• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Backside of newly chromed bumper

Spare Parts

Local time
2:49 AM
Reaction score
I just got some bumpers back from the chrome shop.
They look great.
However the backsides were not chromed.
They have the blasted exposed metal surface. I’m sure if they will gather surface rust left bare.
What do you guys use to coat the backside on a newly chromed bumper????
Some kinda clear? Silver spray paint???Other.

7D018FD7-BF86-4F15-B6A4-A451C765BE20.jpeg

They make a grey, silver and a clear Por 15. Pricey but so was the chrome. Just a thought. What did the plater say?

I just got some bumpers back from the chrome shop.
They look great.
However the backsides were not chromed.
They have the blasted exposed metal surface. I’m sure if they will gather surface rust left bare.
What do you guys use to coat the backside on a newly chromed bumper????
Some kinda clear? Silver spray paint???Other.

View attachment 1488668

That backside is chromed, just not polished... they dip the bumper to chrome them.. no way to really just do the outside (unless they blasted the inside after which would honestly be insane and add cost to a job for no reason).. I am insanely paranoid bout rust and i would probably leave it alone. BUT.. It's your piece of mind if you never wanna worry just paint it like you said..

I brushed on a cosmoline product to keep any rust from forming.

I've used rustoleum paint on the back of bumpers with good results.I use either gray or black.

Thanks for the replies all.
The plater suggested just silver spray paint.
The backside is bare.
Not sure of the chrome process,but they don’t waste any
product nowadays on backsides.
The silver por15 is a brush on application?
I remember using cosmoline
products on imported dodge colts when I worked at dodge in the 80s

The POR-15 can be sprayed or brushed. I chose to brush it on.

Cheers! Tom

After painting, wax it heavily before installation :thumbsup:

I paint the back sides with silver rustolium to seal them up. Keeps moisture from wicking thru the pores and rotting the show face from behind.

With the plating process, It is very difficult for the plating material (in this case chrome) to be drawn into recessed surface. It is an electrical process and is the same for zinc plating as well.

The recess areas, like the backside of a bumper, draw in little or no material and why it looks the way it does. Yes, it will eventually rust if not treated. That is the reason they all rust on the backside even from the factory. You can add an anode to the backside but is still only marginally effective. Some high end European car companies painted the inside of the bumpers a grey white to prevent the rusting. Not sure why they didn't do that over on this side of the pond. Doesn't matter what you paint or treat with, but it needs something.

I used a two part clear that you can buy in spray bomb cans these days. I sprayed it with a dry coat to simulate the unfinished chrome process.

Auto Transport Service
Back