• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Been offered a Dana 60

aussiewannabee69

Local time
2:45 PM
Reaction score
Car is 69 dodge coronet-440/6 pack. A guy I work with has a dana 60 with 4.11 gears in it. Wants 400 bucks Aussie. I think them gears might be too high as it will be a cruiser with the occasional blast. The current diff is only a 8 1/4.
Is it easy and affordable to change over gears or would it be less of a headache to buy a complete one? Haven't seen it first hand as he lives 1000klms away from me but i can get more info and pics this week.

Screenshot_20201012-104938_Messenger.jpg Screenshot_20201011-195211_Gallery.jpg

Seriously, you have an 8 1/4 in the rear of that thing or an 8 3/4" ?? If the later, why waste your money and time.

Seriously, you have an 8 1/4 in the rear of that thing or an 8 3/4" ?? If the later, why waste your money and time.
Na its an 8 1/4 hence needing the upgrade. Not to worry. Its not a driver at the moment. More like garage art.

4.10's to much gear unless you don't drive much over 65 kph. MO because done that. Is it a truck rear? Can't tell by pictures no axle ends and no axles? Does it have a sure-grip? 3.54 gears for all around driving. MO.

4.10's to much gear unless you don't drive much over 65 kph. MO because done that. Is it a truck rear? Can't tell by pictures no axle ends and no axles? Does it have a sure-grip? 3.54 gears for all around driving. MO.

No snubber mount so yeah, truck Dana.... Your search continues..

Yeah way too high. I agree. Too may revs. Truck rear, would that matter?

Ok so I can't use this one? The housing?

Pinion snubber mount is cast into the housing... Only present on car Danas.... This one doesn't have it... People have fabricated custom mounts but generally they don't work well or for very long...

Pinion snubber mount is cast into the housing... Only present on car Danas.... This one doesn't have it... People have fabricated custom mounts but generally they don't work well or for very long...
Ah ok. That's a bugger. Cheers for the info

Car is 69 dodge coronet-440/6 pack. A guy I work with has a dana 60 with 4.11 gears in it. Wants 400 bucks Aussie. I think them gears might be too high as it will be a cruiser with the occasional blast. The current diff is only a 8 1/4.
Is it easy and affordable to change over gears or would it be less of a headache to buy a complete one? Haven't seen it first hand as he lives 1000klms away from me but i can get more info and pics this week.

View attachment 1013039 View attachment 1013040

Talk to doctor diff, Cass told me dana centers are cast steel so you can fab pinion snubber mount bosses up and weld them on. If that is not a powerlock, has wrong gears, needs axles and ends, might be cheaper to go s60 depending on shipping. The bolt in S60 housing is pretty reasonable.

Talk to doctor diff, Cass told me dana centers are cast steel so you can fab pinion snubber mount bosses up and weld them on. If that is not a powerlock, has wrong gears, needs axles and ends, might be cheaper to go s60 depending on shipping. The bolt in S60 housing is pretty reasonable.
Yeah it would only be the housing I would be using but if I can get something easier/cheaper and still quality I'm all for it. Dr Diff i will look that up.
Thanks.

I agree with others, it's a truck piece, it's if not a limited slip in the Dana, not worth much. With the Dana 60 a 4.10 will give you too much RPM as a cruiser. I wouldn't worry about no pinion snubber, if you have good springs & shocks and your roads aren't really bumpy. 8 /34" rear would be adequate for most all cruiser 440-6 cars. And I am Dana 60 for my high HP cars that go to the strip.

I agree with others, it's a truck piece, it's if not a limited slip in the Dana, not worth much. With the Dana 60 a 4.10 will give you too much RPM as a cruiser. I wouldn't worry about no pinion snubber, if you have good springs & shocks and your roads aren't really bumpy. 8 /34" rear would be adequate for most all cruiser 440-6 cars. And I am Dana 60 for my high HP cars that go to the strip.
Yeah i think it will be too much of a stuff around.
Rough roads. I live in Rural Australia, nothing but rough haha.

Yeah i think it will be too much of a stuff around.
Rough roads. I live in Rural Australia, nothing but rough haha.

On the rough roads, you will just feel the snubber smacking the floor pan, not the u joint. I know this from experience on my 1st car a '70 Barracuda dealer demo car, less than 12.000 miles, banged on rough roads. Took it back to the dealer. OOPS no snubber. Put one on. Big bumps, still hit the floor pan, but didn't sound as loud. My drag racing days proved it was not really a traction aid. Springs and shocks do that job. Just my experience.

Auto Transport Service
Back