• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB ProComp heads any good?

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:16 AM
Reaction score
Ones in question are big block PC3065C's. A buddy bought a set and someone is offering to port them but my buddy's car isn't really all that wild. Not sure of the cam spec but I know it's less than .500 lift and don't know what pistons are going back in either. I'm thinking out of the box will be more than plenty for his combo.....

In my experience with low cost chinese knockoffs, ProComp is the name that a chinese company that counterfeits American products changed to after major problems. Here is a link to Hughes Engineering that explains some of the quirks that they have seen.

#2---Pro Comp Cylinder Heads (hughesengines.com)

I had a GM 350 come in that every part in it except for the block was a chinese knockoff. The customer couldn't understand why it was going to cost as much or more to fix all of the issues that he was having.

In my experience with low cost chinese knockoffs, ProComp is the name that a chinese company that counterfeits American products changed to after major problems. Here is a link to Hughes Engineering that explains some of the quirks that they have seen.

#2---Pro Comp Cylinder Heads (hughesengines.com)
Heard about that going on back then but couldn't remember what heads they were. Don't think the guy that wants to do the port work mentioned anything about fixing the push rod tunnels....

Pro Comp is now Speedmaster.

Ever notice how the part numbers start with “PCE”?
Pro Comp Electronics.

Originally when they were still calling themselves Pro Comp, the first Mopar head they offered was the copy of an Ede Victor BB head.
Is that what your friend has?

Pro Comp Electronics.

Originally when they were still calling themselves Pro Comp, the first Mopar head they offered was the copy of an Ede Victor BB head.

Thanks, I was trying to remember the "Pro Comp Electronics", but couldn't. Speedmaster and Speedmaster79 are the same too. When they get busted, they just slightly change names and still sell garbage to unsuspecting people.

In all fairness, the stuff has gotten better.

Those early Victor copies were def a buyer beware situation.
I had read a thread on a forum when those heads hadn’t been out all that long where a guy bought a whole top end package, and when he was mocking everything up discovered the valves were way too long.
That seemed king of odd to me, but who knows.

Then a few years later I get an early set here to repair.
They had been run on a pulling truck for a little while until they dropped a valve.
Turns out they had the way too long valves in them too.
But...... not only were the valves too long, they were too big around and were clipping each other.
The guides were totally shot........ which was a common issue with early PC heads.

The chinese stuff can be ok if, and only IF, the QAQC on this side of the pond does their job and verify quality. If they don't, that is when we see complete garbage over here.

Pro Comp Electronics.

I'm thinking they are early heads.....especially if the guy he bought them from is calling them Pro Comps. The seller's dad passed away awhile back and he's been selling off all of his dad's stuff and the heads were the last of the parts....and probably for good reason that they were the last to go. My buddy traded him an old 4 wheeler that needs work and only paid 300 for the 4 wheeler so he's not into them for very much. He's supposed to bring the heads over today or tomorrow for me to look at so thanks for the heads up. I have read about the valves being too long but didn't read anything about them clipping each other but that has always been something I check for anyways. Still have an old manual spring compressor so may pull a valve to check the length....

Valve length should be around 4.88, right?

I don't think there's any way they can hit at 50

The intake valves are a pretty common length. Same as a .100” long BBC, so there are plenty of diameter choices for those.
.050” between them is plenty.

The ones I had here with the 1.88/2.25’s..... they were more like .005”-.010” apart.

1.88/2.25:
7D5321C0-3757-474E-AD40-164D03DA6189.jpeg

1.81/2.20:
C83B7501-B1C5-47A5-97F1-CB7DD0355A58.jpeg

Last edited:
Kimmers intake port openings look bigger than the one set of cnc ported SM Victors I had here.

Are those MW size?

Auto Transport Service
Back