• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad vibrations...

I can’t remember, when you installed the new driveshaft, did you check the driveline angles? opinions vary, but generally no more than 3* angle at each u joint and no more than 2* difference between front and back.

Here's hoping the leaf springs fix it when I get to purchasing them....
Little more out loud thinking...

Leaf springs, good. If your replacing them, you'll get into this anyway, but while your there...
Be sure to check the front hangers, the nuts that fasten the hanger to the frame.
Rear shackles bolts/nuts. Of course, new bushings.
On the springs themselves, there's a center bolt/locating pin, that puts the axle, and spring location correct. (I've seen the pin 'end' of that bolt snapped off! That would let the rear axle walk on the spring, moving around. Yes, and vibrating.)

This has been a long site,,,but some of the best information I have heard about possible causes of Vibrations in a car. We have all learnt something from this. CHEERS ,and THANKS to all members that passed their information and experience on to others.

When we were under the car yesterday, it's apparently clear that the rear axles has met the body quite a few times. Both bump stops on the outside are actually shaped funny from it hitting them or sitting in them for awhile, and the bump stop above the pinion yoke also has a rather obvious wear mark above it on the body. Makes me wonder what could've caused that to happen and what could've gotten messed up from it.
I suspect, given this info, that your rear end housing is bent. It doesn't take much, and chances are you may not be able to tell by eye, but through process of elimination it has to be a contributing factor. Keep your eyes peeled for a replacement diff (housing, axles, etc.) and hopefully that will finally solve your problem.

I suspect, given this info, that your rear end housing is bent. It doesn't take much, and chances are you may not be able to tell by eye, but through process of elimination it has to be a contributing factor. Keep your eyes peeled for a replacement diff (housing, axles, etc.) and hopefully that will finally solve your problem.

Go back and re-read my post #103. You may have something simular going on. As Centerline has posted above.

Some prior owner may have replaced the damaged wheel(s) and an axle, but not the actual housing. Its worth a shot.

You're saying you ran the car up to 80 without the driveshaft installed?

I chased a vibration like this in my Charger many years back for the entire summer. Did the usual, balanced wheels & tires. Tried a different set of wheels & tire. Replaced motor & trans mount. Tried a different B Body driveshaft etc. My engine turned out to be the engine damper. I put on a new Pioneer damper and the issues are no gone.

Auto Transport Service
Back