• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barry Newman won't be coming down for breakfast

Damn, RIP "Kowalski"....and I just saw him on an episode of "Murder She Wrote".

Hope the Pearly Gates open wider than those dozer blades...
RIP underrated actor, cool dude.

Last edited:
RIP
VPT-Social.jpg

I thought he passed in 1971.our soul hero,in his soul Challenger! A man to which speed means freedom of the soul! Rip Barry!

Seeing Vanishing Point on TV in 1976 when I was 14 is what turned me into a Mopar guy. Barry as Kowalski changed my life. RIP

His passing on makes me feel more – old. He was older than I thought at near a ¼ century. Took my Cuda to the outdoor movie theater to see that movie on a double-date. Glad I got everyone home safely. Those in my age range remember many great stars back when, when they were in their prime now mostly gone. Cycle of life. Hope Barry is enjoying the Challenger…somewhere.

Much as I was a huge fan of the movie, did think about the poor schmuck in Frisco waiting for Kowalski to deliver his new ride, lol. If he didn’t crash it (despite it being a Camaro) he’d a got one big pile of chit. Just breaking in your new car for ya..

I tried to reach out to Mr. Newman years ago to get my 1/18th scale model of the Dirty Challenger autographed. My letters were returned.

Last edited:
letters were returned
Lol, have a Green Bay Packers mini-helmet signed by Brett Favre. Some things can be better left unautographed? Just kiddin. Not knocking Mr. Newman here at all, just reminded me about autographs. I’d think he might have been interested signing; but their agents or fan org’s can block this. If so, that’s a darn shame. Vanishing Point catapulted his fame much to his own surprise as I've heard.

Maybe he read some of your posts here and made his decision based on that.

1 laugh 3.jpg

Ha, most likely. I did see Vanishing Point at the Drive-In when it came out. I vowed to have a Challenger. We have a '71 in Sublime but we run the Kowalski Colorado license plate on the front of the car. When we get busted I think the cops are going to be pissed about that.

I"m not sure how many of you have watched Tarrantino's Death Proof but it relates to Vanishing Point.

When I read Barry Newman my brain thought Randy Newman.

RIP Barry

(too bad, I only wish it was a different Barry)

70 Challenger RT Vanishing Point #3 Kowalski jumping.jpg

eBay advertisers have Barry Newman autographed items for sale.
:p

I thought the world of the guy, as much as one can without actually knowing him...
I tend to "go down rabbit holes" online when I research things and try to read all I can on whatever
(or in this case, whoever) when my interest is piqued.

I had just watched VP for like the bazillionth time last week again, a favorite for burning up the hours
in the middle of the night, since I don't sleep much for years now.
Great 3am watch, headphones on...no distractions that way and I'm not disturbing my wifes' slumber.

Apparently just a humble man in the end, living out his years in NYC. His neice said he actually was
quite the careful driver in real life. Ironic, eh?
In-depth interview done in 2019:
AN INTERVIEW WITH BARRY NEWMAN (PART 1 OF 3)

Rest in Peace, sir....and thank you for your service as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back