drove it from April through October then put it away and bought a snow beater for the winter. The snow beater already had most of the lower body panels flapping in the wind from rust, you patched holes in the floor with old street signs or whatever, it only had to last for five months and usually went to the boneyard after one winter. I bought a custom car cover and for at least two winters stored the GTX outside up on blocks with few problems, I would uncover it, start it and let it run in gear to warm everything up and circulate all the fluids. Back then in the time of real gasoline, I could fill it with Sunoco 260 in October and it still ran fine when I put it back on the street in late April!

Unfortunately even with winter storage Illinois life caught up. Rust bubbles spread on the doors, rockers and lower fenders. Someone backed into the drivers fender while it was parked on the street. I did some repair and patching but green metallic does not blend too well. By late 1975 my beating on the motor had the original rings worn and smoking a bit and the Dana had a noticeable "clunk" when I got on and off the throttle. I had already bought a new project car so it was time to let it go. I sold it for $1,075 and always regretted the sale - to the point that 38 years later I bought another one.

Not quite done - My Other Mopar Project - To be continued...

I bought my second Mopar project the day after I sold my 67 GTX in 1975. It was a 1970 AAR Cuda with the 340 six pack and I bought it for $875. I did a cosmetic resto on it and drove it for two years. From there I moved to Oldsmobiles and didn't own another Chrysler product until two months ago...

I know this is an E-body, I don't want to break any rules here - let me know if you want to know more.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0025.jpg
    IMG_0025.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 96
I'm not sure what the etiquette is, but I'd sure like to see more. That Cuda looks awesome Don!

Auto Transport Service
Back