• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

base coat over acrylic enamel

beebest

Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
Can you use base coat over acrylic enamel and if not, anyone still shooting their cars in acrylic enamel with success?

Thanks for the replies. I don't want to strip anymore if I can avoid it. My local jobber suggested sealer, but cautioned that it may still lift. Has anyone sealed over enamel and then base coat with any luck? I may go old school and just shoot the acrylic.

I never messed with enamel but to the best of my understanding if you use a hardener with single stage enamel, the end result is not much different than single stage urethane. It can be color sanded and buffed and small defects corrected. Still have the health protection issues with the isocyanate though.

actually, if the a/e is "sound" and finish sanded with 600 or such, you can base over it....... but putting the base on too wet, the reducer may attack the a/e and cause lift; it can work , but not recommended and probably wont last

you could sand the a/e with 220 or similar and epoxy prime over top, sand and paint ........ other than stripping the a/e off, this would be the way to go

me? I'd get it down to bare metal or factory primer, epoxy prime it and work from there....... short cut will usually bite you in the ***

most epoxy primers can also be used as a thin sealer (follow instructions)...... I sometimes do this over the sanded epoxy just prior to paint......it's the only "sealer" I would trust

Thanks again for everyone's input, I'm leaning towards just spraying the acrylic enamel and sanding and buffing any small defects out.

Painted my 68 today mm1 turbine bronze using acrylic enamel, over all came out pretty darn good. Metallic laid very nice.

20230930_194431.jpg

20230930_194610.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back