• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad new ignition switch?

whayden2003

Local time
5:54 AM
Reaction score
Ok. Listen. First. Electrical is far from my best subject.
Car is a 1971 roadrunner. Automatic.
Car sat for a couple months without me driving it. Went to move it and it would not turn the starter over. No inside dash power to anything. Inspected it by pulled the column apart and found the ignition switch had fell apart(the back plastic had popped off). Changed ignition switch and was extremely careful to hook it up. I am getting power and ground everywhere I should except the yellow starting wire.
I have all accessory power inside now. But no power to the yellow starting wire when I turn it to the starting position.
Just looking for you guys advice. Is my luck that bad that I got a bad new ignition switch?

Neutral safety switch...
If I understand the way that circuit works I have it ruled out. I have grounded that side of the starter relay. I most likely may be assuming incorrectly that the ignition switch should send that voltage to the relay to basically do what I do to crank it now and jump the power poles on the relay.

I believe I should see power at the yellow starting wire out the ignition switch.

Trying to test it like this.

IMG_5573.png

Got it. The new ignition switch where the yellow starting wire was attached to the switch was not properly crimped to the switch. Loose connection. Bird is back in the wind. Lesson learned. Check before your completely reassemble the car when you change parts.

Ok. Listen. First. Electrical is far from my best subject.
Car is a 1971 roadrunner. Automatic.
Car sat for a couple months without me driving it. Went to move it and it would not turn the starter over. No inside dash power to anything. Inspected it by pulled the column apart and found the ignition switch had fell apart(the back plastic had popped off). Changed ignition switch and was extremely careful to hook it up. I am getting power and ground everywhere I should except the yellow starting wire.
I have all accessory power inside now. But no power to the yellow starting wire when I turn it to the starting position.
Just looking for you guys advice. Is my luck that bad that I got a bad new ignition switch?
Do you have a Factory Service Manual (FSM), for your particular year, as its an invaluable tool when trouble shooting electrical problems......it shows the WIRING diagram, from source to end point, wire gauge and color....it's available as a free down load........just a thought......
BOB RENTON

Do you have a Factory Service Manual (FSM), for your particular year, as its an invaluable tool when trouble shooting electrical problems......it shows the WIRING diagram, from source to end point, wire gauge and color....it's available as a free down load........just a thought......
BOB

Yep got one downloaded today.

Auto Transport Service
Back