• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Battery relocate questions...

And of course, THAT is NOT a MOPAR in the PIC....

I love the use of ultra rare zero-friction zip ties on the driveshaft allowing unhindered driveshaft rotation while supporting the battery cable stationary beneath.

Saw those on eBay once. Shoulda never let them get away.

Just relocated my battery to the trunk, and I have just one question (for now) - has anyone found a readily available cover for the ford solenoid? I use the trunk a lot and want to do something to protect it - other than wrap the connections in electrical tape.

Thanks! Oh and I'll post a few pix in a few.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 313815

View attachment 313816

View attachment 313817

View attachment 313818

Why not mount the relay too the outside of the box between the fender. Out of sight, out of mind....

Time to awaken this ol thread. After a year of off and on looking, finally decided to make my own... gonna 3D print it.

IMG_4937.JPG
IMG_4926.JPG

Why not mount the relay too the outside of the box between the fender. Out of sight, out of mind....

It's a good idea but in this case, walls of the box are removable, I don't want to have to try to wrestle the 00 wire when I have to slip it over the battery from time to time. Otherwise, that's exactly what I'd have done.

Relay on left is fuel pump. Relay on right is trans cooler fan. Solenoid for starter center. I added gauge to use in pit with charger. Switch controls gauge. This setup has worked very well.
20160804_233941.jpg

HT413 did you ever get your engine fixed, what was the problem?

Thanks for remembering. Oil pressure loss was caused by the threaded plug on the back of the oil pump that holds the spring and pressure relief piston in. It loosened and popped out at the finish line. When I let up and started to brake I noticed the gauge fall to 0. I did learn when this happens you only lose the oil in the pump. It squirts back on headers and causes what looks like a catastrophic engine failure. Fortunately no fire. Towed back to the pit and studied all lines and possible causes. Could see nothing. (The plug is up over the K member and impossible to see with headers on.) We loaded and towed home. Found the problem when removing the headers. That engine had lots of runs and we wanted to go faster so we built a 540.

Pretty sure he was talking to me.

HT413 did you ever get your engine fixed, what was the problem?

69, please excuse the rude interruption. Such nerve. :D

I just got the bearings in the other day (waited for 5 or so weeks) so I should be taking it to the machine shop for a thorough cleaning and inspection very soon.

IMG_4942.jpg
Should be done in 10 hours! Of course my shop is closed for the holiday, so I'll have to wait for Tuesday.

Those 3D printers are pretty amazing, we have them also.

View attachment 427662 Should be done in 10 hours! Of course my shop is closed for the holiday, so I'll have to wait for Tuesday.
Holidays pay double time and a half !! Sorry for stepping in. Its the Bi Polar with a touch of Dyslexia kicking in !!

Last edited:
My thought is to mount the solenoid behind the battery box, instead of in front of it. Turn the box around and run the cables through the trunk floor just outside the box with rubber grommets. That would look clean as a whistle and protect the solonoid from accidental bumps.
(My 2 cents)

69, please excuse the rude interruption. Such nerve. :D

I just got the bearings in the other day (waited for 5 or so weeks) so I should be taking it to the machine shop for a thorough cleaning and inspection very soon.
How could it possibly take that long to get parts??????

Here it is. The top got a little fubar'd but for the most part it fits like a dream and does the job. Probably just toss a mopar sticker on it and call it a day.

IMG_4978.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG

Nice box! I got this self-fuse tape the other day at home depot. It's great for electrical wrapping.
I'm planning on a fiberglass trunk lid which I'm going to pin on the rear and may use stock hinges which is what I think you have, and I'm going with a trunk batt also. I think I'm going to do away with the trunk lock and try to put a kill switch in that hole so I won't have to drill a hole in my tail-panel. But I did away with my door locks too. Not worried about thieves because my car will never be out of my site unless it's locked in my shop.

355623-d40ec6c6b922ddb7c26d06d3398e70d6.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back