• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barrett Jackson Road Runner

pro-streeter

Local time
4:47 AM
Reaction score
1969 Road Runner 383 numbers matching Four-speed. From the pictures posted online the car looks to be pretty nice well restored. It sold for just over $60,000 at Barrett Jackson 2014. What are the opinions of the value on this car and Barrett Jackson? Are these cars truly worth that kind of money, compared to Hemi or six barrel Road Runners?

1969 Road Runner 383 numbers matching Four-speed. From the pictures posted online the car looks to be pretty nice well restored. It sold for just over $60,000 at Barrett Jackson 2014. What are the opinions of the value on this car and Barrett Jackson? Are these cars truly worth that kind of money, compared to Hemi or six barrel Road Runners?

Its worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I looked at it yesterday. It had a few things wrong that could easily be corrected but the rear window stainless was pop riveted together in the lower corners which makes me wonder where the clips are. Over all nice looking but some one over paid big time.

Its worth whatever someone will pay for it.

I agree. It's an auction. It can only sell for what someone is willing to bid.

That's what that car's perceived value was worth to that specific person on that particular day.

"nut & bolt resto" with pop riveted trim,GTX tail lights, Charger seats......wonder if the giy would like to buy another one....

not sure I will have to check but I believe that I had posted that one from BJ auction on here at one time

"69 RR what's not to like? a real 60's muscle car with the right stuff...BIG block, 4 SPEED, E Z to work on
in meticulous condition....the right color....:icon_eyes:(I'd dream of this!!)

but would try to buy for a little better price...:sFun_doh2:

60k for a 383 roadrunner, wth? And agree the pop rivets raise questions about the resto.
Reminds me of the "nut and bolt resto" Charger someone posted on here some months ago, where the underside of the car looked like it hadn't been touched since 1969.

Sure "it's worth what someone will pay for it" but imo someone overpaid by a lot..

IMO,
Barrett-Jackson auctions has been solely & personally responsible for the anomally we see today of over-pricing muscle cars.
The "triclke-down" effect has touched each and everyone of us.
How many of you have seen "over-inflated" prices of muscle cars in your local area?
We ALL know the story, someone has a car, its a rust bucket but salvageable and the pwner want "top-dollar + for the car"
And, the "parts" for cars have gone through the roof too.
B-J had been sued for selling a car too quickly a few years ago.
A Hemi Cuda w/ race pedigree. Comes to fruition, the buyer WAS a friend of the "B-J" team.
Yup, B-J won the lawsuit but now you tell me...when B-J is auctioning a car, havent you seen them stop the auction and say: "Ladies and Gentlemen, I dont think you know what we have here"

Just my opinion...

This was 2007 when prices were high...
UPDATE:
Here is a comment:
Begin quote:
"PHOENIX -- A Michigan judge is being sued by an Arizona collector car auction company after he accused the firm of underselling his classic vehicle.

David Clabuesch said his 1970 Hemi 'Cuda sold for $300,000 at Scottsdale's Barrett-Jackson Collector Car Auction in January but the muscle car should have fetched $700,000 to $1 million.

Barrett-Jackson is suing Clabuesch in U.S. District Court in Phoenix for "outrageous and defamatory actions," including chaining the car's wheels at the auction tent and putting up a sign calling its sale void.

Internet chats and blogs regarding Clabuesch's claims are harming the car auction's business interests, Virginia Llewelyn, Barrett-Jackson's corporate counsel, said Friday.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday, seeks unspecified damages and asks Clabuesch to stop maligning Barrett-Jackson.

Clabuesch, a 57-year-old judge in the Huron County Probate Court, said he did not defame Barrett-Jackson.

"They quick-gaveled the car," said Clabuesch, who protested the bidding procedure immediately and is willing to let a jury decide whether the sale was handled properly.

He said he had about $225,000 invested in the car -- the last authenticated Ramchargers racer -- through purchase and trademark investments.

Clabuesch said he plans his own legal action against Barrett-Jackson.

Llewelyn said internal Barrett-Jackson documents, used to determine which day to sell the car, indicated the 'Cuda was worth about $200,000."
End quote.

IMO,
Barrett-Jackson auctions has been solely & personally responsible for the anomally we see today of over-pricing muscle cars.
The "triclke-down" effect has touched each and everyone of us.
How many of you have seen "over-inflated" prices of muscle cars in your local area?
We ALL know the story, someone has a car, its a rust bucket but salvageable and the pwner want "top-dollar + for the car"
And, the "parts" for cars have gone through the roof too.
B-J had been sued for selling a car too quickly a few years ago.
A Hemi Cuda w/ race pedigree. Comes to fruition, the buyer WAS a friend of the "B-J" team.
Yup, B-J won the lawsuit but now you tell me...when B-J is auctioning a car, havent you seen them stop the auction and say: "Ladies and Gentlemen, I dont think you know what we have here"

Just my opinion...

I do agree however, it's funny to me how the trickle down has worked....

In the real world right now project cars needing tons of restoration can go for a 6-10 range but completed "driver" restorations fetch mid teen's.... BJ definitely is the biggest driving force for "Numbers Mean Everything" as you watch the first 2 days of auction and see Resto-Mod's with 70-80k invested sell for in the 40 range and then you'll get the odd car that goes for something crazy and you shake your head and wonder why... the "why" is HYPE! as soon as multiple buyers are interested it's as much a game to some of these people with deep pockets as it is car buying! I forget the one billionaire gentlemen's name they always refer to but I know now that essentially any car he expresses an interest in no one will bid against him because it's pointless.... he drives the prices way up and overpays everything BECAUSE HE CAN!

There are so many influencing factors at BJ that are harmful to the regular car market for sure.. A market that's hard enough to understand as it is these days!

I heard a rumor several years ago (and it was just a rumor) that Classic Car Auctions are a great way of Laundering/Cleaning money from the Ground up.... and that a lot of people looking to clean this money also drive the prices way up.... I guess it makes sense from this perspective... Buy a car for Cash... Spend 20-30k on parts/materials Cash... flip the car at Auction for 40 and you may not have a profit but your money is clean!

For a car to sell at that price, more than one person was interested. I think matching numbers is the key. A matching numbers hemi would have sold for six figures +. A hemi (instead of the 383) in this car is no longer matching number and I doubt if the price would have increased.

I love this sale - the asking price for my 68 just went up.

Auto Transport Service
Back