• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balance

67Bbody

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1979 LA 360 that I am having internally balanced. It will be balanced with the stock 360 balancer and a B&M external balanced flex plate. I would think that you would not want to use those 2 items? Wouldn't you want to use neutral balanced balancer and flex plate? But then again if EVERYTHING is balanced together, that would be fine, just need to use a NEUTRAL balanced converter. I am just a little confused

If you are having a 360 internal balanced, you will need a 340 balancer, and a neutral flexplate and converter. And have everything balanced together.
Are you doing this to a steel crank? I sure wouldnt bother with a cast crank!

If you are having a 360 internal balanced, you will need a 340 balancer, and a neutral flexplate and converter. And have everything balanced together.
So the way its being done is not the correct
Well he is using what I have posted here. I guess we'll see

Yea if you are balancing the crank internally by mallory metal and/or drilling it, then your balancer and flywheel/converter should be a neutral balance and be used when they do the whole assembly.

One of the main benefits of internal balance is that you can use any replacement damper or flywheel/flex plate/converter and so long as they are "neutral" it will be OK balance wise.
Unless you use neutral components I cannot see the benefit/point.

If your objective is to just be able to use a neutral balance converter, then what you have is fine. With the proper external balancer and flex plate you are good to go. To balance the rotating assembly properly those two items would have to be attached.

That's what I thought, balanced is balanced no matter what you have mounted to the crank. It will make a difference in the way it runs. As soon as I see the hp and torque numbers I will get my converter coming.

Thanks
If your objective is to just be able to use a neutral balance converter, then what you have is fine. With the proper external balancer and flex plate you are good to go. To balance the rotating assembly properly those two items would have to be attached.

That's what I thought, balanced is balanced no matter what you have mounted to the crank. It will make a difference in the way it runs. As soon as I see the hp and torque numbers I will get my converter coming.

Thanks
Engine is done, rotating assembly is now balanced. Externally on the front and internally in the rear. Had to remove 25 grams front and 48 in the rear. Dynoing it this week. After I get the numbers I can purchase my stall converter.

??????????????? that balance procedure makes no sense. Whose idea was the external front and internal rear balance ? If you are spending the money to have the assembly balanced why use a stock balancer anyway ? As said before a normal internal balance makes it much easier to get torque convertors, flywheels, etc.. You need much more info than dyno numbers to get a proper convertor. Stall speed will need to have vehicle weight, gearing etc..,. for the maker to recommend the proper convertor.
https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stori...-goes-into-stall-speed-in-a-torque-converter/
Keep us posted on how it works out

Last edited:
??????????????? that balance procedure makes no sense. Whose idea was the external front and internal rear balance ? If you are spending the money to have the assembly balanced why use a stock balancer anyway ? As said before a normal internal balance makes it much easier to get torque convertors, flywheels, etc.. You need much more info than dyno numbers to get a proper convertor. Stall speed will need to have vehicle weight, gearing etc..,. for the maker to recommend the proper convertor.
https://www.dragzine.com/tech-stori...-goes-into-stall-speed-in-a-torque-converter/
Keep us posted on how it works out
I have all my info. This was the last peice I needed, and very important at that. I was questioning this procedure myself at first, so I called 2 or 3 machine shop/ engine builders and they all said doing it this way was perfectly fine and they all have done it many times. As far as being EASIER, as long as all the information is known about the engine, buying parts is a non issue. Every aftermarket company makes parts for internal or external balanced engines.. I have looked at all of them, and they are plentiful. I will let you know how it goes, going to be some time yet before the engine swap.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back